Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool reviews.

On the subject of AKA angles/height, have any TI/AI owners measured this? Or lined up the two AKAs?

In most of the sailing videos I have seen, the TI's windward AMA looks noticeably higher, relative to the water line. Even when the leeward one is barely in the water. With that a big sail, some extra AMA clearance would make sense.

But is it the case?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been looking, and I can't find an amswer to why Hobie doesn't sell this as a stand alone kayak.

Can anyone shed some light on that issue for me?

Thank you. And I'm sorry if it has been answered before and I couldn't find it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My understanding is the AI was an "afterthought" and a sailing kayak was created from the Adventure design. The Tandem Island was created from scratch to be a sailboat. I doubt they'll ever sell it without the full setup.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I bought a revolution and an Oasis back in 07/08 and used the heck out of them, enjoying every weekend year round (we live in Florida). Most of the time my wife would be in the Revo and me solo in the Oasis. She would often circle around me taunting me to keep up (anyone with a revo knows how nimble they are).
We bought a TI in spring 2010 but never used it in Kayak only mode until this spring where we went up the small Manatee river (near Tampa FL). I just have to say I was extremely impressed how stable and responsive the TI kayak is. Now I am finally faster than my wife on her Revo, and even tried to run circles around her taunting her to keep up (didn't work, river was too narrow, managed to scare a few turtles though). The TI also seems to run shallower than the Oasis.
Who knew... I bought a great sailboat that turns out to be a pretty good Kayak as well (pleasantly suprised)
Bob

We have always car topped our boats (we travel alot with a camper) and I am amazed that at least for me it's easier to load and unload the TI on the roof than the Oasis by myself. It's only a little longer and a little heavier (not enough to notice). It's easier because of the carry handles, you have something to grab onto when lifting, at least on our older Oasis there was nothing to grab onto making it very difficult and awkward to load by yourself.

One of our favorite kayak things is running rapids in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Michigan (not huge rapids). I can't wait to try the TI at that (maybe next summer). We are thinking about going up the Santa Fe river kayaking one of these weekends. On the Santa Fe there tons of crystal clear springs to swim in, it's a really fun place to Kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is good to know. We live in Florida and ordered the Tandem Island because we were hoping to explore the islands in the Indian River. My wife and I have enjoyed renting canoes and exploring some of the narrow creeks full of low brush and now feel good that we can still do that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are tandem people, used to have singles but it's a lot more work getting two complete boats down off the car and setup, (always by me by myself). Also there is a huge difference in my wifes and my abilities, with singles I typically had to tow her kayak five to ten mile back to launch, because she was exhausted. Especially with the TI it makes little difference solo vs dual people riding in the kayak (speedwise and endurance wise). Of course she peddles a little once in a while, but 80% of the propulsion is me, (I don't mind at all, I enjoy the company).
Since that last post in 2011, you can't possibly imagine all the stuff we have done with the TI's. We have a couple hundred thousand road miles with the hobies on the roof and camper in tow. All the stuff I talked about above we have done, many rivers, lakes, and even quite a few class 2 rapids all over the entire country.
Your gonna have a lot of fun.
FE