Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New: Photobucket has apparently changed it's policy again and is allowing hosting of pictures. Accordingly all my pictures are now available on this thread. Hopefully, Photobucket will continue this policy.

Because PhotoBucket is no longer allowing my pictures to be posted here unless I pay $400/year, for the time being, many of my pictures are not available. My apologies! Starting on page 55 and forward, my pictures are hosted by Cloudinary, https://cloudinary.com and are visible. This post has been deleted.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 am, edited 17 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting those pics Keith! Love it.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2017 Everglades Challenge Follow-up--MrMako's Boat

MrMako’s boat was one of the most interesting in the EC last year, and it was back on the start line again this year, essentially unmodified.
Here it is loaded (these pictures are from the 2016 EC start.)

Now lets unpack it. He has 2 specialized hakas, if we can call them that. This one holds his drive, when not in use, and maybe a dry bag on the wider part.

And, there is another over the front cockpit for gear.

The cockpit haka serves to provide 2 levels for gear. It has an opening into the lower part of the cockpit, where MrMako (Dana Vihlen) can store additional gear.

You might wonder, “Why doesn’t he use his front hatch?” Of course, he does. First you can see that he has re-enforced his hatch cover so he can tighten it down more firmly. Also, it is now a good place for his night navigation light.

Inside he keeps his cart including wheels.

In order to get his cart posts to fit, he had to cut one in half.

Underneath his wheels, he has his extra Mirage drive.

I think it is one of the best thought-out Tandems, and AI 2, in the whole EC. Last year, 2016, most Islands quit because of the unfavorable weather. This year, MrMako took his time and finished. Well done!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sun May 27, 2018 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you think after a hardcore summer of sailing in many conditions (I live right by the Atlantic ocean), I can try the EC 2018? This is my first year sailing my TI. I would like to try the EC before the Army sends me to Korea for two years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your military training and youth probably prepares you well for the physical aspect of the EC. The mental aspect is another matter. You have to do on the order of 40-50 miles/day. That means getting on the water about 5-6 AM and off about 6-9 pm for a 5-7 day stretch. You can take a beating in the ocean conditions. The wind can be anywhere from 0 to 30 mph. It can be on your nose or any other direction. If there is no wind, you pedal all day long, then get up the next day and do it again. It can be hot or cool. This year was relatively cool. Last year only 3, maybe 4 Islands finished out of about 20. Some treat the EC as a race, others as their personal challenge--just finish. It is an expensive endeavor by the time you get all the safety gear (SPOT, Epirb, VHF radio, cell phone), clothing (dry suit or 2-piece paddle outfit, clothes for dry land), entry fee ($445 this year,) food. If the event is cancelled, as it was a couple years ago because of weather, you get none of your entry fee back.

It is truly a challenge. You will know you have done something unique, even if you don't finish. Everyone loves the comradely aspect. Many come back year after year.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WaterTribe 2017 Everglades Challenge Update on Bones...In Bones Own Words

Bones has long since arrived at his home in Tennessee. He has written an excellent description of his EC2017, including an incredible description of hallucinations in the 24 hrs before his rescue. His story is here: http://captbones.com/

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, an amazing read! 8) Thanks for the link Keith.
So good to be able to get some insight into what can happen with extreme adventuring. The end result could have been so different.
I was reminded of Andrew McAulay's tragic end so close to his destination in his attempt to cross from AU to NZ in a sea kayak.
Like Bones he was hallucinating. Sadly he had no rescuers arrive in time. :cry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McAuley
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/905327 ... w-mcauley/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure whether this dangoltalkinbout hatch modification has been covered in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Serge Testa: “500 Days—Around the World on a 12-Foot yacht”

Serge, an Australian, built this 12-foot yacht and sailed it around the world, setting a Guinness Book of Records record which still stands. The boat was actually 11’ 10” long and about 5’ wide—yes, that is small to be called a “yacht.” Serge took 3 years to perform this feat, and he spent about 500 days on his yacht. He wrote an engaging small book about his experiences, both on boat and on land. It is truly an amazing feat considering that he survived 4 cyclones, bumping into whales, skin rashes, numerous groundings as he approached land, and a serious ship fire.

