Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HY,
just purchased a used tandem island and want to fit a jib. I'm thinking of a jib from a a light spinnaker cloth What is your experiences for this project
1. What luff leach foot we are able to fit ?
2 what kind of selftacking system?
3.what kind of mast topper system you have for allowing to fit a forestay backstay and shroud
thank you in advance

Last edited by incognito on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: tandem island gib
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are a bunch of posts on here describing jib setups. I'm sure you can find them with a search. There are also several YouTube vides.

However, in one post on this subject, Hobie describes how they folded the bow of the boat during testing of a jib setup. Sailing upwind in heavy wind put enormous pressure on the forestay and compression on the mast. This resulted in folding the bow of the boat at the weak point in the area of the forward hatch. Be careful! This is probably why Hobie has never come out with their own jib setup for the TI.

Post subject: Re: tandem island jib
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw a lot of videos on youtube and this site about the tandem island jib conversion but I couldn't find a detail information about how they did it, the loof leach foot of the sail, etc etc
I saw some guys are able to use a furler or to use the mast as the furler wonder how. I really would like to have it on a furler since I plan to do a 4 point mast topper with forestay backstay and the 2 two on the side( can't remember their name in english).
Since there are some posts saying that I the bow is not strong enough I plan to reinforce the inside of the bow with some kind of foam.
I you have a detail information about the jib conversion please send me the link
thank you

Post subject: Re: tandem island gib
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
However, in one post on this subject, Hobie describes how they folded the bow of the boat during testing of a jib setup. Sailing upwind in heavy wind put enormous pressure on the forestay and compression on the mast. This resulted in folding the bow of the boat at the weak point in the area of the forward hatch. Be careful! This is probably why Hobie has never come out with their own jib setup for the TI.

I think that any foresail (jib or spinnaker) would never be used with wind above 10 knots. I undertand that fiberglass dinghies fly those sails also with strong winds but our boat is different.
I undersnat that Hobie must be cautious and they have to think also at the crazy users. for this reason they gave up selling a jib. they could be considered responsible in case of accidents. But a custom personal setup of a jib is possible and could be useful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just bought a jib over ebay nice colors a 11 feet luff by 4 feet foot. Since I saw a lot of posts with TI jib but impossible to find any dimensions that will be it 11x4. It should be enough for this light kayak,
I'm not an expert but imho. this huge powerfull mainsail put forward is creating pitchpoling conditions in big waves when sailing hard. So the jib I hope it will depower a bit the mainsail into strong wind. Adding also more sail in light winds( light winds are never a problem so more sail is ok)

1.Here are the mods untill now and some review

Suzuky 2.5, just rear the rear seat. It'S a great little engine for this boat, don't need more, a full fuel tank gives around 12-15 kms which is enough .The only thing is it's just too close to my left ear so I'm going to move it just behind the rear hatch.I will add some foam to make the stern larger, the rudder lines are already under the water .....and the engine is not yet completly aft.

a 500gph water pump( too much but draws only 1.6 amps) connected to a 9AH battery it will be there for my peace of mind

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Rule-Pompe-c ... =8-13&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Rocker-Switches-B ... 94&sr=8-12

a 4-8 feet telescopic aluminium pole connected to a tiller yoke, perfect fit. needs to drill a hole at the end of the aluminium pole ( 7-8 mm from the end) for the tiller ujoint pin. the ujoint screw fit perfect into the hobie tiller arm. I just get rid of those plastic black spacer doN't need it. So I can sail from the trampolins.
https://www.murrays.com/product/01-0062/

next projects once I find an aluminium welder
plastic akas with reinforced aluminium subframe found some nice pvc 1/4 lattice 4x8, i'll cut them 30 inches by 64 for each side.,over it I will fit some black yoga foam mats :D light and strong
https://www.rona.ca/en/pvc-lattice-4-x- ... 9-10505031
lonker akas 1or 1.5 feet longer. cut , add a tubes and welding .hoping to see those amas over the water ( multihulls are sailing over the water hihihi)

Last edited by incognito on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lots of ideas for how to tweak the Islands (TI/AI) including changing the sail plan can be found on this forum - recommend using the search function.

Few ideas pulled together here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... f+shore+TI

Unfortunately - it looks like Hobie has kicked the Island to the backwaters as far as upgrades go....just updated Mirage drives over the last couple of years...no changes / improvements to the basic hull or sail plan.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

another project done a jib, 11 feet luff by 4 feet foot. a 12-14 feet luff would have been better but for 60$ it's just ok, looks like a real tri hahahaa. it furls in the mast main and with all the jib furled into the mast main I stilll have half of the main available in case of a storm , photos are on the facebook group of tandem island.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Which Facebook group of tandem island....? I'm in about 3, found about 5 more...