Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The line I use and recommend for the Sprayskirt (or shield) is thin 50# working load, and is normally attached to the aka with a short piece of bungee cord and Velcro, and to the side of the hull with wire-ties. So at all points that could be over stressed, the Sprayskirt should break away before any damage to the boat happens. With that said, the Sprayskirt flexes enough, and lets wind and water pass strait through (but blocks water coming at an angle) so well that we've never broke one or even lost a connection point.

Every so often, I end up on an AI without a Sprayskirt, and I appreciate them even more.

Great trip, great post and pictures! I hope someday to make a trip with you.

Last comment, best way I have found, to not dive into a leading wave is to cut it at about 45 degrees, if you have the room to maneuver, and still stay safe (in the channel, away from traffic, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith/Chekika,

Excellent post! Picture is worth a 1,000 words. The new Amas may have to be a little longer and go a little further forward. If more lift is needed maybe a small shallow-v fin could be attached to the ama near the bottom of the bend. This could be an easy fix to solve the diving problem and make the AI a more sea worthy...and more marketable product.

Hope we hear back from Matt/Hobie, et.al soon.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello all. chekika and polecat your killing me guys. I really wanted to make that trip but halfway into December I found out American booted me off the 777, so I have been and currently am stuck in Dallas training on the 737. right in the middle of camping season. I have gotten the AI out for day trips mostly in Biscayne, Choko and off Dania but no camping. Your trip conditions look remarkably close to my trip last year. In fact the desciption of the downwind run brought back some memories. One thing you might try is to flatten the sail out with the downhaul and the use of barber hauls. The twist in the sail downwind, we used to call it a goose wing is inherently unstable and is hard to control. This coupled with a judicious reef should help with steering control downwind in a following sea. Even large monohulls have problems steering in these conditions if they don't have the boom vang taking the twist out of the sail.

Sure wished I could have joined you, so far all my camping has been overnights in Flamingo. I hope to get a trip after I finish training. I did pick up a new toy. a 17 ft solo canoe, the winona voyager. It will carry a ton of gear but its pretty narrow so I'm not sure our coolers will fit. Its great for going straight in windy choppy open water but I'm not to sure about narrow winding mangrove tunnels. anyway it will be my new backcountry boat. Best part is it only weighs 35 lbs.

More importantly did you answer the big question?? Are yellow boats faster than red boats?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Quirskster!

Glad to hear from you. Will be more trips coming up--shorter trips, to one place, with more time to fish, and less time spent moving camp to camp. Hope to see you soon.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Quirkster,

Yeah, we missed you. Yes, those downwind runs, especially on Days 3-4, were interesting. Bill did not mention that he previously had a barber hauler on his boat, but he removed it--too many lines, I believe. I and Nancy, when she got comfortable sailing, used the outhaul system of Kayaking Bob (Reconlon)--keeps things simple, easy to use, and does the job pretty well.

Bill and I are pretty loose. I'm thinking about going down to Lostman's again this year--probably in March--you got time for that?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great report as usual Keith! 8)
I enjoyed reading it and the interesting discussion on submarining.
I take some comfort in that, as far as I am aware, no one has reported damage from diving through waves.
I would think that a weakness would have shown up by now.
I was interested in your comparison with sea kayaks.
I would have thought the AI had a huge advantage whenever the wind came up. :?
How well do sea kayaks handle strong cross/head winds?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Stringy,

Yes, I have been thinking the AI is definitely stronger than you would expect. In my 2 years of AI-camping experience, the only thing I've broken is 1 (one) rudder pin.

I've done that 70-mile coastline 8 times in sea kayak (2 different ones) and twice now in an AI. Of course, in those 8 sea kayak trips, we've had some windy days comparible to this year's AI trip. My original sea kayak, the white one in the story picture, was a real diver in steep waves. I am dead (bad term) serious when I say the bow would completely disappear sometimes--but, it always came back. My second kayak, which I still own and use, is a Current Designs Extreme (now called "Nomad.") It has the typical upturned bow of British sea kayaks. It also has some rocker; my white boat had very little rocker. Really, my white kayak was sort of a precursor to the Epic, which in turn is modeled after a surf ski. When a boat like my white kayak or the Epic has 100 pounds of gear, supplies, and water, it is going to be a diver. Same is true of the AI hull--when loaded, it is going to plow through waves and occasionally dive under a wave. Thus, when the AI is doing about 6 mi/hr in strong following winds, and it is expedition-loaded, it is ready for diving competions.

Your typical British sea kayak can handle big waves and wind, head-on with no problem. Cross winds are not too bad. The ones I've always found the most bothersome are strong winds quartering in over your shoulder. It seems those winds generate waves which hit the back of your boat first, then roll under the front of your boat. Quite destabilizing. Tail winds are uncomfortable especially if your rudder comes out of the water. Boats without rocker, like my white boat and the Epic, tend to broach on steep waves in following seas--they are hard to keep straight down the wave. A boat w/ rocker, like the British boats turn easily and can be kept on course. But, it is all part of the game.

I do intend to press this AI hull/ama issue w/ Matt under a different thread. I don't understand why Hobie does not make a much more rockered, extreme rockered ama. That would solve the diving issue.

Thanks for your comments, Stringy.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

AlohaDan wrote:
Great trip report!

Woud love to do it.

However, your coment on rockerfor sea kayaks is somewhat controversial. Hobie is closer to Epic then traditional ocean yaks.

Take a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWXXTAnN ... L&index=42

I suspect your reaction is to the conditions. You may have needed Kayaking Bob's spray shield.

the thing is that, on the AI you are generally moving a lot faster than you would be in a paddle kayak, which means when you submarine.. you REALLY submarine. I'm sure Bobs spray shield does help, but i think hobie needs to come up with a nose wave deflector and consider refining the hull. I actually went out today with a pro sailor for his first AI in the sea, he said and i quote "that hobie was the wettest boat i have ever sailed". He loved it but found the constant submarining annoying as i do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I carried 7 gallons of water, food, and camping gear on a 5 day trip last fall. It can be done pretty easily. Take a hand held bilge pump as you may take on a bit more water than normal in rougher seas.

My $.02

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heads up! Next AI trip is Feb 18-21, 2010. Leave at 8:30 am, Feb 18, from Ranger station in Everglades City for Tiger Key (or Pavilion, or Mormon). These are always, first and foremost fishing trips. In reality, they often turn out to be great opportunities for pictures. Long-range weather forecast is for beautiful weather. On Saturday, Feb 20, we will sail over to the Paddle-in Festival on Indian Key.

If you are interested, drop me a line at kwellma AT bellsouth DOT net, or post a message here.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith. This should be the benchmark for all trip reports. Really enjoyed it and I can now really see the submarining issue your talking about. I have never had those sort of loads on board and didn't realise the extent of the problem.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What is the current water temp were you are Chekika? It is 46 F in North Carolina now. BRR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi ElementAI,

Just got in from a 4-day trip. Water temps now are probably about 65 deg, maybe higher. Nothing compared to a month ago, when they got down to the low to mid 50s. Your 46 deg F--icy!!!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How 'bout some pics? :?:

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Patience, We are pooling photographs and Keith is composing an epic saga of Tolkienian proportions which erstwhile poets will repeat by the campfire for years to come.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 80  Next