Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 80  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Dan...WHEN am I ever going to get these photos posted right!!! when I caught it I thought it was a trevally but I believe its a Queenfish, my friend and fishing guru Stefan said if it had been a Trevally chances are it would have taken my 20lb line right to the end of the reel or down to the rocks where it would have bust free so maybe i am licky it wasnt!!!!

Post subject: AI leakage
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I gave my Adventure Island a mild leak test this past weekend when we did an impromptu 4-day camping trip out of Chokoloskee to Pavilion (9-mi) in Everglades National Park (2 AIs, 3 sea kayaks). My boat was loaded w/ the usual 300-plus pounds of gear & me. Going out, winds were light—Bill Waller and I pedaled all the way. There was no leakage into my hull.

The return trip had stronger winds, but, not more than 15 mph until the very end when we were in the more protected waters of Chokoloskee Bay. Bottom line, my boat leaked very little—not more than a cup. Despite the mild conditions, I've concluded that, in my boat, (1) the previous leakage has been through the “twist-n-sealâ€

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, this post has been damaged during the recent Hobie Forum change.

On April 4-6, Alex Oancea, Bill Waller, and I did a trip out of Everglades City to Tiger Key, Everglades National Park. The Google image shows Alex’s sea kayak route (red) to and from Tiger. With his excellent navigation skills, he took a complex route. This route is never used by stink boaters; it is only used by a few knowledgeable kayakers/canoeists. Bill and I on our Adventure Islands were confined to using Indian Key Pass—a much simpler route, which can still confuse the inexperienced. If you go to Tiger Key, be sure you know where you are at all times, meaning keep your charts and compass in front of you AND pay attention.

Bill and I (Alex, too) did encounter a problem which I have never before experienced. We left Everglades City ½ hr before high tide. The tide should have already been falling outside the passes in the Gulf, although the southerly winds could delay that tide change. Normally, if this had been a pure kayak trip, I would have left 3 hrs later, but I thought the tides and tidal current through the pass would not be a problem. Wrong! Once we crossed Chokoloskee Bay and entered Indian Key Pass, we had heavy incoming current—heavy! In addition, although the wind was from the SSE and favorable, in the Pass it was incoming off the Gulf. So, we had to buck the wind and tidal current. The current was running 3-4 mph against us. Sometimes on a tack, the current caused us to lose ground. I made it to the outside (the Gulf) first. Just off Indian Key, I found myself in strong 20 mph winds and 4-foot steep waves (chop). Frankly, I did not like it. These waves were above my head and sliding the AI all over. I took shelter behind the Stop Keys while I waited for Bill. We sailed in front of Picnic Key, and then down the channel between Picnic and Tiger to the North end of Tiger—the spit, which is the nicest camping spot.

On our return, we sailed into Gaskin Bay, tacked up to Indian Key Pass, and then had easy sailing back to Everglades City. This is about an 8-mi one-way trip, so it would classify as a beginner trip for kayakers and AI persons.

Bill and I arrived at Tiger Key about mid-way through the falling tide. Notice that both AIs are now carrying coolers. No problem cooling all the fish we are going to catch.

Near high tide on April 5. In September-October, tides run 6-9â€

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

WOW! I thoroughly enjoyed the story and pictures of the Expeditions you all have made in your AI's. Do continue to post if you do more. It is a great help to those watching the forum while waiting to acquire our own AI. (must sell some stuff to finance the purchase.) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad you enjoyed the stories, ElementAI. It is nice to hear from someone occasionally.

We are doing a trip to Cape Romano on Nov 11-14. It is briefly outlined on our related forum:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8187&start=30

After you get your AI and when the winter gets too long up there, plan on coming down and joining us for sailing, fishing, and relaxation.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

great trip report...btw what type of tent is that in the 4th pic...one with grey fly

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
...btw what type of tent is that in the 4th pic...one with grey fly

Astro, That tent is the Henry Shires Tarptent, Squall II Model. It's the one I chose for my Appalachian Trail journey in 2006/2007.

Check out their full line at tarptent.com :wink:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Polecat wrote:
Quote:
...btw what type of tent is that in the 4th pic...one with grey fly

Astro, That tent is the Henry Shires Tarptent, Squall II Model. It's the one I chose for my Appalachian Trail journey in 2006/2007.

Check out their full line at tarptent.com :wink:

cheers...i will

btw AI got here today....and of course the wind promptly left...oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Astro--Good to hear you have your AI. Where are you located?

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
Astro--Good to hear you have your AI. Where are you located?

Keith

hi keith i live down under, lat 21S

i have the great barrier reef and whitsunday islands, all 74 of them to explore.

really looking forward to posting trip reports and will eventually get set up for camping trips

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On Nov 11-14, my wife Nancy, Lou Greenwell, Rick Bartoli, Janet Lineback, Frank Baron, and Ken Robinson departed Goodland for Cape Romano, FL. The weather was pleasant with winds 15-20 mph out of the north. I was the only sailor. Two other AI persons had planned to join us but were forced to cancel.

