Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
All these Tandem Island improvement ideas are interesting but, honestly, the two most important changes I would like to see are also two that will not happen:

1. An integrated or optional outboard motor rear-side-mount that is Hobie-approved for up to 3HP equivalent (like Torqeedo or ePropulsion electric outboards).

2. Redesigned/reinforced hull bottom such that tubular (PVC or other) trailers of a specified length, diameter, and spacing are approved for upright transport and storage. Would require redesign of the seat drains and possibly scuppers. The hull bottom shape is already a very close match for properly spaced 3" diameter bunks, not that much change would be needed. Maybe a slight decrease in rocker and some reshaping.

Peter

These are the top two things I want to see as well. Motor mount, and improved transport options that use a parallel design (pvc bunk style) for both trailers and carts. The biggest pain for me is transport and launch, the cradles are not a good option imo, I also don't understand the scupper cart since it's a struggle to engage unless you tilt the boat on its side which is impossible with the outriggers on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as hull design goes, I’d like to see better water deflection…it’s going to be a wet ride no matter what but I think a little lip along the top edge would go far in helping reduce the bow spray.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Caveat: Every boat design is an exercise in compromise and the TI has done a great job at that.

My suggestion: Reshape the amas to be more like the hulls on a Hobie Cat to improve upwind performance. This might require stronger akas and a stronger connection point at the hull.

or - add a big surfboard finbox to the amas so that owners add a surfboard fin to the amas for better upwind tracking. Same issue might apply to effect on the ama/connection point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the idea of ama fins to improve upwind tracking. Seems like it could make a significant difference, and perhaps a simple modification to try. What size fin would you guess?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So, I did an experiment in which I cut a slot out of the bottom of two old-style mirage drive cassettes and epoxied in a large surfboard fin box in each. I then used a skeg for a stand-up paddleboard, maybe an 8 inch skeg, and then used them as additional centerboards when I took out the mirage drives to sail. It worked pretty well, BUT, the pins on the sides of the cassettes were not strong enough to handle the lateral pressure and they both eventually broke. I might try it again on the re-designed cassettes, but I can foresee some engineering/design difficulties there as well.

Edited to add: Ain't no way I am going to cut a hole in my amas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What about locking the pedals next to each other so that the mirage fins point straight down. Would that not serve as additional centerboard?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A little, but the fins work by flexing from side to side when you pedal, so they tend to just flex and let the water slide by rather than act as stabilizer when under sail. Also, they create a lot more drag than the centerboard or a skeg because of their shape.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always sailed with the mirage drive fins down (feet together) going upwind and fins against the hull (feet apart) going downwind. It always seemed to help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No boat can be everything to all people. The TI is a unique craft that offers abilities that few other boats can. A lot of people are trying to use it for things that it was never designed for and which can be detrimental to it's type of roto-molded construction. And then there is the fact that to get one thing you often have to give up something else. To get more performance are you willing to pay more to buy one? Are you willing to accept extra weight in order to have a larger hull?

I've never understood this constant craving for "upgrades." The most successful sailboats in the world have never been "upgraded." The Hobie 16, for instance, is pretty much the same boat now that it was in 1970. Some of this is due to not wanting to upset one-design rules, but much of it is because they got it right at the outset. It does what it was designed to do, very well. And the TI does what it was designed to do, very well.

Worthwhile tweaks and features are one thing, but upgrades for the sake of upgrades rarely are.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie already made a high performance tri. It was called the trifoiler and went about 30 mph. The TI is just a kayak and has a definite hull speed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a uselful and interesting post and I really hope that Hobie people will consider to follow the direction of a new design of the Hobie tandem.
I agree with most of the modification purposed in the beginning of this post but I want to add something.
Beware the weight! we could add so many improvements but we cannot loose that feature of the easily moved, mounted and put in the water boat.
I sailed an Astus trimaran and moving it was a nightmare.
I totally agree that Hobie Tandem is a sailing boat and not a kayak, therefore a hull designed for kayaking is a nonsense. This is not a new boat, we are not anymore in 2006 and Hobie had so many years to change its shape. The lack of a bowsprit also made very difficult to rig any frontsail.
Honestly I should have expected that somebody else could build a better boat but it didnt happen. There was an sill there is NO alternative to hobie tandem island in the whole world. and this is surprising.