Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sailing Lake Tahoe today on 2021 AI, light winds 6+, flat water, when pin through knuckle at Aka crossbar connection fell out. Was able to secure by putting marlin spike through, after furling sail and pedal 2 miles home.
Never heard of this happening. Called dealer, filing warranty. Lucky to did not happen in heavy air with 50 degree water and air temp. Own 3 AI's and going to be electrical tape the others. Trying to add Pic.. See how long Hobie takes to replace as we are down one boat till then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday.

I was sailing my 2021 Hobie Tandem Island offshore in the Atlantic Ocean off the Jersey coast in flat - low wind conditions (wind was ~ 5 mph with gust to 10 mph).

I was tacking down wind and as I was about to turn to starboard... I observed the forward starboard Alama separating from the from the main hull and was pointing at - 45 degree angle to starboard. See photo below.

ImageHobie TI AKA Joint Pin Failure by Jim Powers, on Flickr

It took me a minute or so to sort this out. I was hoping the AKA joint connection had just popped out, but as I got closer I noticed the AKA joint had separated with the pin fully missing....

I experienced the same pin failure on my Hobie AI a number of years back....in almost the same location in the Atlantic Ocean....

I eventually got the TI sorted out and lashed the nose of the Alma to the main hull using the free end of the furling line (not the best strategy as this limited furling the sail....).

Thankfully I was only a mile offshore but I still needed to navigate the Townsend Inlet shoals and tidal currents.
The Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard saved the day and got me safely back into the protected bay waters where I was able to sail downwind back to the boat ramp. see photo below.

On shore I inspected the AKA joint and confirmed the pin was totally missing along with the set screw and the square plug that covers the set screw. see photos below.

ImageHobie Tanden Island AKA joint failure pin drop by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Now I need to find the part numbers that need to be replaced (assume the pin, set screw, or maybe the whole forward starboard AKA). I bought this 2021 TI used. Not certain of the part numbers. Can anyone help on the part numbers?

Preventative actions planned: 1) check tightness of all AKA pins, 2) add lock tight blue, 3) add 1" by 1" gorilla tape to the bottom of all joints covering the pin to prevent "pin drop out failures".

Thanks

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone know the part numbers for the:
- AKA join pin (stainless steel)
- Set screw for the above
- square plastic plug for the set screw access

Thanks

Jim

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for posting this. I just checked my aka knuckles on my 2020 TI and found a couple of the set screws not very tight. Slathered them with loctite and reinstalled. Taped them up for extra measure. Thanks for pointing this out before I became a turtle. :o :D