Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a used AI
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found a great deal on two AI's. I am planning on looking at them tomorrow. They both look like they being kept in the water (Salt) and they say one has never been used ?. I am familar with boat .Is there anything I should be concerned about and keep my eyes open for ? I did sail a used one the other day and I noticed the sail would not unferril completely. You could get to go all the way out by helping it a bit.

Thanks
Roderick

Post subject: Re: Buying a used AI
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

roderick wrote:
I found a great deal on two AI's. I am planning on looking at them tomorrow. They both look like they being kept in the water (Salt) and they say one has never been used ?. I am familar with boat .Is there anything I should be concerned about and keep my eyes open for ? I did sail a used one the other day and I noticed the sail would not unferril completely. You could get to go all the way out by helping it a bit.

Thanks
Roderick

I think its normal to sometimes have to give the sheet a tug to get the last bit to unfurl.

Do you mean the AI's have been moored on the water for some time?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Skymax,
Thanks for that bit of info on the sail. I didn't notice that on the first one I tried. As far as I can tell their both in the water moored. Can't help but think that isn't going to help. I'll find out tomorrow when I go check them out.

If they are in good shape I plan to bring my surfboard and take it out about 3.5 miles to a near by surf spot. The wind has picked up a bit last few days so it might be fun.

What would you say is the average time/ distance for paddling?

If you look them up on google earth 32o 42'39.95N 117o 14'11.4W you can see a mango and red one on the end of the pier

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Lots of things. Is the boat complete? Should include Mirage Drive, daggerboard, seat, paddle, etc. Look carefully at the Hobie site to see all that's included. Other accessories (wheels esp) with the price?

Everything should be operated. Unfurl / furl sail, rudder up / down, look inside all hatches (water), check aluminum parts for corrosion, condition of bungees, pouches (easily replaced). Try to inspect underside if possible for obvious dents, heavy skid marks.

You may have trouble getting things apart. Better have some WD-40 if you're planning on disassembling.

Check serial #'s or purchase receipt to verify ownership and model year (last 2 digits of #). Unfortunately SERNO is on bottom near stern. First ones were '07; nice upgrades in '08 if you have a choice.

A neighbor bought one used recently from a dealer. It had a big chunk missing out of the furling spool -- he didn't notice. Look everything over carefully. Good luck. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner,
Thanks,
Thanks for all that info
One big concern is having the hull setting out in the sun and water. I think it might make it brittle.

I am all so looking at two other ones today at nomad ventures in Escondido, if your around let's meet up.

760 943 9200

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well it's been an interesting day. Spent the first part at a dealer in Escondido that called Matt at hobie to ask about the issue with leaving the AI in the water. Funny didn't I ask that same question on the forum?
Next was the trip down to the private dock in San Diego see two of the saddest examples of neglect I've scene so far. Really nice and a beutifull place. When I told him I wasn't interested he lowered the price but I walked away. Lastly I ended up back at the dealer in mission bay who had 2 new used AI to look at. Now I just have to figuire out which one to buy.

Roderick

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How long were the boats in the sun? I'd be leery if they were in the water year round in your climate for several seasons.

Hobie voids guarantee of plastic hulls if they're out in the sun all the time.

Here in NW Wyoming, our dealer keeps a boat on display on the grass outside his shop to attract business and use as a rental. Just before he closes down in the Fall, the display boat is sold at a deep discount.

From what I've seen, the Hobie "yellow" is still vibrant and aging of the hulls is insignificant (after 6 months). Hobie's attention to being superlative is evident. A summer in high altitude Wyoming sun didn't do much.

If I was you, I'd get the Hobie guarantee saying the boats shouldn't be kept in the sun all the time. I'd hem and haw and make a low ball offer, strike a deal, and sail happily with plenty of money for drinks at the end of the day!

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles