Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese clone tested
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all. I had the chance to use the Tandem Island chinese clone for 2 days. It belongs to one of my friends, but I own the Hobie Tandem Island since 8 years therefore I thought it could be useful to show and type a comparison of the 2 boats. it's not a highly technical comparison, I could not make a chemical material test of the plastic and metal used. Just accept it as a "user opinion".
I try to list the main differences between the two boat:

- ChinoTandem is provided with an aluminium mast. This was not clearly specified by the seller (bad) and I didnt find any video about it online. My friend cannot manage the weight of the aluminium mast therefore he replaced it immedtaly wih a carbon mast coming from windsurfs, of course with extra $$

- Chinotandem has a strange "double keel" that could mean more safety but honesty I am not sure about its real utility. Most if us experience problem of water coming from the hatches and a second keel don't save from having the hull full of water and half submerged. for sure it means more floatance

- The design of the front hatch is completely different and this (i hoped) could mean less water inside the hull in wavy sea as unfortunately happens to many of us Hobie users. Unfortunately on the second day with the Chinotandem, we went upwind for 3 hours with 14 knots and at the end the hull was almost submerged, therefore the problem exists and is even bigger with this boat

- the drives are exacly the same copy of the hobie drives but 2016 model. No newer features

- The hull looks strong exacly as the hobie (at the touch) same shape. I cannot make a chemical test of the plastic grade.

- some minor changes at handles, steering knob, round hatch locks and drive locks are probably made just "to change something". also the steering and rudder lines are probably percfectly copied

- this boats showed to lack an accurate control quality check. many screws and bungees were loose. incredibly the mast base plate was completely unscrewed and moving freely in the mast well.

- seats are comfortable and lifted but not the same adjustments of the hobie seats.

- sail looks exactly the same and branded Neipride

- cost. this boat was sold for $3000 but you have to add import taxes and custom agency costs. this extra cost therefore will vary depending from how u live. in the case of my friend the cost reached $5000 but I suppose that in other countries it could be around $4000. is it worth? I should say absolutely NOT if you live in USA or a country where the import taxes from USA are not high not mentioning the great hobie assistance. In europe the situation is different. it's not easy to find used boats and the cost for a new one is much much high than in USA (and with averagly lower wages).

I made a video of our trip and posted on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNvdjUN66A&t=5s
unfortunately some of my videoclips were lost and this video miss close up details.

Post subject: Re: Chinese clone tested
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very interesting! I had no idea that a Chinese clone of the TI existed.

Thank you for the comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is one of several clones that can be found.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/U-Boat-18ft-trimaran-fin-drive_60806485491.html

And here is the manufacturer's webpage for it:
http://www.nbuboat.com/?products/trimaran.html

And an American distributor:
https://www.marinenow.com/marinenow-tandem-sailing-pedal-kayak-2-person/

Last link has a video on the page that does a good walk-thru and makes it easy to spot differences from Hobie's product.

Peter

Last edited by plfinch on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Great shot with the rudder on backwards.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No thanks....saving for a real TI.

The Chinese copy amateur radios as well. And while they are good for the money, they are NEVER as good as the real thing (aka Icom).

The fake TI is probably good for the $$ but I bet they are cutting corners somewhere ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Great shot with the rudder on backwards.

I think the rudder is fine... it's the rest of the boat that's backwards...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought patents would protect Hobie's designs. Especially with the mirage drive. How do they get away with this? Aluminum mast? I feel confident sailing the Hobie in horrible conditions but would be pretty nervous if a storm developed and I was in one of these knockoffs.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
I thought patents would protect Hobie's designs. Especially with the mirage drive. How do they get away with this? Aluminum mast? I feel confident sailing the Hobie in horrible conditions but would be pretty nervous if a storm developed and I was in one of these knockoffs.

Jim

China is notorious for disregarding US patents and outright stealing of US intellectual property. There is little recourse companies can do in such situations.

This affects other countries as well. In my research of TI motors, I came across the China-made Newport Vessels NK-180 Kayak Motor which is obviously an outright copy of the German-designed Torqeedo A-Series kayak motors:

NK-180

Torqeedo AC

Newport Vessels even used essentially the same photo layout as Torqeedo's of the motor as and its components in their advertisements.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks to me like he clone has the OLDER (pre 2015) hull shapes?

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

Thanks,

David