Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[b]Please say the rumor isn't true![/b] This was mentioned in a Hobie Adventure Island FB group after a dealer shared this information with them.
Although I plan on getting a tandem, I currently LOVE my AI and plan to keep, so hoping parts and support will still be available.

Can someone at Hobie confirm or put this to rest? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

vtiem wrote:
[b]Please say the rumor isn't true![/b] This was mentioned in a Hobie Adventure Island FB group after a dealer shared this information with them.
Although I plan on getting a tandem, I currently LOVE my AI and plan to keep, so hoping parts and support will still be available.

Can someone at Hobie confirm or put this to rest? Thanks.

Hadn't heard. That would be a shame.
I don't work for Hobie.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My local dealer told me it was likely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RickO, did the dealer specifically say AI only? I want to make sure the tandem will still be available in near future.
So sad, if true. The AI's are wonderful for solo runs and for smaller folks like me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, the dealer said the AI only. No plans to D/C the TI. I guess the AI is selling much as compared to the TI.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I would imagine the tandem would sell more since men are mainly buying. The AI is a lot for me to handle as a smallish woman, but I LOVE it and am planning on getting a Tandem, too, so friends can go out with me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First up I hope this isn’t true.
I sail weekly, started with an generation 2 AI and upgrade to a TI last year. I have a background of sailing not kayaking and bought a Hobie Island as I live in an apartment with limited space, it was the spinnaker/tiller steering and tramps that drew my attention to the Islands as it felt like a pocket sailing boat. That being said the whole concept from the mirage drive, low maintenance, offshore sailing capability and portability is just amazing, they really are unequalled in the sailing world.
I had great fun with my AI such a clever multiple purpose kayak, paddle it solo or even take a friend out sailing, just fantastic. I camp sailed in the Whitsundays for a week, this is where the AI excels as an adventure expedition boat. The whole boat is 35kgs lighter than the TI to get up and down the beach, not sure I could have done that solo with a TI in some location and then there is the peddling. I could peddle all day with the AI again not sure about the TI solo. From a pure sailing point of view, in my opinion the TI does go to windward and tack better, but this is to be expected given the increases hull length and rig size.

They are both amazing boats, please keep building them Hobie.

Ps when I sold the AI, I also bought a Revolution 13 with a sail kit but I quickly sold it, as the set-up was a bit disappointing. If Hobie is really discontinuing the AI there is an opportunity to provide a decent proa kit with a lee board and tramp for kayak range to optimise the existing sail kit.

Cheers Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Andy, I completely agree! The AI is fantastic. I'm new to sailing and LOVE mine, which is a new-to-me 2014. I had intended on upgrading to a new one for solo sails and still buying a tandem to take out friends. Now, I wonder if I shouldn't just invest in the upgrades for my AI--180 pedal being the main one and any spare parts specific to the AI that may be discontinued.

If it's just me, I want the solo--already hard for me to manage on my own, so the TI for solo sails might be difficult. You also mentioned the TI for sailing overall isn't as receptive as AI.
I haven't tried beach launch yet as we have a seawall and slip--inlet lake/river right off Lake Michigan--so I've had to come up with a way to launch on my own with the added obstacles and hassles, so it needs to be ON the water but not IN the water.
--My long term solution is to purchase a shore master lift (used ones can be found easily) and build a submergible platform because I leave the amas open with tramps.
--My short term solution has been working great though. I purchased an inflatable swim platform (10' x 10' and rigid similar to paddleboards) and tied to the dock and cross pilons like a floating dock. It's low to the water, and with addition of outside carpet runner along middle, allows the AI to easily slide in and out of the water, leaving the rest 'gripy' for me to walk on. Bought it on Amazon for $500 and with the multiple d-rings built in to secure the AI to the platform, and solid handles to tie it off to dock, has been worth it.

So yes, agree, Hobie, please find a way to keep manufacturing both! I

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a Revo 13 but if the AI is discontinued please improve the Revo 13 sail kit and sidekicks. This would give us urban dwellers who need to cartop some alternative. Seems like the current sail kit and sidekicks are not enough and the TI is too much for urban storage and transport.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Was told in a Hobie FB group the AI discontinuation was officially announced. Hobie will continue making parts for two years. I'd like to upgrade my 2014 or actually just have a second AI, so anyone selling a 2017 or newer PLEASE let me know!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is an unpleasant surprise. There are a large number of AI owners on the (NorCal)
kayak fishing forum that I frequent, and this news came as a shock to all of us.

I own a 2014 AI that I bought used in 2015. I also have a 2013 Adventure that I bought new,
planning to upgrade to a full AI, but I got such a good deal on the 2014 AI that I couldn't
pass it up. Fortunately, I kept the Adventure and, ironically, just a few weeks ago was gifted
crossbars and akas, and I found some used amas for a great price. I had to buy a mast receiver
and I'll need a mast, but I'll eventually have a second complete AI. I plan to use them
until they turn to dust...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just bought a used 2016 AI in great shape. Are we still able to get parts if needed?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A lot of parts are the same as the TI, so you can get those parts, the AI specivic parts? I don’t know

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What parts would be AI specific besides the hull and amas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mast, sail and battens, crossbar (iff that is the correct name) front and rear