Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Person AI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUXWdh6la4

Looks sorta like a two place AI has been cobbled together. Cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't the Ketterman's work for Hobie?

It says in the blurb for that clip that it's a Hobie prototype.

Is this the first official leak?

Specs please - boat length, sail area, compatiblity with single seat AI bits... ie do I only have to buy a hull & bits from my AI will make up the difference?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

geocacher wrote:
Don't the Ketterman's work for Hobie?

I think it's more "with" than "for"....

Quote:
It says in the blurb for that clip that it's a Hobie prototype.

Is this the first official leak?

"Official"? Probably not. But that does look like a Hobie Diamond logo on the side of the proto.

Quote:
Specs please - boat length, sail area, compatiblity with single seat AI bits... ie do I only have to buy a hull & bits from my AI will make up the difference?

That may be a bit optimistic at this point (specs), since we (dealers) haven't seen specs for the Pro Angler due out in March.

The reality here... I think they put Amas and a mast step on an Oasis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never seen an Oasis in person, but it appears to me at about 1:30 in the video that the boat has more foredeck and an opening forward hatch that is not in the pictures I have of the Oasis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you're right... I don't have an Oasis sitting out either.

I could see the bungee at the bow, but thought it might just be deck bungee. It's hard to tell from the camera angle if the deck is longer or the same.

I was looking at the stern section at the end of the video, when I thought it was an Oasis. To me, it looked more Oasis than AI shaped. But on closer examination, I think I'm wrong.

I did notice a different cut to the foot of the sail. I thought the amas were the same as the AI, but now I think they're longer. And looking at the rails on the yak, I'm seeing even more things that are different.

My bad. :oops:

I am surprised that a prototype video would be public, considering how well they've kept the Pro Angler under wraps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Comments from Dan K now added to the video, and it looks like a whole new hull, not a derivative. Basically a stretched AI. He also talks about having a sloop rig.

I think for production, the regular rig is a better idea. Plus, it helps me feel special with my jib. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heck put me down for one! 8)

I was an early adoptor/owner of the Island days after they hit the dealer in Oct. 06. That has worked out realy well as Hobie's support is phenominal.

Some specs & more detailed pics would be nice.

I hope Hobie offers a "special introductory rate" like they did for the Island when it first launched. Cause I'm hoping this will be affordable priced.

I like the fact that the boat appears like it would fuction as a tandem kayak when not used as a tandem-Island.

Gonna be looking at this film frame by frame in the meantime. :wink:

Sloop version?? what is that? Hope in the final production the nose is designed to deflect water away better than the Island does.

Obama - where is my stimulus check :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Sloop version?? what is that?

That means with a mainsail and jib. Boats with just a main are called "cat rigged" and that is what the current AI is. A catboat. Not a catamaran, which would be two hulls.

A Hobie Wave without a jib is a cat rigged catamaran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
Quote:
Sloop version?? what is that?

That means with a mainsail and jib. Boats with just a main are called "cat rigged" and that is what the current AI is. A catboat. Not a catamaran, which would be two hulls.

A Hobie Wave without a jib is a cat rigged catamaran.

Well, how cool is that! 8) Thanks for the explanation.

I thought he might be talking about differing hull designs.

I added a jib sail to my Island but having the Island-tandem available with a correctly designed jib and mainsail is awesome!
As long as we can still roller-furl the main sail while using the jib.

I'll take the sloop version then! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
Hope in the final production the nose is designed to deflect water away better than the Island does.

No need with a tandem, Yak - you can just use the "Roadrunner" spray deflector - stick your wife / significant other in the front seat. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shade cloth costs a lot less than divorce lawyers! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Is Hobie going to sell a two person Adventure Island?
TriFoilerDanKetterma (6 hours ago) Reply Yes, as you can see, this prototype is very similar to the single. It is stretched and carries more Sail. I have seen a sloop

This looks like a very interesting development and is sure to increase the popularity of the AI. My wife likes Tandem Bikes and sitting pillion on a m/cycle - so she may even have a go :o :shock: :lol:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yakaholic wrote:
Hope in the final production the nose is designed to deflect water away better than the Island does.

No need with a tandem, Yak - you can just use the "Roadrunner" spray deflector - stick your wife / significant other in the front seat. :lol:

Ya, I read that in one of Roadrunner's tamdem reports. I guess his wife doesn't read the forums. :lol:

-----

The Island tandem appears to have a set of harkin blocks on both the fore and aft x-bar brace. Unless what I'm mistaking for cleats in the fore x-bar are more like guides. One would think rudder and line controls are all in the back to allow the tandem to sail 'solo'.

2 mirage drives and 'sloop' rigged make me hope this is faster than the Island, but just as stable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would guess those are fairleads forward and jam cleats aft, to allow controlling the boat solo from the aft sea. I say that because Dan talked about his wife "riding shotgun" which generally means hands free to shoot. ;)

The boat should be faster, for a couple of reasons. If it is indeed longer, the longer waterline length means a higher theoretical hull speed. That should make a bit of difference. A far larger difference is that the boat will probably have only a bit more hull drag than a single AI, but will have twice the horsepower with two Mirage Drives, at least when pedaling. The difference in sailing performance depends on more factors, basically how much more sail area they can add, and the efficiency of the sail(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow -this is exciting! At last we get to see what has been rumoured about since the AI's inception. 8)
Looking closely the front half appears very AI-ish and that seems to change more into an Outback shape with higher and wider gunwales and flatter decks. There is an 8" hatch where the mast is now on the Oasis. The ama look longer and the aka seem to have a longer vertical end section. What surprised me was the forward position of the sail and the aka/ama. The bow deck appears more swept up just in front of the mast. A spray deflector possibly??
Bring it on Hobie!! :wink: