Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:17 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Out the first time fishing.

I want to reduce the clutter of lines. I have a lot of securing lines for my rods (and mayself-a surf leash).

I want to clean up a bit. with the furling line comletely wrapped not much there.

But the mainsheet? I've tried stufing it in the pocket, but it just fills it up so it's almost unusable. Also have the down rudder line handle stuffed inside the net.

Not to mention chasing wind and changing dirctions I'm adjusting the sheet a lot so it really can't stay in the pocket long.

How do you guys keep a clean sheet? (No pun intended :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dan,
I tie a permanent small loop in the end of the sheet line (Black) then tie the reefing line to it when getting ready to sail. This makes it easy to reach the reefing line from the seat and cuts down on the number of lines. I keep the sheet line on my right, crossing my thigh, with rest of the line between my knees, on the hatch lid.

(Warning, wordy description follows! :) )
Also, when packing up the hull for travel, I hook the "S" hook of the Bullet Block (part hooked to the sail, when sailing) to the upper plastic Eye (just past the right hand "pocket") then route the end of the sheet line to one of the rear tie-down bungees. It should have just enough line left to hook it over the Eyelet Post by the seat (that the Dagger Board bungee hooks over when sailing). This keeps the sheet line tight and out of the way.

I hope this helps.

Welcome to AI sailing!!!

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My first time out fishing and i hooked a small barracuda.....OH-TOTAL PANIC. I am not a fisherman and had no IDEA how to bring it aboard 3 kilos of pure muscle flayling behind the back of my boat..well, I got it on board with the help of a gaff, did what i had been told and really WHACKED it in there!! Those teeth, didnt DARE try to get the hook out there and then. First i thought I had hooked a rock so I furled the sail. Once i had my fish in the rear recess behind the cockpit, I yanked on the mainsheet which caught the hook and pulled it free of the barracudas snapping jaws! Now i had the hook flapping around in the mainsheet which i tore up pretty good trying to get the barbs out then the hook dropped into the webbing straps of my hobbie wheels that i also stow in the recess...WHAT A MESS I made of it!!!!! i am sure with time things will get easier!

Looks like we might need the grand master of leviathan catches boogie-d to come on board with a few tips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Huuh, AlohaDan, I don't think "tidy" and "fishing" are allowed in the same sentence. Bad grammer.

Hey, Philip1el, that is a good story. I don't know who's rule it is, but it always holds: "When fishing, what can go wrong, will go wrong." You proved it once again.

For those of you who want to fish, but don't like holding onto fish, Bass Pro sells a fish gripper pliers:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=gripper&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO
Amazon also lists a somewhat stronger, larger gripper.
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Fishing-Gripper-Floating-Lever-Operated/dp/B000EYYM2E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1197552755&sr=8-1
They definitely come in handy for dangerous or extra slimy fish. Of course, they are not for sharks--cut those off. Living in S FL and fishing the Everglades, I want to warn those of you new to ocean fishing, you have to be very careful with sharks (& baracudas). Hooked sharks may snap at your hands if you try to retrieve your lure from their mouths--be careful. Unless they are small (5-10#), it is best to cut them off. Occasionally, baracudas (and sharks) will attack their tormentor by jumping out of the water and latching onto whatever they can. Be careful.

Keith

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Philip, it's always like this, we just don't tell these things to people who don't understand this way of life: tangled lines, broken and lost gear, lost lures and explaining to the wife why it makes sense to pay $13 to overnight a $2 part. Welcome to the sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:18 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
baysailor wrote:
explaining to the wife why it makes sense to pay $13 to overnight a $2 part. Welcome to the sport.

We tell customers in the situation to tell the wife the part just cost $15, goes over much better!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: cluter reduction.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:40 am 
Hobie Team Member

as far as line cluter goes i have a little something on that. I attach a small bicycle seat bag to the aka cross bars just underneath the mast collor. its a small out of the way pouch that can be got at any good bicycle shop. they attach just like a seat post to the aka brace. my bag is used to hold cruitial tools and parts, pins, etc for the boat. on the top of the bag is a small nylon mesh pouch this is where i stow my furling line. i will wrap it up all nice and stuff it in the mesh pouch until i am ready to hoist the sail. this helps when i get into the water and am putting peddals, in putting the dager board in, and tightnening down rudder locking screw. this helps keep the lines out of the way. I will stow the mainsheet line in hobie mesh storage since the sail is furled up closed there is little line in the mesh. by stowing furl line in bicycle seat bag and main line in provided hobie mesh storage will keep my decks clear of lines while i am putting in and out of the water. once I am under way i will tie the furl line to the main sheet line and hold them in my right hands like the reings of a horse. when i get tired of holding the lines i will somtimes let them ride in the water that keeps them out of the way. or just lay it nicely in the hull maybe hung over the peddals for fast access. hope this helps. cant wait to see all the fish you are going to catch. up here on the northshore its been to windy and rough. big waves big wind. so just waiting out the storms. maybe next week i can fish. aloha Boogie-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Bike shop on my list to visit tomorrow!