Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bob, excellent videos and post! Here are a couple of things that may help. I agree that the steering is a little slower to respond and is harder to manipulate. Some of this must have to do with the extra friction of dual controls. I didn't notice it nearly as much on the test boat with the rudder knob -- it adds a lot of leverage to the rudder control. I'm not sure why it isn't standard equipment.

As set up, the TI has the same sheeting leverage as the AI. With a 50% larger sail in those winds you were sailing in, hauling in the sail is definitely a two-hander! You have the option though of improving the sheeting leverage, but the penalty is slower sheeting and single cockpit control only. I didn't try it in this mode, but it shouldn't take much time to convert if you're planning to go solo in high winds.

Sorry you didn't get a chance yet to try out the rear cockpit solo under similar conditions. I think you'll find it to be drier and it should improve the handling of the boat as well with much less of a spin out problem -- rudder stays in the water more; fins aft add lateral stability; weight aft gives better rudder response IMO (although it can still be twitchy st speed). I felt the boat was quite nose-heavy soloing from the front seat. It'll be interesting to get your comparison from the back seat solo! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the knob on the steering.

Can you tell me more. What kind of knob is that? Did you take handle off and drill a hole and put handle on? Looks simple enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rudder handle has a brass fitting already molded in, but so far, no accessories for the TI have been shipped that I've heard of.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

Just looked at those videos--very good! Looked like a pretty wild ride to me. Well done.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
The rudder handle has a brass fitting already molded in, but so far, no accessories for the TI have been shipped that I've heard of.

Thanks for the important info. Has no impact since my purchasing plans are delayed but hope Hobie doesn't take too much time to field the prototype handle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob for the collar latch mod pics. I'm interested to see how it goes.
I'll do the same to mine this week.

Matt,
Do you think the nylon locking buttons will hold in all weather once the mod is done?
Just wondering if this needs a more positive locking method especially in heavy weather?
How about a pin that goes through both crossbar and aka?
We have a tube pin at work that has a circular retaining clip that grabs the bar.
Or this from the Hobie sailing catalogue-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, that looks like another brilliant idea! Keep in mind that the akas will twist a little bit, especially when the amas are retracted, so perhaps a little larger hole (or slot) in the aka inserts would allow enough freedom of movement to prevent crimping or binding of the pins. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Roadrunner. A larger hole in the aka insert makes sense. I'll wait a bit before doing this and see how the modified nylon buttons work but I'm a bit sceptical that long term the buttons will be reliable, especially in heavier conditions.
I'm looking forward to more results being posted. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just wondering how the modified latch fix has been going?
Anything to report Bob?
I did the mod but haven't had it out in strong winds yet.

I was surprised at how little material there is on the ledge that grabs the collar. I know the solution has been to increase the collar thickness but I wonder why the ledge depth hasn't been increased?

There is enough room when squeezed to double the ledge depth on the latch. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Just wondering how the modified latch fix has been going?
Anything to report Bob?
I did the mod but haven't had it out in strong winds yet.

I haven't received anything yet from my dealer or Hobie (Not unusual for Hawaii).

I have been out a few more times as a 2-man but in easy conditions with no issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob.
I haven't received anything from my dealer either. Not sure when the upgrades will make it downunder. :roll:
I was wondering whether the latch fix mod, as opposed to the collar mod, worked?
Still early days. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spoke to my local dealer and he was unaware of the issue. Admittedly, we have none in the water in Melbourne :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
Thanks Bob.
I haven't received anything from my dealer either. Not sure when the upgrades will make it downunder. :roll:
I was wondering whether the latch fix mod, as opposed to the collar mod, worked?
Still early days. :)

I did both of the upgrades - new collars and modified the latch (also had to modify the replacement collars as they were moulded incorrectly). I don't think the aka's will be coming out any more....

'06 Hobie Getaway
'95 OK Scrambler (5)
'10 Walker Bay 310/Tohatsu 9.8
'07 Yam VX110 (2)
'08 Carolina 2590/Yam 115 (aquaculture)
'08 Judge 22/Honda 150
'05 World Cat DC250/Honda 150s
'08 Island Packet SP Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

after my TI was in the shop for a week or so getting the rudder fixed they claimed to have fixed the aka things as well with either the parts or the diy I am not sure. I had it out 3 times since the fix and the first time was perfect the aka behaved as it should but one time in about 10+ mph wind the rear left aka started to come out again, and again. monday there was not that much wind and it behaved again. what is the deal with this thing? how come it won't just stay in like it should in moderate+ winds? am i doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, would the TI parts: #79525001 BALL / BRACE plus the #8030212 SCREW by any chance be suitable for screwing into the rudder control? Then one could adapt the #88523101 AKA BRACE ASSY to create a tiller extension....

(Part numbers as illustrated at http://static.hobiecat.com/web_uploads/2010/06/08/TI_Parts_.pdf)

Roadrunner wrote:
... I agree that the steering is a little slower to respond and is harder to manipulate. Some of this must have to do with the extra friction of dual controls. I didn't notice it nearly as much on the test boat with the rudder knob -- it adds a lot of leverage to the rudder control. I'm not sure why it isn't standard equipment.