Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is an invitation to all islanders that wish to join us on the Texas 200 this year. We already have two Hobie Islanders signed up and ready. Here is the description of the event as described on the Texas200.com website.

"The Texas 200 is a “Raid”-type event; that is, it involves a scheduled gathering of small boats traveling more or less in company from Point A to Point B over a period of several days, camping along the way. The Texas 200 goes through the Laguna Madre and the bays of South Texas for five to six days and about 200 miles. "

We have reserved a room and some boat slips in Port Mansfield for the weekend of the event. We have room for 2 more islanders (and their boats) should anyone want to join us. Either respond to this post or send me a private message on this site to let me know your interested. There are usually about 50-60 boats in the event and a handful of them will be Hobie Islands. You will want to have good command of your boat, skilled in self rescue and basic navigation skills to take this on. We can provide the GPS route and emergency information to anyone wishing to make the event. This is an adventure the never disappoints.

Here is a YouTube Video of some the boats. Our own Captain Chaos from Florida joined us last year on his AI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ZFwVsS2Wk&t=228s

Here is a video of Chadbbach's (another islander) 2016 video of the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUleDjy3CPg

Hope you can join us,
Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
This is an invitation to all islanders that wish to join us on the Texas 200 this year. We already have two Hobie Islanders signed up and ready. Here is the description of the event as described on the Texas200.com website.
Hope you can join us,
Greg

Glad to hear you're doing it again Greg !

I can't believe how quickly time goes by. When I saw this post I felt guilty that I still hadn't finished my write up of the event so I spent the last couple days finishing it. When Matt shares it on the Texas 200 site I'll post a link here. I didn't get too much video but put together a short one of what I had. Good footage of my spinnaker flying while going through Cedar Dugout.

https://youtu.be/eMLrdqp1LGg

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Jim. That video reminded how fast we were going with the boats loaded down. We were flying. Amaxing that these islands could take all of that. I bet we could have done the 5 days in half the time if we had to. Hope we get similar conditions this year since the first day is set for 60 miles.

Greg

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

would love to be able to do the Texas 200 but i cant take off a week during the summer. Same story with the florida 120 and almost all other events aside from the EC :cry:

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For anyone interested, my Journal of the Texas 200 in my Hobie Tandem Island and spinnaker has now been posted on the Texas 200 website.

Click here http://www.texas200.com/2018/index.html - Jim Quinlan.

On these sort of things I always take a little bit of time at the end of the day and in a little notebook jot down important details of the day so I can make a journal when i get back.