Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Keith,

FWIW I experienced a similar event but without the "Ridge Effect" in play: flew my Mavic down a long approach drive and behind some trees using only my phone screen for guidance - about 1500 feet away. No problem. Next day I got a message stating "incompatible firmware" while syncing up and went thru the process of updating. Up in the air for a few hundred feet and my phone lost contact with the MP. Regained contact and then lost it again a minute later. Regained it and hit the RTH button immediately. Safe landing (fortunately). I'm suspecting a software glitch of some sort...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Bob, that sounds pretty scary from your drone's viewpoint. I haven't had any problems like that, but have not flown much in the last week--too much company!

You haven't posted any pictures yet. You are still up in Maine?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Houses in northern New Mexico

If you have never been out in the “4-Corners” area, i.e., the corner made up of the intersection of the borders of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah, you are missing something. I’m only going to show you a few houses from around Taos, NM, which is approximately in north central NM, just 50 mi south of the Colorado border and 200 mi east of the 4-Corners area, as the crow flies.

This is an abandoned homestead, west of Taos. I have no idea when it was last occupied, probably 50-70 years ago.

This is a deteriorated rock house. My guess is it was quite cold in the winter time when temperatures get down into the Fahrenheit teens and lower. Roughly half the stones are gone, presumably used where they were needed more.

Still on the high desert plain to the northwest of Taos are a group of houses known as “Earthship” houses. These houses are self-contained, self-supporting structures—no public water or electricity. If the world destroyed all public utilities and facilities, these houses and their occupants could carry on as if nothing happened. This is one of the more elaborate Earthship houses. Others can be seen in the distance. They attempt to be self-sustaining: catch rainwater/melt snow, grow vegetables in their greenhouse portion of the house year-around, harvest wind and solar energy, passive heat/cool.

To the north of Taos are the southern Rockies. About 15 miles into those mountains is the Taos Ski Valley, an area which is home to a nationally known ski area. This is the house in the area which belongs to of a friend of mine. It is at 9600’ and a great place to spend the summer…cool.

On the road up to the ski area is an old, but still used cabin.

I took all those pictures with my Mavic Pro drone. After I took the one of this cabin, I turned the drone to take a picture of the fall colors in the area.

and

You can enjoy the winter if you like to ski, otherwise, perhaps, not so much.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a newbie to the AI and have been 'stalking' the Hobie pages for the last 2 weeks. I'm up to page 59 with the hakas and have picked up some good hints, ideas and down right necessities (thanks NOHUHU). It's a pity about so many pictures not being accessible - but they're still GREAT value. Last night I was trying to work out what Chekika was warning about with the ama shear pins, and his safety system (thanks, I think I've got it). Also the tethering to the AI (thanks tonystott). I'm open to adapting any other suggestions for touring and adapting them to my first crack at AI touring which will be heading down one of our Australian rivers (Murray), hopefully in the beginning of March. It will solo and not from the source (that great flexibility of the AI doesn't include white water rivers). I'm starting not far from the last of the white water and going down to the mouth which will be around 2,200 kilometers (1,360 miles). So I'll be making some hakas, trialing them, adjusting my kit and developing a sleeping system (thanks stringy) to suit the luxurious AI. Also thanks to aussieonyak, KayakingBob, chrisj and so many others, you've all crammed my head full of great stuff, and my wife glazes over with the word kayak. Not to worry, she quickly recovers with some vigor when I offer her a berth :D

Jeff
AI (2016)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard Pneuma and I hope you get as much enjoyment as we have on our Island adventures!
We are away at the moment visiting Wilson’s Promontory with the aim of getting to South Point- the most southerly tip of mainland Australia, hopefully in the next couple of days.
Reading back through all the old posts is a great way to learn, there is so much useful info buried within this forum. It’s a real shame about the pics disappearing. What transformed sailing for us was adding Haka, spinnaker and outboard, which really help with long distance adventures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks stringy. I'm pretty excited, in fact stoked about the AI ... feel a bit like a kid again ... they have so much potential and scope of use, but you guys already know about that and also the accommodation and transportation stuff. Purchasing the AI sort of overtook me and unlike Jaws, "I think we're doing to need a bigger boat", I've got the bigger boat but not the new front path entry to fit it, and hadn't counted on moving her citrus tree to get to the newly needed addition to the shed for the new secure storage. Oh, and there's the working out the new roof rack system for a pretty challenged low roof max whilst towing the camper without too many $$$. The adult had to return, but almost there and the kids ready to cut loose this weekend.

The Prom and the Islands up the coast there are a lovely part of the country and the past few days have been pretty good weather (mind you the Prom can be a weather magnet for scruffy weather). But you must be having a brilliant time and being AI/TI based it's not crowded camping. Any pictures or clips? I guess you have already been on the most eastern point, but the other two could be challenging. Haven't read much about the spinnakers as yet but have seen them on the clips. This will be one of the many further areas to explore.

