Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just recently purchased a 2020 Tandem Island and have two questions...

1) There seem to be three (3) drain plugs, in total. One is located in the transom of the main hull, below the rudder; and one in the aft end of each of the amas. I could not find any info in the Hobie Owner's Manual about the location of drain plugs. Have I missed something or are these 3 the only plugs :?

2) In the rear cockpit, just forward of the mirage drive slot, there are two thru-hulls; one on the port side, one on starboard. Are these thru-hulls meant to assist with draining the cockpit? Should they be plugged?

Thanks,
Darrell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buzzardeasco wrote:

1) There seem to be three (3) drain plugs, in total. One is located in the transom of the main hull, below the rudder; and one in the aft end of each of the amas. I could not find any info in the Hobie Owner's Manual about the location of drain plugs. Have I missed something or are these 3 the only plugs?

These are all the drain plugs. The main hull aft plug is used to drain any water that may have entered the hull during operation. You should open this drain after each outing to ensure water does not accumulate in the hull.

The amas rarely, if ever, accumulate water if they are in good shape. The plugs are used more to equalize the air pressure. Open them occasionally and you should hear the air equalize. Ensure that they're always fully sealed for normal operation.

Buzzardeasco wrote:
2) In the rear cockpit, just forward of the mirage drive slot, there are two thru-hulls; one on the port side, one on starboard. Are these thru-hulls meant to assist with draining the cockpit? Should they be plugged?

These thru-hull holes are designed to allow any significant amount of water entering the cockpit to escape. If you're operating the boat in choppy or rough water, this may be necessary. Otherwise, you can plug them to prevent any water from under the hull from occasionally splashing in and then open them only as necessary. You should have received the plugs with your TI. If not, you can buy them.

The same is true for the other cockpit and storage area drain holes located within the boat. You can open and close them as needed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pro10is wrote:
Buzzardeasco wrote:

1) There seem to be three (3) drain plugs, in total. One is located in the transom of the main hull, below the rudder; and one in the aft end of each of the amas. I could not find any info in the Hobie Owner's Manual about the location of drain plugs. Have I missed something or are these 3 the only plugs?

These are all the drain plugs. The main hull aft plug is used to drain any water that may have entered the hull during operation. You should open this drain after each outing to ensure water does not accumulate in the hull.

The amas rarely, if ever, accumulate water if they are in good shape. The plugs are used more to equalize the air pressure. Open them occasionally and you should hear the air equalize. Ensure that they're always fully sealed for normal operation.

Buzzardeasco wrote:

These thru-hull holes are designed to allow any significant amount of water entering the cockpit to escape. If you're operating the boat in choppy or rough water, this may be necessary. Otherwise, you can plug them to prevent any water from under the hull from occasionally splashing in and then open them only as necessary. You should have received the plugs with your TI. If not, you can buy them.

The same is true for the other cockpit and storage area drain holes located within the boat. You can open and close them as needed.

hello,
so I never received the plugs with my TI. where can I buy them?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

frankiepark wrote:
hello,
so I never received the plugs with my TI. where can I buy them?

You can buy the Hobie Scupper Plugs anywhere where Hobie parts are sold such as here.

You can also buy universal scupper plugs such as these.