Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bought my AI2 in August 2015.

The sail bag has gotten to that point where little holes are starting to appear and it will tear at the slightest provocation. ... Last week, I was inserting the mast/sail and something caught - opening up a couple of 2+ foot tears in the bag.

Seems to me like typical UV damage to non-UV-resistant material - unlike this stuff, which is warrantied for 10 years in the sun: http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Sunbrella%20Warranty.pdf

I just got finished opening up the bag and sewing in a liner made out of cast-off windsurfer sail bags and that should give it another season or two or three.

But failure this early seems kind of extreme to me.

I made the boat's cover (which also covers the sail & mast) out of Home Depot's el-cheapo 10-oz drop cloth material (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-9-f ... /203432096) and that cover, sitting in the sun all day every day, seems to be holding up better than the sail bag.

Am I the only one?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine has held up just fine over the last 2 years. Granted, the boat is stored in a garage when not in use. Additionally, if I'm traveling any sort of distance I place the sail and mast in the bag, then insert into the PVC mast holder that I've fashioned for the trailer.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had my 2017 T.I. for about four days now, and I have two small rips in the sail bag. By comparison, my 2010 A.I. sail bag looks brand new, maybe I bumped it against something and just didn't notice. When I saw the "tears" I thought, "they certainly have gone to a flimsier material".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine ripped first season. Now more tape than cover. Horrible product. Wrong fabric.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a used 2009 AI in June and the cover is still in perfect condition but was stored in a larger PVC pipe. The cover is also a different material - actually seems like a cheaper plastic type cover but is great.

In August I bought a used 2019 TI (so happy with all the new features!) and its cover is more canvas like which you'd think would be better but has holes in it. I'm not sure how it was stored over the past two years. I'll keep it inside during the winter and under a deck when not in use the rest of the year.

On a side note, when the TI is at the waterfront for a few weeks - being used often but maybe not daily do you take the mast down and cover it up or just leave it up with the sail furled?