Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do You Need Another Hobby?

How about a quadcopter drone? These things are great, but a good one is not cheap. You are looking at about $1000 or more. Still, they are fun and have tons of filming capabilities.

For simple pictures, my DJI Mavic Pro is excellent. Here is a shot of sunrise over Biscayne Bay. The flag out on a flat has been there for years. I’m sure it has replaced more than once.

A picture of a blossoming Poinciana tree in my back yard, but taken about 15 ft. up.

The following pictures were taken with my drone

Videos taken with my Mavic Pro aren't bad, but I'm still learning about them. Here is one taken in very low light.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Impressive pics and video Keith. 8)
The stabilised video looks great.
Drone technology has really come of age. Watching the Americas Cup you would often see the drones that were responsible for some of the great onboard sailing clips.
Looking forward to more pics/vids, especially following shots of AI/TI sailing!
Are you game to use it over water or even onboard while sailing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Stringy,

No qualms about flying over water. Many of those pictures were taken over water. I've thought about flying it off from an Island, but that will have to wait until this Fall.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PhotoBucket has greatly increased the cost of doing business with them. My cost for having Photobucket host my images has gone from about $4/month to $39.99/month. They have cheaper plans if you host a lesser number of images with them. They also have a large number of ads which intrude upon your work. Again, you can pay to get rid of the ads.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have one word for Photobucket. GOODBYE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That drone looks like fun, Keith. I've been considering the Phantom 3 and 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, I went with the Mavic Pro because it packs up so small and is easy to tote along. It can be unpacked and set up in a couple minutes.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your pics have disappeared already Keith.
Switching to Dropbox solved my pic posting problems. It's free and has no ads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, I have a new image hosting site: Cloudinary https://cloudinary.com/console

Here are a couple pictures I took with my drone of some petroglyphs near by, i.e., near Taos, NM, at 7000 ft.

These are just local petroglyphs that I could walk to with my drone. If you want to see great petroglyphs, go to Petroglyph National Monument near Albuquerque NM.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've begun the slow process of rebuilding this thread without using Photobucket to host my images. Probably not all of it will be rebuilt, but I intend to rebuild useful posts, like my mods, and interesting posts, like trip reports. Posts back thru p 61 are finished.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We were at the petroglyphs national monument just a few weeks ago, definitely a must see for us (we are trying to visit all the National parks we can find). We are at Glacier National park this week, (been on the road since late April).
I really like your drone pics.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FE, sounds like you are having a great summer! I hope you have visited or will visit Yellowstone. Yellowstone is my favorite national park. Personally, I will be visiting Badlands National Park in South Dakota and Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota this summer. After that, I plan to catch the total solar eclipse from some place in Wyoming.

Good luck on your trip!!!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
Yea we were there a week and a half, could have stayed longer, (the place is huge and I swear I don't think we experienced half of it). While there we also visited the Tetons and a couple other areas close by. We will be leaving Glacier in a few days and plan to spend a week at Estes park (we have been there before and like the area). We talked about stopping in the badlands and seeing mt rushmore, but decided estes park and the southern route back (we want to stop by Branson (never been there), then go thru the Florida panhandle ( Pensacola area) on the way back. We have to stop by Atlanta to pick up my TI which we put in storage a couple months ago. We stored the TI mostly because we only have a 1/2 ton Sierra Denali pickup and we are hauling At near max gwvr, (truck, trailer, and passengers) thru all kinds of mountain grades, and the extra 300+ lbs of the boat and rigging on the roof would have likely caused trouble, probably wouldn't have helped our fuel economy either. I did all kinds of mods to the engine and cooling systems on the truck, we made it ok but I'm counting my lucky stars that we left the boat out of the mountains. Also because of the crazy zebra snail problem out west.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Bob! Keith!

yOU gents are definitely spiking the fun-o-meter this summer...hope that you both have your senior park passes (said the insanely cheap curmudgeon..)

I've been looking at that drone of yours, Keith. WOW. Photos are fantastic and the very small footprint looks like it's easy as pie (why is pie easy?) to carry and launch. I may have to get one before heading down east in a few weeks. Did you find any discounts available?

"Summer's here and the time is right for dancing in the streets...."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No discounts. About $990. I got the package for about $1300...very worth it. If you are doing the Maine Island Trail, there will often be no place to recharge batteries. The package includes 2 extra batteries.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 80  Next