I’m a little late to this since he performed this feat in the mid-1980s and published his book in 2009. His book is well worth a read: Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/500-Days-Around-World-Yacht/dp/1439263027/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That duct tape over the front hatch trick does actually work. We are day sailers only, we prefer to sleep in our comfy camper with AC every night or a local resort, with showers and breakfast. Most of the time we prefer nice flat water with little to no wind, (which is 75% of the time here), because we like to dive and snorkel mostly, so we use the boat to get us where we want to as quickly as possible, so we can get out of the boat and be in the water,(It's really hot here btw).
In flat water we don't have water entry into the hull problems so we do nothing special normally. However when the wind kicks up and we are in rough seas, basically the boat leaks like a siv and fills with water, (I assume because the boat flexes so much).
When we plan to go offshore in high winds and heavy seas it's always intended (we don't do it very often because our boat is exhausting to operate at anything over 10mph cruise speed, (simply not fun)). So we always keep a roll of 3m duct tape in the dry box (3m duct tape is the only one we have found that works, yea it's double the price). Before launching I tape over the front hatch and the rearmost hatch. I sometimes also tape over all the scupper holes as well since at any speed over ten mph the water flows in thru them instead of draining (they become drinking fountains and fill the rear half of the boat with water up to the gunwales). Same with the rear mirage slot with just the standard plug installed, more water squirts in than can drain out at higher speeds). I made a contoured plug out of silicone with just a couple small holes for draining, seems to work better.
The tape trick works, yea I still get some water entry, but nothing like I would if I didn't tape everything up.

I wish Hobie made and sold a shower cap for the front hatch, yea we can make em ourselves, but why should we have to, the front hatch on all these boats leak like a siv, and a $15 dollar vinyl shower cap would fix the design problem (yea the front hatch design is a huge design booboo, and should have been addressed a long time ago, IMO).
FE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My AI is modified with a hatch cover (using a yoga mat) that completely covers the outside of the front hatch. This picture is from the last everglades trip we took to Pavillion this month. My boat was heavily loaded (even had firewood) with all my gear. Coming out in heavy seas my boat took on zero water which is big considering in the past I was consistently taking on copious amounts of water. A front hatch cover absolutely works.

This isn't a very good picture of the cover which is buried under my spinnaker bag. When I'm sailing, it's flat on the boat and firmly in place so water just washes over the cover almost never getting into the hatch "valley" which is where water drizzles into the front hatch as the hull flexes.

It was a windy weekend as you can see from all the sand that blew into the seating area of my boat during the night. Another fantastic trip with Hobie islands and a great group of about 15 people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, Jim. Interesting idea to completely cover the hatch cover with a sponge mat. How much does it extend beyond the moat around the hatch opening? I never saw you get into that front hatch so I missed your mod.

As far as sealing the hatch cover with duct tape--doesn't really work with people like us who camp. We need to get in there regularly.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Great pictures, Jim. Interesting idea to completely cover the hatch cover with a sponge mat. How much does it extend beyond the moat around the hatch opening? I never saw you get into that front hatch so I missed your mod.
The mat is mounted approximately 3" forward of the "moat" and about 2" on the sides and back. In this rare case I decided it was such an important mod that I actually drilled 2 holes forward of the hatch and installed two stainless bolts and washers to hold the mat snugly against the hull.

Last year when I sailed out of Flamingo to meet up with you guys coming from Chokoloskee, the headwinds were so strong I ended up camping solo on mid cape. When I finally beached my boat it was quite full of water. If I didn't have a pump with me that day, I would have been in a bad situation. That's why I felt the leaky front hatch needed to be addressed. It's not pretty but functional.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, just filling space

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, just filling space again...

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 80  Next