Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DogsLife wrote:
The holes on Sizzors are not for buoyancy while sailing. They are for righting the boat is it capsizes. Last year SOS used a similar design on his Ultimate Florida Tri. When the boat flips the ama floods loosing buoyancy and preventing a full turtle...
Dammit! I was fully prepared to swallow a sketchy story about that exhaust port "turbocharging" the waterflow, improving planing, providing "lift" and allowing him to sail faster than the wind,..

What a Buzzkill,.. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Truly great picts Keith. I understand sizzor is designed to fold its Akas? Similar to the AI?

I don't know, NOHUHU, but they didn't give me that feeling when I was looking at the boat. It looks more like, untie things and take it apart.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can see how the Aka ends are hinged together, but beyond that, I can't tell. Supposed to be part of the reason he calls it "sizzor".

Thanks for the picts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU--here is the hardware on the center hull. Doesn't look like much is going to fold.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you look at the original Sizzor in the 2011 EC, the support structure for the akas was different. When Randy flipped last year he probably figured out that it was too hard to fold his circus act. That was the same year SOS had the flooding akas so he re-designed the boat. This boat was also originally designed to run the NCC where you would have to reduce beam for the Harlowe Canal. Since the new EC check point is much easier, Randy went with a more permanent platform.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It actually makes sense to me now. The converging Akas pivot on a single center post in the hull. Rotate one side forward and one side back and they will close just like a pair of scissors.

Cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13