Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: TI Carrying Capacity
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree with your comments and glad to see you back on the forum fusioneng!

Glad to see Hobie updating the capacity sticker.

I too have modified my TI (2021) for offshore duty (mostly for distance, speed and safety).

I also adopted your recommendation for vinyl wrapped closet rods for my TI trailer. Works great!

Will be kicking around Plantation key (in the Florida keys) in late Feb to early April 2023 with my TI. Should be fun. No scuba planned but will be doing some snorkeling.

Plan to continue pushing out TI YouTube videos so I and others can continue to enjoy TI sailing, even after I hang up my sails....

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
We have been stopped several times, they make sure we all have Pfd's (all children must be wearing theirs), flares, and all required coast guard safety equipment (mandatory when more than 2 miles from shore) then just go on their way. I wouldn't sweat it, there are no fines or anything, the worst they can do is make you return to shore.
Bob

Just to be clear, for daytime operations there are no requirements to carry flares or signaling devices on on open sailboat less than 26' in length in coastal waters. The only safety equipment requirements I can see that apply for a TI (over 16') would be an audible signal device divide such as a horn or whistle, a wearable PFD for each occupant, and a throwable Type 4 device. Again, these are daytime rules and I'm not telling anyone what safety equipment they should or should not carry. Personally, I plan to take a Type 4 throwable device, make sure I have a whistle that someone can actually hear instead of the one in my life vest, and obtain an LED signal device before I venture offshore. Oh, and probably carry a registered PLB onboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One thing we found out the hard way is a planned day only trip doesn’t always end up that way.
Wind change, losing track of time, wind dies, etc.
Many times we would be offshore in the keys planning to get back before dark. Having problems then end up coming in way after dark, ( usually totally exhausted).
Gps’s often fail, ( we have gone thru many). We had battery powered running lites stored in a drybag that we could just clip on if it got dark on us, (red, green, white), and extra batteries of course).
You really need a powerful flashlight after dark to see channel markers and find your way back to launch, ( everything looks the same after dark). Lol in Key largo we went into 3 resorts one night, thinking each was ours, we ended having to get directions.
Another time we launched along us 1, ( in the keys), and came back way late, and couldn’t find our dang car, ended up using the car key fob to find it.
We always carried 100 miles of fuel on board, just in case things go bad, ( and they often did, the keys are very dangerous).
Plan for anything and everything goin wrong, just in case. This includes a very good first aid kit for possibly severe injuries, ( shark attacks). And all radios and plb’s you can get. And make sure someone on shore knows everything planned so they can alert people if things go wrong.
Just highlighting stuff that actually happened to us, and stuff you probably should think about before going offshore, whether legally required or not, all just common sense.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Agree, when sailing offshore in tidal waters with currents.... safety is a must. I always wear a good PFD, have both marine radio, 2 GPSs, EPRB, cell phone, dry suit, Suzuki outboard, water and food.

I had a long sail in Chesapeake Bay a couple of days ago. Wind was blowing ~ 15 mph with gust approaching 25+. Had to keep on your toes. I always submit a sail plan to my family when sailing solo.... in case of an emergency.... on this day the winds changed up direction and I had to adjust my sailing route (sailing from the Susquehanna River through the upper Chesapeake Bay to the North East River ~ 30 mile round trip). I had to update my sail plan on the fly.... The wind, currents and waves were manageable in the TI. The tricky part.... It rained for the entire 7 hours that I was on the water.... decided to put my dry suit on at the boat ramp even before getting into the water..... to protect from hypothermia....which can be a real killer.

Per the original subject for this post, I have included a photo of the Capacity sticker on my 2022 Hobie Tandem Island .... now list 4 people but no change in the overall weight capacity (600 lbs). Thought there was another thread on this subject that I posted to but could not find it.

I sail solo most of the time, but when I have loaded down my TI with 4 people and close to the 600 lbs weight limit, the TI sails much lower in the water and carries additional water in the cockpit (coming up from the mirage drive well). The overall sailing / speed performance drops off also as you load the TI up. More weight on the TI = more safety and precautions that you need to take.

ImageHobe 2022 Tandem Island Sticker by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6