Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm wondering how practical it would be to car top an Adventure island on a compact rental car? I would only be driving the car about 4 miles to launch.

Looked around for temp racks, didn't see anything but seems you could put a big piece of foam on the car top, throw the disassembled AI on top, run some rope in a few places and safely car top - and also very important - not scratch or dent the top of the rental car..

FYI, I have a spot to stash a sailboat at Lake Havasu AZ but there just doesn't seem to be a good place to launch and beach a trailerable but non-motorized sailboat (if you have an outboard, lots of good options). The only good place Ive seen so far for non motorized is where where the Havamega is run but its a private beach.

The Adventure island looks like a great option for Lake Havasu - given that when I'm there, I usually have a compact rental car. There is a free beach to launch from - no trailers allowed, its maybe 50 foot from the parking lot to the water (Rotary Park). The AI looks like it would be a really fine option for this particular application.

Anyone car top an AI with some sort of temporary arrangement which wont get you in hot water with the car rental company?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

It will dent the roof. Uhaul instead?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has to be simple and inexpensive to work for me - ie, don't want to have to rent a larger vehicle or a trailer - I only want to rent the compact car.

I looked at some posts in this forum showing pictures of car topping and what I think might work is a rectangular shaped custom (ie, I make this) wood carrier made from 3/4 inch thick pine - with just the four sides - no top or bottom.
The bottom of the wood carrier would have a shape which fit at least my compact car at home. The top of the carrier would have cut outs which fit the hull and amas.

I would just "throw" the wood carrier on top of the car (say its something like a ford focus) with some heavy pads between the car top and the carrier. The contour of the carrier might not be perfectly matched to the roof since I usually dont know what kind of car I will get .. but close enough given the heavy pads and this should still have a fair amount of load distribution. If it fit real bad.. get out the saw and modify the carrier.

I would then load the AI on the wood carrier - which would be a perfect fit since it was made that way. Then just tie the whole thing down. I might hit 30 mph getting to the launch.

The wood carrier would not be pretty - but it would only see sunlight maybe 20 hours a year.. It would be stashed with the AI..

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know there are inflatable roof racks out there, at least for light kayaks. I'm not sure if there are heavy duty versions that can handle the weight of an AI hull. Maybe not, and I'm not sure if they also would dent the roof (might spread the weight better than foam). But if there would be and it would be save, it might be a solution. Then you should load the AI right side up, to prevent scratches caused by the crossbars and tie it through the interior of your car (also use bow and end lines).
To be honest, I don't think I would try it, unless I would be very sure that they (and the roof) could handle the load. Isn't it possible to rent a fitting roof rack as well?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

... return the car after dark.

I do like the wood frame idea if you rent the same model.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think you'll be able to "throw" the hull up. You'll need to be able to find a way to slide the hull onto the wooden cradles without scraping them along the roof.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What about just a big air bed between the boat and car roof. That would spread the weight very evenly on the car roof. If the boat is tied to the front and back of the car with some straps around thru the windows it might work up to 30mph. I have seen people move matresses on the top of the car only with the passengers holding on to it thru the window.

Good luck and be careful. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was laughing at the "picture" of driving down the road with the car passengers holding down a mattress from inside the car..

But heck, throw a mattress on the roof - then throw the AI on top of the mattress.. just hold everything down with your arm out the window, don't even need any ropes (Ok, maybe you need some rope). Someone would probably take a picture of this and it would end up on the internet. But maybe this idea could work..

I'm overall liking the idea of the AI more and more...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Still in process (not done yet) AI compact rental car roof rack (frankenrack as it might be called here). Fits on an older Ford Focus and newer Toyota Corolla - the pool noodles nicely distribute the weight. It still needs all the cutouts for the AI fusalage. Pole can slide in/out for loading.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I favour the suggestion of the air-mattress on top with a nice set of Hobie tie-down straps secured over the rig and through open doors both back and front. Those straps are long and quite soft and should not damage the car. When secure close the doors on the straps and off to the beach you go. You will definately need 2 persons to lift it on and off though....Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might be right about the mattress, dont know (Im probably not going to find out)

Seems like it will probably work fine. Keep in mind its a fairly unique aplication such as only one person getting it on the car and the car does not have any racks. Seems to work fine on the Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla without scratching anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like it, looking good. :D

The pull out bar to help loading is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless I am mistaken that looks like a far lighter yak as compared to a AI Walt. The AI can be a challenge to get up and down if not handled correctly every time....Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would think that it look like a disaster awaiting to happen. Looks pritty; but when you get the car going with load, GOOD LUCK :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a follow up on the "rental car rack".. Turns out I wont have the rental car application yet however I tried it with my compact Ford Focus - seemed to work "good enough". This is my commuter car and the AI and "rack" live about 100 miles away. So I can drive to the lake, throw on the "rack" and AI, go sailing. I used the rack last weekend, fairly easy to set up. I got the car up to 50 mph and everything was solid. Doesn't leave a mark on the car. Overall - Ill give it a very emphatic "I guess it's OK".