Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

another possible way that we could alleviate the problem would be to use a jib or a spinnaker set up. I think the AI submarines in tailwinds because the mainsail is pushing forwards and down. If you used a Jib/spinnaker that attached to the bow it would work to lift the bow. But yeh a nose fitted wave deflector would still be an easier solution.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

skymax wrote:
bEEN AWAY FOR A WEEK SO JUST READ THIS tHREAD, (bloody caps lock).

No design can be all things to all people, the "Diving" which could equally be called "Penetrating" is not a problem as the hull always scoops out even when I have been hit by tailwind mega-gusts.

If you expect to never have water over the bow or spray in your face you should not be Kayaking or Sailing.

Thought i already posted this but, when you have the nose submerging up to the mast in 15-20 knot winds with no luggage and the sail half reefed i would say there is a problem. I love getting wet, but just not wave slapped in the face(caused by waves hitting the crossbar and rebounding up).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter,

I love that Aussie accent with your connotations. Unfortunately for me, some of it I don't get. What did you mean by the following?
Quote:
Sorry if you thought I was hav'n a go mate.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
Slaughter,

I love that Aussie accent with your connotations. Unfortunately for me, some of it I don't get. What did you mean by the following?
Quote:
Sorry if you thought I was hav'n a go mate.

Keith

hahaha classic!

he means that he wasn't trying to insult you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great, Dave. No problem, Slaughter!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject: Question for Chekika...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the first page of this thread, you mentioned that 'Matcoburn had installed a wave deflector on his AI'. Any idea where he got the deflector? I have been searching the Net for the last few weeks and only found Australian manufacturers. Finn Kayak got back to me and seemed almost shocked that I had to contact an Australian manufacturer. They are looking into what it would cost to ship me a unit . And the price differential when a US provider sells an Australian unit is nearly double ($20-100AUS? versus $170+US). I have bought other kayak items from Australia, and the price did not double because it had to be shipped to the US.
I am not adverse in doing a little shop work to get one to fit my AI.
Thanks to anyone, who knows of a deflector provider in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe Matcoburn simply said he found it laying around in some shop.

I get the feeling that Hobie may "spring" into action on this--maybe before you dig out of the snow!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:23 am 
Site Admin

I don't know about... before the snow melts. This will take some time in engineering and testing. May be a bit longer before we can come up with something good.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is good news. I really think a well-designed add-on wave deflector would greatly reduce bow diving.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess some people have water conditions that cause this more frequently than others, however it is not less than what I would expect from a low-riding straight hull, especially if sailed in close swells and strong winds.

It's a Kayak that can also be a light Sailboat, all compromises must have a cost in one area or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:D Many seem to interpret this thread as recommending a new hull for the AI. That's incorrect. While Chekika's original post illustrated and explained characteristics of different types of hulls, it eventually took you to the point of his post...the OC1 racing kayak that originally had a diving problem until a single upturned outrigger was added. This is was what he was recommending.

But for a quick, easy, cheap fix, I think Stringy wins the prize for his removable bow plane suggestion. Way to go Stringy. :wink:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Polecat, iIf you want Hobie to listen cut out the obnoxious red posts. It read like you are yelling at Matt and Hobie. People respond much better when you show them respect. Hobie is a business and makes decisions on what is best for them. I am not saying that your interest and needs aren't important. They cannot please everything.
THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR DISRESPECT AND THREATS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

skymax wrote:
It's a Kayak that can also be a light Sailboat, all compromises must have a cost in one area or the other.

Absolutely.....and it looks like, as Polecat pointed out, Stringy found an inexpensive fix and that Matt will pass it along to his engineers/design team. Well done Keith for initiating this thread and special thanks to Matt for listening, I can imagine, many times, his job is a bit like being caught between a rock and a hard place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just thinking my next investment might be a spray skirt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've dunked the front half of my AI, and thought it was pretty funny! I went creek sailing last Saturday, and the bow was trying to go under without the help of any waves. Again, funny to me! Video below.

As for the speed thing, through is fast and wet, over is slow, hence the surface piercing design of ocean racing boats, monohull and multihull.

Keep that slow drag creator off my boat, thank you very much!

BTW, I worked at a Hobie dealership and harassed poor Matt at his real job, and he excels at that as well as providing excellent info on this forum. Clueless sales guys like me who can't operate a parts catalog call and he helps!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66NcjTQboDI[/youtube]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next