Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you use Hobie Dodger?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got back from S. Florida trip. Brought my factory tramps, Hobie Dodger, and home-made spray shield along. I found that using the dodger was like using a belt with suspenders
when I had the spray shield on. Trying to slide my legs under the dodger was not usually worth it. I finally ended up just using my spray shield and wet suit.
I hope that Hobie will sell a spray shield. My shield works okay, but I found that the Hobie
tramps work better and were much better constructed than my home-made tramps. So
I would expect a similar well-built product if Hobie would build a shield.
If Hobie had both dodgers and spray shields available...I would definitely recommend a shield before spending the money on a dodger.

Anyone else with a dodger have an opinion on its worth?

So, Matt, I know that Hobie really reponds to customers...any plans on a Hobie Spray Shield?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For sailors who sew or have someone who will sew for them, I have posted the plans for my spray skirt design on my website at: http://www.kayakingbob.com/sprayskirt

Until Hobie decides to produce their own spray skirts (or shields), my wife will make a few at a time upon request, at a reasonable price. (email me to discuss)

I also, will attempt shortly, to make some strong 1/2 tramps, and will post my results.

Last edited by KayakingBob on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had a dodger for over a year--I mounted it but have never used it even though I just completed a trip w/ a few very cold days (for S FL). It just seems too cumbersome.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:03 pm 
I live in Marquette, Michigan and sail on lake Superior. Its generally cold up here and I think that the dodgers would be a good investment. That said I would like some spray shields as well. Hobie seems to have very versitile boats and having the right accessories like these makes these bots a wise choice. If not for dodgers I would have bought a sit inside kayak. Im anxiously awaiting my 1st Hobie boat... A neat new tandem trimarran...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Talking through my hat here as I have neither, but..

A Dodger sounds good but will it stop the spray that arrives at face height?

Mebbe better to have the Shields and almost no spray to begin with?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:26 pm 
On nice days I would prefer the spray, but more times than not it is cold here, and even when there is no spray it's nice to have something to stop the chilly wind. I want to extend my sailing season as long as I can and the dodger's and spray skirts will both help. If I lived in a warmer part of the world it would not be an issue. Hypothermia is no fun... As for spray at face height , well, you can wear a hood and goggles I suppose. If you need to be totally protected I suppose you ought to just stay and watch from a car with the heater on. If Hobie Makes spray shields available I will buy them, but if not I will have some made up. Sailing is more fun when you can be warm, That being said, I love to sail in higher winds and larger waves. Im hoping I can surf a wave or two with this new TIA. I did it with a Wind Rider 10 and it was quite a thrill. Maybe I can do it with a passenger this time.
Max Houston

Post subject: Dodger...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my dodger when I bought my AI. It did keep my legs drier...but didn't help cold
spray on my face. I have a thin wet suit hood, but my face still got cold and chapped.
I sewed together two different spray shields, the second was a close copy to one of the
Australian shields displayed on the Forum. It has worked so well that I removed the dodger.
I can always wear a more protective suit, if water comes over the bow and shield.
But I don't like to have to wear a face mask. The shield stops almost all of the spray making it
over the bow (unless the waves are really high and choppy).

I don't think I will be buying a dodger for my new TI, even if it becomes available. If I have to, I will sew up a new shield. But after carefully measuring the factory rep's TI at the Boat Show,
I think the shield from the AI will fit the new TI. The bow to forward cross-bar distance is
relatively the same for both hulls, and the forward widths are not too different, either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the camo Hobie Dodger mounted on my Outback. I live in Michigan and I use it to sneak up on ducks so I can blast them with my 12 guage shot gun. I know it sounds redneck but it really works great. I even saw a picture featuring the Hobie Outback with Camo and guilly? rig for complete sneak attacks in a waterfowler magazine. Even though I havent tried sailing with it yet, I know I get some spray just mirage/paddling through choppy water. It does keep me slightly warmer but I still get a little wet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gurkman wrote:
I have the camo Hobie Dodger mounted on my Outback. I live in Michigan and I use it to sneak up on ducks so I can blast them with my 12 guage shot gun. I know it sounds redneck but it really works great. I even saw a picture featuring the Hobie Outback with Camo and guilly? rig for complete sneak attacks in a waterfowler magazine. Even though I havent tried sailing with it yet, I know I get some spray just mirage/paddling through choppy water. It does keep me slightly warmer but I still get a little wet.

Mate, that's all good until they figure you out and fight back.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cV4FCwtTEo&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My understanding is that the dodger has three uses to reduce spray, wind and sun. The spray shield would only cover the spray aspect.

Personally I dont use either, I expect a wet ride and dress accordingly, preferring the simplicity and freedom of movement this affords.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie really needs to make a wave deflector...

see

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20395

and

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=19888