The kayakers made their way through the island passes, skirted the SE facing shore of Helen Key, dropped into Morgan River, and finally crossed Morgan Bay to reach our little beach. I sailed down Coon Key Pass, past Coon Key, then, once in Gullivan Bay, I made my way around the Cape Romano tip to our camp. We camp about ¾ mi NW of the tip. This beach is ideal because it is accessible from both Morgan Bay and the Gulf. The Google image below shows our routes. In this remote area, it is always surprising to occasionally notice a few large buildings on Marco Island. This year there was a sign on the SE shore of Cape Romano advertizing “Lots for Sale.â€

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AI CAMPING LISTS

A number of people have indicated an interest in my gear lists, so I am putting them here.

Camping lists are highly personalized. I come from a sea kayaking background. A sea kayaker can carry about 1½ times as much as a back packer. That extra gear may be in the form of a chair and even a table. As you get older, you really appreciate those extra things—in fact, they become necessities. The AI has still more room—probably 25-30% more than a sea kayak. I carry a full-sized cooler, and a table and chair. One disadvantage of the AI is that it is difficult to eliminate leaks. Therefore, essentially everything in the hull must be protected from water damage, especially if you are in salt water.

My gear list. Clothing is highly variable depending on the weather. Even if I do not take everything on the list, each item is there to remind me.

Here in S FL, water is crucial. The rule of thumb is 1 gal/day/person. The longer the trip, the more that rule must be followed. On short trips of 2-3 days, one might get by with 3/4 gal/day/person. The reason is that often the first and last days of a trip are partial travel days, and not the actual trip. On the other hand, if you find you do have extra water, it can be used for cleaning fish, or you simply don't have to skimp as much. My water list is a spreadsheet. Once it is set up, all I have to do is put in the oz and unit quantities, and it converts them to gal and adds them up.

For food, I have a three step process. The first is my meal list which can be made up after dinner one evening. Often I plan to have fresh-caught fish for several dinners and even for lunch. Because I carry a cooler, I can be generous with things like beer and salad makings. Of course, there is the occasion when I do not catch desirable fish. I have simple alternative meals available. A bag of tuna works as a substitute for fresh fish. Last year I became a "jet boil" aficionado and tried to do a lot of simple meals in that cooking system. Here is a typical meal list.

Next, I convert my meal list to an item list, which can be used to pick things up from the grocery store.

Finally, I take the item list and make a “Refrigerator” and “Freezer” list. All gear and cupboard items can be packed the night before. But the stuff in the refrig and freezer must be packed quickly on the morning you leave on your trip. It is very easy to forget an item in the recesses of the refrig/freezer.

A final bit of advice on lists: You have probably worked hard making up your lists, use them. Check off each item when it is packed and ready to go. If you do that, lists work.

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanksgiving Weekend on East Cape Sable, 2008

Thanksgiving weekend is the kickoff for the camping season in Everglades National Park. Six kayakers and I (in my AI) left Flamingo about 10 am, Friday, Nov 28. We were headed for East Cape Sable; we knew it would not be crowded. Middle Cape Sable is a traditional fishing-guide-gathering on Thanksgiving weekend. According to the rangers, there were about 30 people there. We know there were 9 powerboats, because they all left in unison after dark on Saturday—very strange. We suspect they heard there was going to be bad weather Sunday. According to the rangers, 2 fishing boats were lost the week before at Middle Cape due to heavy winds. The winds washed the insufficiently anchored boats onto the beach, and waves then filled them with sand. The weight of the sand literally exploded their hulls. Apparently, the Middle Cape folks did not want that to happen again. That was ok, since there were no more bright campfires and lights on MC. For that matter, we were the only ones around on Sunday. There were some other campers not too far from us when we arrived at ECS on Fri, including a couple who we have met several times over the years. But, they were all gone by Sunday. Frankly, I didn't mind. ECS is like the end of the earth when you are there by yourself--that is the way it should be.

I straight-lined it to ECS after I reached the main channel south of Flamingo. Several kayakers got stuck on the mud flats before realizing they had to head out via the channel. After Curry Key, some chose to stay close to the shoreline which made their trip a bit longer.

Google Earth image of the SW corner of mainland Florida

The Flamingo marina exit to Florida Bay.

Serious mud flats immediately in front of Flamingo (dark areas in the Google image above). A variety of birds inhabit these flats at low tide. This group appears to be mostly blue herons.

A flock of ibis (Curlews, Chokoloskee Chicken) captured in this shot by Lou Greenwell when he passed by the same spot 20 minutes before me.

Ibis
Image (Copyright Ginger Allen)

Some white pelicans were to the west. White pelicans are migratory and recently arrived in the area to spend the winter. They are large birds with a wingspan of 9' and weighing about 22#.

A pod of about 12 dolphins passed in front of me.

Kayaker lunch break. Lou took this picture when the kayakers took a lunch break at the far tip of East Clubhouse Beach. The winds were light, and I was only averaging about 2.5 mph on a downwind reach. I came abreast of the kayakers during their break here. That is Erika hanging out amongst the trees.

Arriving at East Cape Sable Despite the kayakers taking a break and doing at least as many miles as I did, they still reached ECS before me. Middle Cape can be seen on the horizon at far left.

My wife, Nancy, is directing me in.

Unpacking and setting up camp.

Time to relax.

Erika Fitzsimmons enjoying an ECS sunset. Middle Cape is 4 mi distant on the horizon.

Semipalmated Plovers —thanks to my birder friend, Roxanne Featherly, for that ID.

Sunset, Friday, Nov 28

Hey, is this the French Riviera? The wind was predicted to be 10 mph today (Saturday), but did not materialize. The tide in front of our camp would be significantly higher during the night.

With the nice weather not expected to hold through tomorrow, the kayakers went on a sight-seeing trip to the real backcountry of the Everglades. This is the image and route I suggested for them. It can get extremely shallow in these areas, so you must be there on a rising tide. As mentioned earlier on this thread, you do not want to want the water to drain out from under your boat. You can see for yourself at: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7276&start=45 Scroll down until you see our previous trip to ECS last March, then look for the pictures of the mud flats.

Google Earth image of the ECS Loop.

Nancy Eichert rescues a young red-shouldered hawk. This land bird was found floating in the saltwater during the backcountry loop trip. As it tried to climb on Nancy’s kayak, she helped it with her paddle.

The raptor’s wing seemed to be damaged, but once on land, it managed to fly away after it rested a bit.

Sick vulture. Finding a land bird floating in saltwater was a first for us. So, it was a bit of a surprise that I found a vulture floating 100 ft in front of our campsite. The hapless bird looked very ill, and I made no effort to rescue it.

Sunday weather was predicted to be nasty, and the forecast proved correct. During the night, the tide came within a few inches of flooding us.

Tide sticks and sandy feet. At 1 am Sunday morning Beverly Richardson, visiting from Alaska, was not nearly so relaxed about the rising tide as the locals—specifically, Lou and myself. The winds were whipping the waves higher and higher on the beach. She put in a stick so she could measure the water’s advance during the night. This morning it was raining lightly. Lou is in his tent, but exposing his feet so they can be washed off-- clever man.

Brian Singer and Beverly discuss the weather. Or, perhaps Beverly was telling Brian her interesting story. She arrived from Alaska a few days before this trip to visit her Mother. Running an errand to the drug store, she sees a guy and says, “You look just like Frank Murkowski.” (Sarah Palin had defeated Frank Murkowski for the AK governorship.) He responded, “I am Frank Murkowski.” Hey, is it a small world? Ex-governor Murkowski was in S FL visiting his daughter.

Ruddy Turnstones on the left, Sanderlings on the right. Thanks again to Roxanne for the ID.

ECS weather vanes. (Royal Terns per Roxanne.)

A lone sentry stands guard against the advancing waves Sunday morning.

In late March, this is the mating beach for endangered American Crocodiles.

With the strong onshore winds, we were forced to take shelter behind the first row of mangroves. Normally we never venture back here because of mosquitoes and noseeums. Here the wind was still sufficiently strong that we were not bothered by the bugs. From the left: Lou, Beverly, Erika, Brian, Nancy, the author (Nancy Eichert is elsewhere.) BTW, this trip was a rare one in which the women (4) outnumbered the men (3).

Today, Sunday, we are sheltered behind the mangroves, but at another time this driftwood was piled high by strong waves (opposite direction of today’s waves.) I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be out here at such times—not fun, I’m sure.

The view from our sheltered area onto the beach.

A creature found in our sheltered area (a raccoon?).

Day 4, Monday morning Brian makes preparations to leave ECS

More preparations. Noseeums were not bad, but Lou has his head net on as he loads the front of his boat. Nancy rises from packing her boat. My Adventure is just behind Nancy and in the early stages of preparation.

Lou, the last kayaker, departs. The AI is ready to launch.

Back at the Flamingo Marina, Beverly and Nancy enjoy the moment. I had a nice beam reach on the return with winds about 15 mph. I made the trip in a little over 2 hours, averaging about 5.4 mph. The kayakers began arriving about an hour later.

Trip summary: Delightful! Good friends, good food and drink. Stormy weather Saturday night and Sunday, but otherwise very pleasant. Bad weather at ECS always means a walk on the desolate, but beautiful half-moon bay. Fishing was not good, again! I can’t blame the weather Saturday; it was perfect. There were tarpon around in the mornings. Next year, I promise to get out before daybreak for some serious tarpon action.
AI Water leakage: With only light wave action, I was pleased to get very little water in my boat, either coming or going. I was also careful to clean my “twist-n-seal” covers before launch. I am convinced this is where the majority of water gets into my boat. My front hatch seal has broken down after only one year. That is a bit disappointing, but it can be fixed better than new.

Keith

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks for a great trip report. Felt likeI was there.

aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, thanks, Dan. A word of encouragement always keeps me going.

Keith

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 80  Next