Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have no more than 19 feet, 2 inches of length in my garage. Will a TI sitting on the Hobie Single TI trailer be able to squeeze into that space, and can it safely be trailered with the bow sitting up mere inches from the ball hitch if that makes it fit in my garage?

One big assumption I'm making is the 18.5 ft length of the TI includes the rudder pointing straight back. Can I tuck it in hard to one side before backing it into its spot? How much extra space will that get me?

If it doesn't fit in the garage, it's a deal breaker for me. How creative will I have to get to make it work?

Thanks for any insights you might have :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might be able to angle it in and gain some room. It's only 4' wide on the trailer, but narrower than that at the bow and stern. You could remove the rudder from the gudgeon. It's just a split ring and the plastic pin. That would gain you 6 inches or so. You don't want the bow right up to the hitch as it would make hitching and un-hitching difficult.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Further to TI Tom's suggestion about removing the rudder to get more room... Ditch that split pin, it is a total waste of time! You will notice how difficult it is to get the rudder up/down lines out of the V groove sat the top of the pin... this difficulty ensures that the pin will not come out, despite the lack of the split pin, when sailing.

This will make regulsr removing the rudder when fitting your TI in the garage HEAPS easier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We keep our TI in our garage but the boat has to be angled. It takes up one whole space when angled. The good news is we now have a nice place to store the garbage bins, next to the rear right side of the boat, and two motor scooters next to the left front of the boat,,,, too many toys. The wifes vehicle parks in the driveway, just enough room for my convertible in the garage, (sorry honey but I can't park the roadster in the sun is the line I used). Takes me all of 5 minutes to back the car out, turn it around, then pull the boat out and hook it to the receiver. I added a caster wheel to the trailer just behind the hitch that makes rolling the trailer around easy.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put my trailer on car dollies using an aluminum floor jack. Along with the wheel on the trailer jack it allows me to push it right up to the back wall and against the side wall and still get two cars in the two car garage.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

nO0b wrote:
...and can it safely be trailered with the bow sitting up mere inches from the ball hitch if that makes it fit in my garage?

Works for me. The bow of my TI is around 4-6" behind the hitch. When I had my pickup I couldn't lower the tailgate with the TI hitched on. I now have a van and the doors open without a problem.

As for the garage, I have about the same length (can't recall just what it is now) and as the others describe I just roll it straight in until the rudder is nearly at the back then angle the hitch to one side. Just fits, maybe 2-3 inches to spare!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another option is to install a swing tongue on the trailer. Fulton makes several versions depending on what cross section the tongue is.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nO0b wrote:
I have no more than 19 feet, 2 inches of length in my garage. Will a TI sitting on the Hobie Single TI trailer be able to squeeze into that space, and can it safely be trailered with the bow sitting up mere inches from the ball hitch if that makes it fit in my garage?

One big assumption I'm making is the 18.5 ft length of the TI includes the rudder pointing straight back. Can I tuck it in hard to one side before backing it into its spot? How much extra space will that get me?

If it doesn't fit in the garage, it's a deal breaker for me. How creative will I have to get to make it work?

Thanks for any insights you might have :mrgreen:

I have found my ti is about 22ft on the trailer

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You must have a LOT of spare space between the bow and the hitch ball