Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for asking.

Who knows. Sometimes it's just that easy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes - thanks.

If they shape one for the RED AI, you can count me in. Probably a dozen other folks out here too. Around US $100 w/ shipping would be attractive.

It's a long way to go for a non-hobie version though, being that you need to cut, heat and tweak it JUST right to adapt one.

Don't forget to make one in yellow, for the ladies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ants wrote:
Hey Gringo I got my first taste of big boat wake yesterday otherwise the river was calm. It wad fun to watch the paddling kayakers ride the wake.

Finn quoted $AU 100 each. Which is basically $US 100, though the lady I spoke too said they would discount depending on the number ordered. And I'm guessing no more than $20-30 for shipping.
I also asked if her if they would consider making one especially for the AI (is the TI different?). She said she would ask the guy who's in charge and get back to me. No harm in asking eh...

Hi Chaosdave, It would definitely be good catchup and go sailing oneday soon!

If they agree to make some AI moulded ones I'll buy one for sure. Normally sail from Claremont yacht club but am currently working on a new trailer so we can go out in the ocean more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know of at least 4 AIers in my area who would be interested.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are the AI and TI bows shaped differently? Would one design fit both?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great question.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Well it's a negative on them making a new mold for the AI. But if anyone wants one of these to modify for their yak I will help them get one. And they did offer a discount for a multiple purchase, but stopped shy of saying the actual discount untill I gave them a number.

Hi ChaosDave, yes I'm trying to decide what route to go with a trailer too. Still car topping on and old mattress down to the river :twisted: in Maylands (where I live) and East Perth So I can't wait to get a bit further down river into the bay and with a bit more experience, out to the ocean!
As soon as I get my trailer I will let you know so hopefully I can come down for a sail!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, we were out on the Caicos Bank for over four hours in the new TI yesterday. Wind was NE at about 16-18 with gusts to 24 knots. We were sailing downwind with the sail reefed until just about a third of the big batten was wrapped on the mast. We were in about 3 ft. of steep, short chop.

The nose had been buried in a wave momentarily several times, no big deal. Then we caught a set of increasing height waves just right or something, but the nose buried itself. And I do mean buried. It was at least six inches under water and showing no signs of resurfacing when La Gringa shouted at me about it. She was concerned, since the water was now around her waist. It felt like the nose of the boat was trying to stop while the rest of it was rising up behind us. Of course these things always feel scarier than they probably really are. I loosed the sheet and depowered the boat and it came back up, but for a few very long seconds there it was a little bit worrisome.

Do these things pitchpole?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo wrote:
Then we caught a set of increasing height waves just right or something, but the nose buried itself. And I do mean buried. It was at least six inches under water and showing no signs of resurfacing when La Gringa shouted at me about it. She was concerned, since the water was now around her waist. It felt like the nose of the boat was trying to stop while the rest of it was rising up behind us.
The first time scared me as well, but it always comes back up. It won't do that as much with a sprayskirt on the front, but doesn't help much with cutting the tops of of waves off.

Always interesting when the waters up to your armpits and all that you can see of your boat is it's mast & sail! :o

We came close to pitchpole-ing AI's once, but it took 9' steep faced wind waves (on a day forecasted for only 4' wind waves). Stood one AI on it's nose for a long few seconds, but it recovered. It then was time to go home! :roll:

Haven't had that experience yet in a TI.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,
I just returned from the local landscaping supply company. I was hoping to find some shade cloth, or even weed cloth, to trace your skirt design on, but they didn't have anything close that they could open a package and sell me a couple yards of. And I don't want 600 ft. of it. And what they have is more this shiny stuff that gets stapled to posts around construction sites as a cheap fence/dust barrier. I note people cut slashes in that stuff to let the wind through. I didn't think it was good for the job.

In your experimentation, did you try making skirts from standard fiberglass window screen? I have a huge roll of the stuff for the odd repair when someone drinks rum on the patio and then walks through one of the sliders without opening the screen. What do you think of that stuff as a material if I used your pattern? I have a machine and can sew.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can always give it a try. Dog screening may work better than the standard type screen. The pattern on my website http://www.KayakingBob.com is for an AI, but just shorten it at the front a couple of inches and adjust the taper to the new front an inch narrower should do it.

We first tried waterproof cloth, which caught too much wind and we had to quickly add holes to drain the puddles it held. Shade cloth was our second attempt, and is perfect. Air and water go strait through it with little resistance, but 95% of water is blocked and reflected when coming at it on angle, which just about all of our waves and splash do.

If the screen doesn't work, my wife Dee (quilt designer) does make some. She's shipped them to many other countries. It just fits in a Priority Mail envelope, if your post is reliable. http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt-purchase

Good luck, post the results. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the info. I would much prefer to just be able to purchase some already made, but it's not so simple from here. Postal service is out. IF it were just a letter, not a package, I would give it a 50% chance of getting here eventually. Say, within six months.

So my options are basically Fed Ex, UPS or have someone coming down to visit carry it with them from the USA.

FedEx cost for a package would be about $ 80-100 (an envelope is $ 55), plus their clearance and handling fee of $ 25.

And I would have to pay a 40% duty on it. So add the cost of the skirts, plus the Fed Ex shipping and clearance charges, plus the duty, and I am looking at something inching up towards $ 300 by the time I gets me grubby little hands on them.

My father in law is coming down in a couple weeks, though. If you could ship them to him in time he could bring them down if I don't figure out something local that works in the meantime. How much lead time do you need for a set of black ones for a TI?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ouch! It does adds up quick!

She can have one ready to go tomorrow in Black or Beige. She usually keeps a couple of each (AI and TI) in black 'in stock'. We currently are having trouble getting the Gray material (my favorite). Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware all dropped the Gray color recently. :(

Shipping to the mainland is usually 3-5 days and is included in her price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That just makes more sense. I'll order a set for the TI in black, and will probably just have you mail them to my family in Texas. We're going back to the big country far to the north in April and I can pick them up then.

I'm going to need to source a bunch of bungy cord and some way to fasten it together too, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll need whatever you choose to mount it with. The TI is pretty easy, not requiring extra Hobie hardware, but depends on your choices. I use light 50# working load line, wire-ties, and a small anchor-shackle for the bow mount (no bungees). If you fold in the ama while on the water a lot, you might want to add some way of quick release at the hull like cleats.

My wife Dee sends an email response to acknowledge the order with links to many forum posts showing how others have mounted theirs. And I'm available by email or here, to answer any questions also.

Like most things, after the first one, it's quite simple. :) I've done about a dozen of them, and it it now takes me about an hour or so, while gabbing the whole time.

Here's one of the better documented installs, but does use bungee. http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26262& This setup with light line instead may be perfect for you. Watch the hog-rings though, as their about the only thing that can regularly damage the shadecloth material. On the original AI design, they held the bungees on the aka SS pins, and can catch on shadecloth material and rip it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next