Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI or TI?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am coming from an Outback and just cant hold back on purchasing one of these fine sailing machines. I've been havinig too much fun with the sail!

Ideally I would like to take my wife & son out (combined weight 140lbs). But only on occassions... I'd be solo 90% of the time.

I have the means to purchase either one.

Would the TI be too overwhelming or do I just go for it? I've been reading here that the difference between the two (assuming I trailer it) really isnt all that much different. Then again- I see so many happy folks with their AI...

What to do!

Post subject: Re: AI or TI?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is easy.

-Up to 10% of the time you want to take someone else.
-You have a trailer
-Money isn't going to hold you back

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW TANDEM ISLAND! :D

I've had an AI, and you're right, it is a great boat that most everyone is completely happy with. The toughest thing about the TI is that it's a bit more of a beast when it's out of the water.

The TI can be sailed solo or with a friend, and both boats are very simple to sail. If you really want to car top, or don't see yourself taking anyone else out, the AI is great. But given what you just said, I think the TI is the boat for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought an AI, then turned right around and bought a TI. I hardly bother using the AI any more.

If you are going to trailer the boat, and don't need to lug it to the water by human power, then the TI is no more trouble than the AI is to launch.

Operated solo the only drawback I've found is that on very windy days the bow tends to get pushed around when not under sail power. I solved that by making sure to deploy the centerboard even when not sailing, and putting my gear in the forward seat instead of behind me in the tankwell.

If I could only have one, it'd be the TI. I assume you'll be keeping your Outback? If so, then you'll still have a smaller, lighter boat for those conditions that require it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:P I sailed an AI for several years...quite a few people wanted to go out with me. The tramps just didn't suit some people. I bought a TI and a trailer for it.
The AI tended to sit in storage...while I used the TI continuously. I found that the TI could do everything that the AI could do but better. I ended up selling the AI to a friend who also ended up getting a TI. His son uses the AI while he and his wife and smaller daughter accompany him on the TI.
If you can afford it and have the room to keep the TI on a trailer...go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No brainer! A TI does everything an AI does, and you can share the fun, plus you have a much more practical platform if you want to take on expedition-type trips (like overnighters etc) due to its increased carrying capacity and space.

I love launching and retrieving mine with the trailer, and especially the questions I get from intrigued onlookers while hosing it down afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You have no choice! The TI is so far ahead in every aspect from sailing solo to carrying the family. I could not recommend a more fun product that is an absolute must have!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am also another TI convert. I had an AI for about two years then bought the TI to do as you suggest, take the family out. I built a trailer to make it easy to launch by myself and I sail it solo most of the time except for taking friends or family for joyrides and the occasional serious distance day trip up the coast with my son.

As said above, the only drawback is the extra size and weight if you plan to drag it across a beach by yourself, it is a lot of effort. But if you plan to launch from a trailer, it is dead easy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There must be at least 1 vote for the AI!

I have no experience of the TI. So with that said, here are the reasons why I chosed the AI.

I will be alone 100% of the time.
I will be car topping the AI.
The most important reason, there will be no sand beaches in 70% of the occasions when I camp. In the archipelag of Stockholm and also the rest of Sweden there are mostly stone and cliffs when you land the kayak. So the TI will be to heavy for me to handle.

br thomas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make that 2 Thomas for the AI. The tandem makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

I don't care which you buy, but just be aware that the TI is a much larger boat. Contrary to Tom Kirkman, Paul Kral (aka Dogslife) has both and says he rarely uses his tandem. Paul does a lot of solo camping. To lug a TI around on beaches is truly a pain.

My wife got tired of watching me arrive in camp relatively rested (she was kayaking) that she bought her own. She says she is going to upgrade to a 2013 this year.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had an AI before the TI existed & loved it.
I also loved the idea of the TI & thought it would be a fantastic alternative to the solo AI.
However i was not prepared to part with my AI too quickly so have ended up with both.
To date, i use the AI a lot more than the TI & kind of regard it as my sports car.
It is much easier to manage & does everything i need as a solo sailor - including provide adequate storage for camping trips.
I should add that all my camping mates have AIs & i only made the mistake of taking the TI out solo on a camping trip once. I say that because i was unable to keep up with them due to the additional weight and physical effort involved in pedalling the TI solo compared to the AI.
Having said that, i am finally considering using my TI a lot more but it will depend on whether my plans are successful. I am going to try taking my standard poodle and fox terrier along on the tramps. If that works i expect my wife will be mildly interested in joining us.
I also intend towing it behind my trailerable houseboat. I have previously towed the AI all over our lakes without any problems. I should perhaps point out that my top speed is approx 4 kts in the houseboat.
If i had to choose just one, i would probably choose the TI due to the fact it can be used solo or tandem when the opportunity arises. I would definitely choose the TI if i had an enthusiastic partner.
Just my thoughts on the subject.....

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I appreciate everyone's response. Looks like I cant go wrong with either! Tough one

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
the reasons why I chosed the AI.

I will be alone 100% of the time.
I will be car topping the AI.
The most important reason, there will be no sand beaches in 70% of the occasions when I camp. In the archipelag of Stockholm and also the rest of Sweden there are mostly stone and cliffs when you land the kayak. So the TI will be to heavy for me to handle.

br thomas

Hey Thomas,
don't take our preference for the TI as anything against the AI.
I loved the AI and wanted to keep both, but due to limited space, I have to choose only one boat.

I also have to agree with you on all your reasons for the AI:

Car topping the TI is not imposible but is prety hard work due to the size and length.
Carrying an AI down a rocky beach would be hard alone.
Carrying a TI alone would be next to imposible unless you are really huge strong man.

The TI is definitely better in open sea and rough windy conditions, which is most of the time where I live.
I also have access to take my trailer down onto the beach with a 4x4 so launching is easy.
If I could not get close to the water then the TI would not be practical.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even with a trailer, it's always better to have 2 (capable) people while launching and recovering the TI. So if this fits your plans go get a DEMO!

I would measure the driveway/yard/garage first. It's a big craft. Don't bite off more than you can store. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Even with a trailer, it's always better to have 2 (capable) people while launching and recovering the TI. So if this fits your plans go get a DEMO!

I would measure the driveway/yard/garage first. It's a big craft. Don't bite off more than you can store. :wink:

Agree with both of these points.
I did forget to mention that with the TI there is a far greater chance that you will need a hernia operation or two if you are not very careful. :( :cry: :o

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know of 1, (seriously). Does yours make "2" mickey? :lol: