Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
I've posted this elsewhere, but putting it here also. My Trailex trailer + cradles setup. My 2014 tandem (purchased new 2015) has been on this trailer since its purchase.

When I pull the boat up on the trailer, I pull it forward to the hitch.

Keith

With that much weight cantilevered past the rear support, you don't have sagging or buckling?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PP-none that I can see. A friend of mine said he had stored his TI similarly w/o problem, which is why I tried it. I don't use the boat from July to November. I may put some stern support under it this year during that time.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alligator kills woman in SFL

The woman was walking her dogs near this fresh water lake just outside of Miami. Dogs are like a magnet to gators. Nobody saw what happened, but you can guess something like, dogs go down to the water for a drink. Woman goes with them. Gater lurking in the water attacks the dogs, which escape (one was injured), but the woman does not. It is very rare for an alligator to kill a human in FL. But, it happens. Personally, I've always been leery around fresh water in FL. After dark, it is an absolute NO, NO. Or, borderline suicidal.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd like to share with you the videoclip about my one week expedition in Sardinia 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5R7klQcaPE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, nice video, Sardinian Islander! Now I want to sail in one more spot. Beautiful water.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
PP-none that I can see. A friend of mine said he had stored his TI similarly w/o problem, which is why I tried it. I don't use the boat from July to November. I may put some stern support under it this year during that time.

Keith

I too store my TI on the exact same trailer (sans the winch) most of the time. I do pull it as far forward as possible to try to evenly distribute the weight when not actually on the road. I have had no visible issues with sagging (at least with the boat, that is).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surgery on my right hand ended my sailing in SFL this spring. Now, I'm back in northern New Mexico at 7000'. There are sail boats around here, but sailing is limited. So, I'm back to doing my drone thing. The other morning I went down to the Rio Grande south of Pilar, NM. Here are some of my Mavic Pro's pictures. This is not the spectacular 800' deep gorge 8 miles north on the Rio Grande, but it is a fairly tight canyon through which the the Rio Grande runs.

Sunrise over the Rio Grande

The view south

The view across the canyon to the west

Millions of years ago this area was covered with active volcanoes. So, the landscape has lots of basalt boulders. Here are a couple of abandoned homesteads.

This closer view seems to show some terracing.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New Drone

Yeah, I have a new drone: a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. It takes good pictures. This is one from 300 ft above my house towards Taos, NM.

My new drone on the rim of the Rio Grande Gorge.

I’ve already had a couple interesting experiences with this new drone. First, I had trouble flying the P4P off the gorge rim from where it is sitting above. Apparently there are serious magnetic fields in the area, which did not bother my Mavic Pro, but are messing up the compass on my P4P. When I was able to get it in the air, it flew erratically, and I landed it quickly. It flies fine near my home in Taos.

Second, my neighbor was having a roof job done, while they were on a trip. So, I flew my new P4P up to their house and got a few pictures, but before I could get my P4P back, a fast moving storm caught it in the open with torrential rain. I could no longer get a FPV (first person view through the camera lens), so I flew the drone erratically in strong winds and heavy rain. I decided to try to land it about 100’ away where it disappeared behind some sage brush. I thought it did land, but when I ran to pick it up, it was hovering about 2’ off the ground in the heavy rain. I grabbed a leg and hauled it back to my house, as it fought me all the way because it wanted to be where it had been hovering. Once back to the house, I shut it down, dried it off, and let it dry for 24 hrs before testing. I’m happy to say that it flew fine and seemed no worse for the experience.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those shots look great, Keith.

I installed Litchi and was able to use it with my Mavic Pro on a recent trip out in the northern wilds. Used its GPS co-ordinate features to fly to the back of our place and I'm very impressed with it. It seems to have great control features (such as returning to home if it loses signal) and it completed its programmed missions in a wide range of challenging tests.

Looking forward to seeing you in the coming camping season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

Yes, I love the pictures my new Phantom 4 Pro gets. Here are a couple I got when I did get the P4P airborne over the gorge.

View down the shear cliff immediately after takeoff. The Rio Grande can be seen along the right edge.

The view down the gorge. There is a trail down there. Can you see the 2 benches just to the right of center?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sardinian Islander wrote:
I'd like to share with you the video clip about my one week expedition in Sardinia 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5R7klQcaPE

SI...wonderful video. great scenery!! Thank you!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of the animals out here

These are not all of the animals I see out here. Just some.

Lamas (drone shot)

Big horned sheep on the road

Big horned sheep in the Gorge near benches. This is a female with ewe. (drone shot)

If you go into the mountains, especially an area called Valle Vidal wilderness, you can expect to see bears.

There are others, like a herd of goats, a couple donkeys, and coyotes, but no pictures at this time.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mesa Verde National Park

Made a camping trip to Mesa Verde. Hard to think of this semi-arid location as being a lovely place, but that is just what it is...especially this time of the year. Beautiful Fall colors, but more on that later. The animals in Mesa Verde have never been hunted as long as they do not stray outside of the Park boundaries. My wife, Nancy, and I came upon a coyote who couldn't care less about our presence. He has a heavy Fall fur coat. Here are a few pictures.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi!
New to this forum and waiting for my new TI 2018 to arrive from the dealership. Been reading of all your great adventures and can´t wait to start my own ones.

My 12 year old son and myself are planning to do a "expedition" in June 2019. We are going to make a trip from the south (Falsterbo) to the most north part of the swedish westcoast (Svinesund). We have alot of sailing and ocean kayaking experience but this incredible TI is a new thing for us!

The expedition is named "Expedition Västkust" and my son (due to his computer interest) has been making a site, youtube-channel and a facebook-blogg so those who are intrested can follow our preparations and trip. For now its mostly in swedish but maybe you guys can find some intreset in it anyway ...

https://sites.google.com/view/expeditionvastkust/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmUhPFbaFkRxAKususPpgNQ
https://www.facebook.com/Expedition-V%C3%A4stkust-722487458091446/

// Kalle. Gothenburg, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Keith. I have never seen a coyote in person. Looks beautiful. I am told that they can be a threat in a pack. Did you ever have a sense that it might attack?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next