Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Because of this thread length, I have made a Table of Contents. This Table is on P. 22, http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=315

Totch—I have a couple of those tie downs in the garage. They may be useful.

Regarding dangers in our neighborhood. Everglades—we rarely see snakes as we travel along coastal Everglades. We did once come across a 6-ft Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake (5-6” diameter) when we stopped on shore for lunch. Fortunately, its business end pointed away from us, but its rattler was about a foot from me (& Nancy, she walked by it.) Black bears, panthers, and bobcats are all present, but we never see or hear them. I can show you lots of crocs on the beaches of East Cape Sable in late March. Alligators are more inland in fresh water. Both crocs and gators have a healthy fear of people and keep their distance. Still, there are MANY places I would never go into the water after dark.

Sharks are always present everywhere in the Everglades and coastal waters. People are not their regular diet, but in this tannin-stained, debris & mud-dirtied, coastal water they can make mistakes. I never put my hands in the water for more than a second or two.

My greatest concern is for bears—both grizzly and black (play dead when attacked by a grizzly, fight back hard if attacked by a black.) We’ve done 4 sea kayak trips in Alaska and many trips to the great National Parks, like Yellowstone and Glacier. When camping in the wilderness in these places, bears are constantly on my mind. BTW, Grizzlies and black bears are incompatible, at least from the Grizzlies viewpoint. Grizzlies attack and kill any black bears they encounter. Fortunately, the 2 usually inhabit different territories.

Have a nice holiday everyone. It has been another great year.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am reminded of this sign... :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Alaska, Nancy & I always carried bear spray--2. It does work, at least temporarily. It is a good idea to move out after any encounter.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Mark--If you are going out that far, you do need to tether yourself to your boat. Remember the saying (mine): accidents happen when you least expect them, and they happen fast. Be careful. Yeah, that cooler is great to use with an AI--I'm not sure where you will put it on a Tandem unless you are going solo--then you could put it in the front cockpit, I guess.

Keith

Keith, thanks for your concern. I understand that one should be concerned and try the upmost to be prepared for the worst case scenarios of the unpredictable ocean. BUT, that being said, life is short and death comes to us all, I fear not the sea, but embrace the beauty and challenges it offers. If I should perish by sea, so be it, I accept that possibility.
In short, I don't get so caught up in needing every little safety device or piece of equipment, if I did, then I'd probably never do many extreme adventures.

As far as tethering oneself to the Kayak, I am not convinced that this is a wise decision, thinking thru all the possible scenarios. Let alone all the issues of clutter a tether would make, possible creating further issues. In short, there is enough noise on the AI/TI fishing, making it more simple is the more enjoyable, safer choice in my opinion. Be it, that I am fit and physically capable, which is the biggest safety concern for extreme outings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agreed Bob. I fact I think that 'the unknown' is probably the biggest fear for most of us. I don't hesitate in camping out anywhere here in Australia. You get to know how to look out for the dangers.
But if you dropped me in the bush in bear country, I don't reckon there would be much sleeping going on. How do youz ever relax ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My (Australian) daughter is living in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island. She is afraid to go outside because the Cougars have eaten all of the deer and are now hanging around town looking for other things to eat.......

Brad

Long Jetty

"Kayaking Bob" Spray Skirts
Trampolines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yaker wrote:
Chekika wrote:
Mark--If you are going out that far, you do need to tether yourself to your boat. Remember the saying (mine): accidents happen when you least expect them, and they happen fast. Be careful. Yeah, that cooler is great to use with an AI--I'm not sure where you will put it on a Tandem unless you are going solo--then you could put it in the front cockpit, I guess.

Keith

Keith, thanks for your concern. I understand that one should be concerned and try the upmost to be prepared for the worst case scenarios of the unpredictable ocean. BUT, that being said, life is short and death comes to us all, I fear not the sea, but embrace the beauty and challenges it offers. If I should perish by sea, so be it, I accept that possibility.
In short, I don't get so caught up in needing every little safety device or piece of equipment, if I did, then I'd probably never do many extreme adventures.

As far as tethering oneself to the Kayak, I am not convinced that this is a wise decision, thinking thru all the possible scenarios. Let alone all the issues of clutter a tether would make, possible creating further issues. In short, there is enough noise on the AI/TI fishing, making it more simple is the more enjoyable, safer choice in my opinion. Be it, that I am fit and physically capable, which is the biggest safety concern for extreme outings.

Yes, it is all about choices. I've lived a long and fairly interesting life. If I died tomorrow, and I could think about it, I would say, "Fine, that's life." On the other hand, I'm still having fun. So, if you said to me, do you have a problem with dying tomorrow? I'd say, "Yes."

So, to say, I might die at sea is not the same as saying I want to die at sea. To say, I'm not worried about dying is not the same as saying "I don't mind if I die tomorrow because I did something stupid." At your age, I wasn't even into the best part of my life or, at least I had a lot more worthwhile living to do. Being physically fit, may not make a whole lot of difference if you get separated from your boat 20 mi off shore. I like the whitewater kayaker mantra: "Don't do a Class 5 river if you can't do a Class 5 swim." Bottom line, taking some simple precautions when doing somewhat adventuresome/dangerous things is simply being prudent and does not reflect on ones attitude toward death or danger. I have learned to be comfortable shifting the odds in my favor, if things suddenly go south--it is not a measure of my masculinity.

