Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrying water supply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wife and I are planning to venture into the everglades in a month or so and I'm still scratching my head on water transport. I've found lots of ideas for carrying a water supply for multi-day camping trips, but they seem to be from the prospective point of view as opposed to a post-trip debrief. I'd be grateful for help on the subject; what seems to have worked well? What issues or failures have campers experienced?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dromedary bags--tough as nails, malleable to fit many places. Multiple sizes--10 L is fine + a couple smaller ones to fit smaller places. In the Everglades, it is recommended 1 gal/day/person. You can get by with a bit less, say 3/4 gal/day, but that is risky because you may accidentally leave a bag open and lose a gal or 2. One absolutely beautiful thing about Dromedary bags is that raccoons DO NOT bother them. Throw them one on the beach, leave one on your boat, raccoons ignore them. Leave ANY plastic bottle with liquid on your boat and watch how long it lasts with raccoons around.

I strongly recommend the original, more expensive, Dromedary bags. The cheaper Dromedary Lite bags are not nearly so tough. A Dromedary bag can last you 10 yrs or more, in an ocean environment.
Dromedary bags on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIU2TG?keywords=dromedary%20bags&qid=1449654673&ref_=sr_1_1&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

It is also good to have at least one of the Dromedary spigot caps: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Spigot-Cap/dp/B00KCQ2SJI/ref=pd_sim_468_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Jjsk0KJ2L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1A46HT5CFQ8PQ6FW19MC

Finally, a 2 or 4 L bag is useful to use around the camping dinner table because it is easier to handle. It can be refilled as needed.

Just a comment about raccoons--they used to be an absolute scourge on Everglades beaches. They were a total pest. Their numbers have greatly diminished in recent years. Could it be due to various non-indigenous snakes (Burmese pythons, etc) which people have released into the Everglades when they became dangerous to keep at home? I don't know, but it is absolutely wrong to turn a non-indigenous snake loose in the Everglades.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Keith. Perfect!

I was talking w my barber about camping yesterday and he immediately went to Pythons..I can't help but think of Frank Zappa and python boots...

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/frankzap ... kfoot.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BobAgain wrote:
Thanks, Keith. Perfect!

I was talking w my barber about camping yesterday and he immediately went to Pythons..I can't help but think of Frank Zappa and python boots...

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/frankzap ... kfoot.html

Frank Zappa amazing artist and I like his quotes. Bobby Brown brilliant song, funny and genial lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am a fresh water guy, so stupid question, but are the Everglades salt water, fresh water or both? I rely on a combination of Sawyer and Frontier Pro squeeze water filters and a couple of 3L platypus bladders. I like the sawyer the best, but the Frontier has a carbon filter that can help remove some of the taste from ranker water sources. I rarely carry water for cooking or cleaning, just what I need for drinking, as I can easily filter more. But if it is all saltwater, throw that idea out the window.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Everglades should be considered saltwater.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mm, pythons you say.. lucky we only have crocodiles (salt AND fresh water) and 8 of the world's 10 most venomous snakes...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Put a lot of PET-bottles inside the boat. Works perfectly well and costs nothing. Racoons? No such thing here! Maybe put the bottle in a non-transparent plastic bag?