Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Reading through the Pro Angler forum thread I came across this exciting piece news. A more powerful Torqeedo ultralight is coming! I wonder if it would be possible to mount it on a Tandem Island...

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=65690

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It looks like they never released an Ultralight version of the 1103 for kayaks, I only see a Travel version of it for small boats.

The Travel series has been around for years and is not as well suited for a kayak as the Ultralight series with dedicated kayak mounting.

Looks like a great idea that never happened or has yet to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Though not listed in any of the regular web pages at torqeedo.com, the manual for the Ultralight 1103 AC (part #1408-00) can be found here in a joint 403/1103 manual:

https://media.torqeedo.com/downloads/manuals/torqeedo-Ultralight-403-ac-manual-DE-EN.pdf

From the specs the complete kit is 9 pounds (4 kg) heavier than the 403 with the same 915 wh battery.

I am guessing there were issues discovered during testing that have stalled formal introduction.

I have the 403 on my Oasis (with 915 wh battery) and 1 hp is enough to start pushing hull speed wake buildup with greatly increased battery consumption and significant range reduction. I do not see a need for 3 hp in my scenario as top speed would not be much higher. I’d also worry about the mounting hardware and kayak durability with that much thrust. This motor seems overkill for most kayaks though perfect for a longer and heavier tandem island.

But a slight hp increase to the 403 would be nice when heading into waves and wind. If they replaced the 403 motor with a direct-drive 1.5 hp that would be about perfect for my Oasis.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Torqueedo has announced they are coming out with a new more powerful motor. The current Ultralight 403 is rated at 1 hp (equivalent). The new model is rated at 3 hp (equivalent). Early 2020 is the last I heard on the release date.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It does seem like a good fit for the Tandem Island, but I still wonder if there will be an appropriate mounting option...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Torqeedo does a good job with the Ultralight series mounting in both versions.

The only complaint I have with my Ultralight 403 is that very bad weather or very strong currents can sometimes overwhelm it. A 3HP option would effectively resolve that problem.

Expect electric motors and batteries to get better and better over the years until they strongly compete with and eventually perhaps replace gasoline motors. However, Torqueedo really needs to try on making them much more affordable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen a number of reports suggesting that Torqeedo quality & service is......problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bluelaser2 wrote:
I have seen a number of reports suggesting that Torqeedo quality & service is......problematic.

I've had mine since 2015 and it's been great. I've put many hundreds of hours on it in every condition possible, high heat, massive storms, cold weather, rock hits, and even situations where the battery was submerged.

I've only ever had one very minor issue which Torqeedo fixed faster than I could ever get a repair appointment with a dealer for any other boat motor I've owned. Out of all the boat motors I've ever owned, it has been by far the most dependable. If that weren't enough, it requires virtually no maintenance.

I really couldn't be happier with mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like it is for sale now. Austin Kayak has it listed on their website with an availability date (aka backordered until) Jan 30, 2020. $2699 - Part Number 1408-00, Torqeedo Ultralight 1103 AC
https://www.austinkayak.com/Torqeedo-Ul ... 8603P.html

Here's a video of it last weekend (Jan 10, 2020) at the Houston Boat show, Austin Kayak booth.
https://www.facebook.com/TorqeedoKayakF ... 313335347/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know it was already on the website.

It does look like a great option for the Hobie Tandem Island. I just see two 'minor' problems: it doesn't look like there is a mounting option for the TI and, if I understood the technical specifications correctly, it might not be legal to use it with the TI. I went through the specs and it states the propulsive power is 540 watts. My understanding is that for the TI the maximum is 400 watt. I don't own at TI yet (sigh!) but I've seen an online photo of the TI decal. Am I (unfortunately) right?

Last edited by Chess on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chess wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know it was already on the website.

It does look like a great option for the Hobie Tandem Island. I just see two 'minor' problems: it doesn't look like there is a mounting option for the TI and, if I understood correctly the technical specifications, it might not be legal to use it with the TI. I went through the specs and it states the propulsive power is 540 watts. My understanding is that for the TI the maximum is 400 watt. I don't own at TI yet (sigh!) but I've seen an online photo of the TI decal. Am I (unfortunately) right?

LOL, you're right, but that never stopped anyone here from putting up to a 5HP gas outboard on their TI's! One prominent member here even put two gas outboards on his TI. All very well documented in this forum.

It's not so much a question of being "legal", it's more a question of being not necessarily recommended by Hobie. However, a 3HP electric motor is not nearly as heavy as a gasoline motor and that 540 watts in power will not exceed the TI's capabilities which have been well proven with the use of equally and more powerful and heavier gas motors. So, other than some possible warranty issues, there's really nothing to worry about.

As far as mounting the 1103AC goes, it will take some minor fabrication of a bracket to extend it beyond the rudder. Again, people here, including myself, have had no trouble coming up with mounting options even for heavy gas outboards. This will be a minor challenge in comparison. Someone for sure will come up with a solution. I hope that will be me as I'm very seriously considering getting an 1103AC, but I need to sell my 403 first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ha, ha! Fair points, pro10is! I'm not worried about the warranty, though. I'm worried about being stopped and fined by the police! Here in Europe, and in Switzerland in particular, they seem to be very strict. If the TI can handle a 1003AC, and it seems it should be able to, it would be great if Hobie could tweak the decal and increase the maximum watt capacity, even if they want to establish a weight limit for the motor. As you can see, I am a bit concerned about the decal (I also participated in the thread about maximum crew capacity) because I really want to avoid any unnecessary problems with the authorities. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear you, that unfortunate decal has caused me problems, not because of the power rating, but due to the capacity rating. I was turned back to the dock by marine law enforcement when I had four people aboard. That happened twice. Then I decided to become an outlaw and conveniently covered the sticker with hydroturf. I haven't had a problem since.

It's unlikely that anyone would believe that a relatively small electric motor was too powerful for the boat. How would they even know simply by looking at it? You would have to tell them the power rating of the motor and they probably wouldn't even think to ask. If you think it's a problem where you live, you could always stick with the 1HP 403. Mine has served me well for years.

Oddly enough, I was never stopped by anyone for the motor, even when I had a huge 3.5 HP outboard hanging off of it. They were never concerned about that at all, it was only the capacity rating that they had an issue with. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chess wrote:
it doesn't look like there is a mounting option for the TI

I've heard several people rave about the mounting designs from Kevin Dismuke. You might reach out to him and see what he knows.

https://www.kdkayakmotormounts.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips, pro10is and Swfinatic! Very helpful! Part of the problem would be solved if Hobie increased the maximum watts on their decal for the TI...

It seems the crew capacity has already been changed on the 2020 decals, although it remains the same on the web specs for the TI.