I've been getting a lot of 'education' reading the posts and a bit of salavating watching the clips. Deferred gratification might be over rated! The haka post has been my mainstay and you could say I'm pining for my own haka. You've acknowledged the beauty of the simple wooden haka (well sanded of course) and while I have my name on one of those in the future, for the Murray paddle I have something else in mind. It has been touched on in the haka thread but I don't think I'll let the cat out just yet, and if/when it works out I'll have a post in the haka thread (hopefully) next week.

Jeff
AI (2016)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The Prom and the Islands up the coast there are a lovely part of the country and the past few days have been pretty good weather (mind you the Prom can be a weather magnet for scruffy weather). But you must be having a brilliant time and being AI/TI based it's not crowded camping. Any pictures or clips? I guess you have already been on the most eastern point, but the other two could be challenging.

We are having a great time Pneuma! We are not camping this time but are doing day trips from a house at Toora, so no its not crowded. So far we have explored the Northern and Southern sections and yes we made it to South Point. I thought we could take advantage of the good weather, though both trips proved challenging, as the actual conditions were worse than predicted. Changes come through much quicker than we are used to at home, but the TI coped well. We made full use of the furlable main, spinnaker, haka and outboard in the strong head, tail and cross winds, then no wind, that we experienced when in the lee of the coastline in certain places. The stability of the TI was great in the confused seas as waves bounced off the rocky coast.
Next week we move into a cabin at Tidal River for a few days and hope to do much more exploring of The Prom, weather permitting!
Our tracks so far:

Approaching South Point:

The Southernmost tip of the mainland:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures, Stringy. Keep them coming!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
Great pictures, Stringy. Keep them coming!

Keith

+1

Magical place there! Looks like a heavy jacket being worn under the PFD. How are the currents?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith and Bob. It is a very impressive and scenic part of Australia and our first visit here. Unfortunately the weather has not been kind for our actual stay at ‘The Prom’. I had hoped to get out today but at 8:30am 53 knot gusts were recorded, which did drop to 41 knots at 12:00pm and were down to 22 knots at 4:00pm ...so went walking instead.

The view from Mount Oberon shows what a great area it is:

Differing land forms:

The currents can be strong Bob but the Outboard negates them. The water temp is 20C and we were just wearing shirts under our PFD’s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beautiful pictures, Stringy. Thanks!

Yes, that kind of wind is definitely walking weather!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice photos Stringy. It looks a very pleasant time and I’m beginning to understand the penchant towards motoring. When I’d camp and fish from Waratah Bay I’d often watch the Prom cop more than its share of the local dirty weather, but is a lovely spot and hard to beat on a good day. Toora is a great base and you’ve got Foster around the corner providing some tasty morsels. If you haven’t checked out the information boards in the town they’re quite interesting (well to me anyway). Are you doing any fishing? Also cabins at Tidal river ... nice :)

Jeff
AI (2016)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m not much of a fisherman Pneuma, prefer just touring.
We actually stayed in the new units at Tidal River. They were amazing! You can see them left of centre in this pic. (also note Skull Rock Island in the distance at the end of the ridge)

With only one full day left, after the 50 knot day, and with predictions for the strong winds to continue I thought that was it for our TI adventures.
However we woke the next day to much calmer winds and decided on one final trip.
On our South Point trip we’d noticed an island that looked different from the rest. Researching, we discovered it was called Cleft Island, also known as Skull Rock. A local tour operator includes it as a highlight on their itinerary:

It is a huge chunk of granite rising from Bass Strait and has a spectacular large cave. It was worth a closer look so we decided to make Skull Rock our destination. It’s app 14km out from Tidal River and with light winds we motored the whole way. Unfortunately in the surf launch my normal camera (an IPod in a housing) took on some water and was fogged up so we only have wide GoPro video clips. The trip was a lot rougher than the GoPro footage shows, especially closer to the island but you can get some idea from this brief clip:

For those interested in finding out more, check out this 8 minute clip from BBC’s Coast Australia series which also highlights the spectacular scenery of The Prom area
https://vimeo.com/157245381

We had an incredible stay, got four day trips in, each around 30km long:
Red- Walkerville, around Cape Liptrap to Morgan Beach 34km
Green- Toora to Corner Inlet and Entrance Point 30km
Yellow- Tidal River to South Point 28km
Blue- Tidal River to Skull Rock and Oberon Bay 34km

Sadly our time at Wilsons Promontary has ended. With so much more still to see we’ll be back.

Last edited by stringy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Fantastic pictures Stringy. Amazing! I wonder what the thinking is for formation of Skull Rock?

Thanks for posting!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow- what a place, James Bond villains hideout if I ever saw one.

Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 80  Next