Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:35 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Still wringing the AI out. What are it's limits? What are mine in it?

Decided to try for F Buoy. That's a FAD (Fish aggravation device see: http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/FADS/ )

It's 11.5 miles west of Keauhou light where I operate out of.

I figured allowing a wander factor of 2 nm, plus perhaps up an additional mile for the scope of chain offset( ~ 1 mile in radius) put me at ~25 nm+ round trip.

Rumbling of a bad trip started the night before. My GPS was kaput.

Well I had a compass. And while I did not have a "mothership" I did have a "safety boat" ; a fishing buddy that would meet me half way, then proceed to the buoy and await my arrival. Then make sure I started back safely. It was the first attempt and I was concerned about no wind, and getting sucked into a heavy current. I'm old, not bold so wanted some extra safety on this first trip.

I left almost 25 minutes late from my projected time 0600. More bad karma. However it was still first light before sunrise. I was hoping for a strong offshore wind. Figured it would flatten around 1000 and shift to onshore, hopefully at least 10 knots.

The wind was lighter than I wanted. I was going too slow. I tried to avoid pedaling to conserve energy. My buddy showed up and gave me a fix. I had only been doing 2.5-2.8 knots. We were 7 miles to go, and the wind was dropping.

Somehow I had left my VHF radio on the night before when testing and the battery was so low I could no longer transmit. My new cell phone also had problems. Communications were a big concern for both of us..

But a lot of work had gone into this.

He shoved off for the buoy to fish and check conditions. He was along in case the wind pooped out, and the current was too strong.

I followed somewhat encouraged from a few hard strikes, but no hookups.

When he returned the wind was almost useless to proceed. The buoy was now only 3 miles away. But with no wind, and maybe having to pedal all the way back I aborted. Hawaiian fishing guys would also appreciate his report of stenos (large porpoise that are excellent bait stealers) had been hanging at the buoy. Why proceed.:evil:

So I turned around. The wind hadn't shifted, but was almost non existent.

Eventually I just furled the sail and continued pedaling. About 2 miles out the wind picked up just a tad. I got some help wind wise, but not much, the last mile and half.

I figured I covered around 17+ miles, on about 75% pedal power. One of the disadvantages of the AI when the wind drops on the way home.

I had taken a lunch which I devoured early. Had the wife pack an extra three candy bars to give me a glucose kick if I needed it. I did!!

My buddy apologized later. After he left me he ran into a "floater". He was about a mile away trying my cell, radio several times, etc. They hooked up over 11 mahi hanging on the surface.

Next time I will be damn certain my communications work. I have a spare battery pack for the radio. It's going along from now on. I took the cell phone back (brand new) and got one that works.

Thought I was in shape to do this if wind died. I was, but wouldn't want to do too much more.

I think with GPS the buoy is a safe obtainable fishing target. Only have to get about half that South Point wind I described earlier. But you have to be ready in case th wind isn't correct. I had gone on basis of up to 15 knots predicted.

BTW lost my last bait on the way in.

Sign me

Pooped puppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Oops. Forgot photo

Eight miles out. Upon a painted ocean the ancient mariner......, or whatever. Unfurled for photo only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Dan -I enjoyed the report.
Would you have considered doing that trip in the Adventure?
I'm interested to know how much slower the AI is than the Adventure when becalmed ? On flat water is the drag from the ama's that noticeable?
Would you be better off by dropping the mast and just pedaling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:27 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Stringy

I would not do the 25 miler in the Adventure. Have to take 20 years off me first. :roll: I do go anywhere from 6-12 pretty regularly though without any sail. Certainly doable by younger guys :D like roadrunner. :D:D:D

While I "feel" there is some, I'm not sure how much drag the AI ama provide versus non ama rig. One of the things I meant to do before my GPS crapped out was try some measurements..

You can tell I was thinking along these lines in my post asking the question if the AI sail had ever been used with Sidekick which doesn't seem to drag at all in the high position, small sail furled or struck..

So many experiments, fish waiting, so little time, etc.

I haven't gotten around to taking the AI mast down on the water yet either. Another experiment. East coast guys have done it going under bridges I'm sure. But from this trip small swells to flat conditions, I don't think it would have made any difference.

In a large swell with no wind, an infrequent event, but sometimes happens here, one might be better off with the mast down. To do this would need some holders on the aka too I expect. Perhaps Kayaking Bob (reconlon) has experienced this phenomena and could comment.

But main reason for my post was to point out distance problems you could potentially have when wind dies out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

AlohaDan wrote:
Stringy

I would not do the 25 miler in the Adventure. Have to take 20 years off me first. :roll: I do go anywhere from 6-12 pretty regularly though without any sail. Certainly doable by younger guys :D like roadrunner. :D:D:D

Ha ha, Dan you're so funny! I was pretty darned impressed with your trip and enjoyed reading about it. I'm glad everything worked out well! Definitely a bigger adventure than I would attempt. Two or three hours in the seat is plenty for me! Guess we "younger" guys just don't have the staying power you old salts do!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:26 pm 
Hobie Team Member

good report dan. when fishing the yak attack 3 in kona the winds were very light. i ended up doing a lot of peddeling. my theroy is if there are no winds i would rather use a paddle kayak with no amas and aka this is the fastest non wind situation for me. the ai likes wind and when the wind dies it can really suck. dan i think your a little more hardcore than you admit. that was a long trip you planned to the bouy and you have to be pretty ballsy and skilled to take that on. good job man. it only gets better as you get the ai figured out. i know its just a matter of time before we read about you catching a big sail or marlin. keep up the good work Dan. Aloha Boogie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan,
Love the story. You definitely have a set of brass ones. I don't think I would have even gone out on the deep blue without a gps and vhf. I guess I am just a wimp and will be keeping to freshwater. Do keep up with the writing. I really enjoy reading the posts.

So what does Hawaii have against these fish that they feel the need to aggravate? :) I had to check the website for a good explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In addition to my AI, I also have 2 classics that I bought way back before they were called classics. No doubt the classic is way easier to pedal when there is no wind, but the AI blows away the classic in any kind of wind!

Post subject: nice Dan
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope to come out there soon and hit the water with you and Boggie D

How far do you guys live apart?

that is a awesome story, I wish I had the time and location like you have

It would be my goal to sail the AI from New York to Florida and come around the keys and head up to Texas - well if I didn't have a family, didn't have kids and didn't have to work. its ok to dream a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I lived on Oahu for 3 years and was a fish most of the time I was there. Used an inflatable (back when they werent very effecient) to get to my dive sites, great for getting through the surf with gear without wasting air.

I think you were NUTS <grin> for continuing when all your coms were shot or unreliable. Im a brave soul, but I only do a beach launch in Charleston solo if my safety gear is 100%. We are thinking of doing a fishing yak regata out to the 4NM reef shortly and I pity the guys who must paddle only <grin>

I hope to have the sidekick ama set by then so I can use my sail some. I only sail it right now if not fishing and think it would make getting to fishing spots better if I had the AMA's and was safer against turtling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:18 am 
Hobie Team Member

Al

Boogie is on Oahu. I'm on the Big Island (Island of Hawaii).

Convince Vince to hold a Team Hobie meeting here and you'll be able to fish both islands. :lol:

I'm holding out for the gulf and sailing out to the oil rigs.

archae

The cell phone worked-sort of.

DO NOT buy one that does not have a flip screen cover. The exposed coverless view screen can be impossible to read in the sun. Add in bifoculs and older guys can have some real problems.

Another (censored) about them (am I stealing my own thread :roll: ) is the tiny keys for older hands that are all thumbs. Not to mention a dry bag is not enough protection from water. You lose the call by the time you extract it from your water proof protection setup. And the coverage is not there in many spots due to the mountain (volcano drop off) gradients creating shadow areas. etc etc :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan

On cell phone use in the yak, the waterproof cell bags for the flip phones have worked well for me. You slide the phone in open then close the phone when in place and some velcro holds the phone closed. Two plastic cams hold the bag watertight. I am planning to upgrade my phone to a waterproof one soon, but still bag it for double protection and easy cleanup.

Also, by putting a space in front of the most important number(s) (my wife is our transport in my case), I just press Search then Send and it always dials her since that brings her to the top of the list. That way I don't have to try to read the phone.

I've been out with Jesse fishing most Saturdays, now I just need to get the catching part down :)

Tight lines,

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 am 
Hobie Team Member

Quote:
Also, by putting a space in front of the most important number(s) (my wife is our transport in my case), I just press Search then Send and it always dials her since that brings her to the top of the list. That way I don't have to try to read the phone

Mahalo

Nice tip. I'll see if mine has that feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OOPs, I meant to say the space in front of the name. :?

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out the Torqueedo motor site. For a safe trip with unknowns. Built in backup. Graph shows a least 12 mile at 2 mph per charge. Total weight
25lbs no external battery. Small for storage. Couple that with sail /pedals.
Side mounting. Then check $