I just reflected this morning on a couple "accidents" I've had on the water. (1) I had a rented skiff for my wife and myself. I was fishing off the elevated bow--light wind and not much current flowing. I stepped off the elevated bow into the console area. Next second I was in the water. In stepping off the bow, I had mis-stepped and bumped the console--bumped it hard enough that it knocked me off the boat. There was no stumbling, no grabbing as I tried to catch myself. No, one step, one bump, and splash--I'm in the water.

(2) For a number of years, I had a Carolina Skiff--a square bow skiff. I fished from it frequently, and you could amble back and forth along the 6-ft square bow. My brother-in-law came down, and I hired a guide to take us fishing. We were fishing off the pointed bow of the guide boat, when I took a step. Next second, I'm in the water. I literally just stepped off the front of the boat--it was not my square-bow skiff. Careless, stupid, yes. And possibly deadly if you were there by yourself. I can see the epitaph on my tome stone: "He died doing what he loved to do--fishing." But, I don't really want to die fishing.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith for you tenacity on this subject of tethering oneself to the kayak while out front alone. I will reconsider and try this out, to see if I can find an easy way to make a tether work without hindering too much my fishing. I do have a couple surf tethers that I was going to consider using for such a task, attaching one to the rear aka.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While on the subject of safety, especially on solo trips, here is my NRS c-Vest PDF and its contents.

The important devices are the VHF radio, SPOT (a messaging and locating beacon device), and Leatherman Skeletool--with pliers & very sharp knife. These important items are tethered to the c-Vest. Closed up it looks like this.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hummm, like the idea of the SPOT. Just can't find any information about how it would work here in Costa Rica. Like, who's going to come get you? LOL, it's like the old days here, your on your own. I'll have to look into it a little harder. Already carry a VHF.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

@stringy: that morning I stepped out of my tent, blurry eyed, I couldn't believe I was teatering on the edge of a low-tide cliff.

Thanks to all on the positive comments on my Broughton BC video!

@tony: hilarious sign. Inspite of all the bad stuff you hear about bears, I came across three and they seemed very non-malicious, (except the one clawing the ground behind my tent). I've lost most of my fear of bears. Cougars are much more aggressive (on Vancouver Island itself), I chickened-out on one beach and moved-on because of that.

This is great sharing of ideas on how to deal with the weight of the H. Islands, I thing I'll be using one of 3 of the techniques for dealing with the tide range, depending on the beach.

I used the SPOT device on the trip (got the idea from 'Dogs Life'), It gave everyone peace of mind, including myself. It's a great safety precaution, I was totally on my own in that place, once you leave the boat ramp, you are only accessible by water and float planes, and once you are 'rescued', you're still a long long ways from a decent hospital. It was difficult for me to pay the annual amount they want, but is much cheaper then the alternative.

YakAttaque

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I like the idea of this SPOT device after reading more, online. Thanks guys, it's on my to do list.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakAttaque wrote:
Inspite of all the bad stuff you hear about bears, I came across three and they seemed very non-malicious, (except the one clawing the ground behind my tent). I've lost most of my fear of bears. Cougars are much more aggressive (on Vancouver Island itself), I chickened-out on one beach and moved-on because of that.
YakAttaque

Personally, I think everyone should disabuse themselves of the idea that black bears are "non-malicious." According to Wikipedia black bear attacks outnumber grizzly attacks. That may be because there are more black bears than grizzlies. "1,028 incidents of black bears acting aggressively toward people, 107 of which resulted in injury, were recorded from 1964 to 1976 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and occurred mainly in tourist hotspots where people regularly fed the bears handouts. (Wikipedia)"

I'm also aware of 3 stalking incidents involving black bears--one ended in the death of a woman, the other 2 ended in the death of the black bear. If you run into a hungry black bear, you may be in for an unfriendly encounter. I think black bears are quite devious. They will steal your backpack when you are not looking. Black bears are also famous for "bluff charges." That may have been part of the ritual the black bear pawing the ground behind your tent was going through. Most black bears have a healthy respect for people because they are hunted & killed regularly. In more populated areas they are trapped and transported to wilderness areas (from which they usually find their way back to their home.) In National Parks bears are not hunted, and, generally, not trapped. Also, Alaska, while bears are hunted, they are also protected most of the year. So, one might find more aggressive black bears in these areas. BTW, Grizzlies do not bluff.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Black, Brown, Grizzly…..I don't care what colour or what temperament. I'll stick to my koala thanks.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter--If a bear got that close I would certainly give him a extremely hard whack with the butt of my gun, if for no other reason than to teach him (he was a young black bear) a healthy respect for people. It has been about 60 yrs since I last hunted. I've never carried a gun since. The only place I would have liked the comfort of a gun, was in Alaska on our two, 2-wk self-supported, self-guided trips in Glacier Bay National Park. Still, no one has died of a bear attack in the Park since 1947--that last guy got a picture of the grizzly as it walked towards him. Fortunately, the National Park Service recognizes that people absolutely must not feed bears. In places like Grand Teton NP and Glacier Bay NP, backcountry campers must use "bear canisters" for all their food. Bear canisters are bear proof containers--yes, I know, there is one black bear in NE USA which has learned how to open one type of canister. The idea behind the bear canisters (& hanging food bags from bear poles) is to teach bears that people do not have available food. By and large it works to minimize bear/people encounters. Of course, if the bear is starving for some reason, he may decide that you are the food, and that can be problematic.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 80  Next