Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reading through the Pro Angler forum thread I came across this exciting piece news. A more powerful Torqeedo ultralight is coming! I wonder if it would be possible to mount it on a Tandem Island...

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=65690

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It looks like they never released an Ultralight version of the 1103 for kayaks, I only see a Travel version of it for small boats.

The Travel series has been around for years and is not as well suited for a kayak as the Ultralight series with dedicated kayak mounting.

Looks like a great idea that never happened or has yet to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Though not listed in any of the regular web pages at torqeedo.com, the manual for the Ultralight 1103 AC (part #1408-00) can be found here in a joint 403/1103 manual:

https://media.torqeedo.com/downloads/manuals/torqeedo-Ultralight-403-ac-manual-DE-EN.pdf

From the specs the complete kit is 9 pounds (4 kg) heavier than the 403 with the same 915 wh battery.

I am guessing there were issues discovered during testing that have stalled formal introduction.

I have the 403 on my Oasis (with 915 wh battery) and 1 hp is enough to start pushing hull speed wake buildup with greatly increased battery consumption and significant range reduction. I do not see a need for 3 hp in my scenario as top speed would not be much higher. I’d also worry about the mounting hardware and kayak durability with that much thrust. This motor seems overkill for most kayaks though perfect for a longer and heavier tandem island.

But a slight hp increase to the 403 would be nice when heading into waves and wind. If they replaced the 403 motor with a direct-drive 1.5 hp that would be about perfect for my Oasis.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Torqueedo has announced they are coming out with a new more powerful motor. The current Ultralight 403 is rated at 1 hp (equivalent). The new model is rated at 3 hp (equivalent). Early 2020 is the last I heard on the release date.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It does seem like a good fit for the Tandem Island, but I still wonder if there will be an appropriate mounting option...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Torqeedo does a good job with the Ultralight series mounting in both versions.

The only complaint I have with my Ultralight 403 is that very bad weather or very strong currents can sometimes overwhelm it. A 3HP option would effectively resolve that problem.

Expect electric motors and batteries to get better and better over the years until they strongly compete with and eventually perhaps replace gasoline motors. However, Torqueedo really needs to try on making them much more affordable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen a number of reports suggesting that Torqeedo quality & service is......problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bluelaser2 wrote:
I have seen a number of reports suggesting that Torqeedo quality & service is......problematic.

I've had mine since 2015 and it's been great. I've put many hundreds of hours on it in every condition possible, high heat, massive storms, cold weather, rock hits, and even situations where the battery was submerged.

I've only ever had one very minor issue which Torqeedo fixed faster than I could ever get a repair appointment with a dealer for any other boat motor I've owned. Out of all the boat motors I've ever owned, it has been by far the most dependable. If that weren't enough, it requires virtually no maintenance.

I really couldn't be happier with mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.