Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New guy - New AI
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last month I was on Maui and saw a couple of AI's traveling up and down the South Coast near Kihei. I was amazed at the seaworthy abilities of this small craft. Did some investigation (gotta love youtube) and now I own one.
My plan is to do some San Francisco Bay sailing. Anyone out there from my area, I'd love to here where you sail.
And thanks to all of you who have posted videos, they are awesome. :D
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your new boat!

If you saw the AI's on a Thursday or Friday off Kihei it was probably us :) You could tell by the colored banner (2" ribbons) from near the top of the sails and sprayskirts on the front. I own two, and a friend I sail with each week with owns two, plus other friends on island own some. They are great here with our ever changing wind and waves. Let me know the next time your "on island" and we can go sailing.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know there's at least one guy out there. A friend was taking his sailboat to a boatyard in Almeda and snapped a couple of photos of a guy sailing a red AI. It was described to me as being in the Almeda estuary, if that means anything to you.

If you want to see the two photos, I could send them to you. Send a Personal Message with your email address and I'll point 'em your way.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great picture of the three boats, reconion!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob, Thanks, Nice photos. Never got close enough to see the details. So it may or may not have been you. They were a red boat and a yellow boat. I saw two boats on two different afternoons. I have no idea of the days - 41 days on the island they all ran to gether. ( I still have not seen my watch (Grin).
I was so impressed on how they handled the sporty conditions of the afternoon trades. I've been sailing most of my life and was convinced they were running for cover until I saw one heading out on what appeared to be a course to Molokini - these guys were having fun! My kind of boat.
So now I am wondering how do I get my boat there for next year's 6 week trip? Any suggestions? I will definately let you know next time I head your way. Most likely July '09, but who knows.
In the meantime, I will be learning my new boat in the 60 degree waters of Nor-CA.
Pat

reconlon wrote:
Congrats on your new boat!

If you saw the AI's on a Thursday or Friday off Kihei it was probably us :) You could tell by the colored banner (2" ribbons) from near the top of the sails and sprayskirts on the front. I own two, and a friend I sail with each week with owns two, plus other friends on island own some. They are great here with our ever changing wind and waves. Let me know the next time your "on island" and we can go sailing.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oops, I meant Alameda, not Almeda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Alameda estuary is where i bought my AI. Go ahead and shoot me the photos, patflykite at yahoo dot com.
Thanks,
Pat

Beel wrote:
I know there's at least one guy out there. A friend was taking his sailboat to a boatyard in Almeda and snapped a couple of photos of a guy sailing a red AI. It was described to me as being in the Almeda estuary, if that means anything to you.

If you want to see the two photos, I could send them to you. Send a Personal Message with your email address and I'll point 'em your way.

Bill