Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith,

Thanks for the picture, that clears things up quite a bit. I think NG Topo makes a lot of sense. Be sure to ask them for a commission from my sale!

Thanks for suggesting walking around with the GPS. I've been using the feature on the 76 that just shows the route on the map, then just staying close to the line when in the TI while watching the local conditions on the water. I will try "navigating" a route around the block to see if that's something I could use (and a GOTO as soon as I figure out where that is).

I'm tired of just going back and forth in the bay! It's getting to be time to actually go somewhere. I have a course plotted to launch on the north side of the Rickenbacker causeway and head to a canal on the East side of Virginia key - to go visit Jimbo's Place. It's about 4.5 miles each way - I just need to convince the crew to go for it.

I figure going there and back should give me an idea of how the 9 miles between Biscayne National Park and Elliot Key will feel...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, just sailing around doesn't cut it for me. I like to go some place, have a destination, even if it is there and back.

Brady said,
Quote:
I'm tired of just going back and forth in the bay! It's getting to be time to actually go somewhere. I have a course plotted to launch on the north side of the Rickenbacker causeway and head to a canal on the East side of Virginia key - to go visit Jimbo's Place. It's about 4.5 miles each way - I just need to convince the crew to go for it.

I figure going there and back should give me an idea of how the 9 miles between Biscayne National Park and Elliot Key will feel...

"9-mi" is a piece of cake. That "9-mi" is not the same as the 9-mi crossing to Elliot Key, but it is still a good start. Elliot Key is a zoo, especially on week ends--still, some people like zoos. Unlike most zoos, people are the inmates at Elliot.

Have a nice trip. The more your wife goes out, the more relaxed she will be, especially if you go out with another AI/TI or 2. Right now she probably thinks you are slightly nuts. With experience she will get over that.

BTW, East Cape Sable (10 mi west of Flamingo) is a great place for your first camping trip. No people, a beautiful beach, good fishing (maybe), and a great experience if you are with other experienced AI/TI/kayak campers. ECS will be one of the first trips we do next fall.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Right now she probably thinks you are slightly nuts. With experience she will get over that.

Or at least come to accept it....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keeping the crew happy is very important, and baby steps are definately helping (probably for me too)!

Yeah, I know Elliot Key is probably overpopulated, but I figure the reefs are just a few miles on the other side and so it would be a good base from which to do a little diving. The wife doesn't like to go from dive boats, but she *easily* gets off and on the TI so I figure I can just strap the gear to the tramps and head out!

ECS is already on the GPS, as well as all the others up the west coast. I can't wait to try out camping. Haven't done it since I was a Boy Scout a million years ago, but I figure if I can go slow and make it enjoyable for the crew then maybe it can be a winter hobby!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, and the wife got over *thinking* I was slightly nuts a few years ago - now she *knows* :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brady & others who might be reading this tread,

One more lesson on important uses of your gps.

This is a National Geographic TOPO! map image of the Flamingo area in the Everglades. It is zoom level 5—the highest.

The next image is a NG TOPO! map at zoom level 4 showing Flamingo to East Cape Sable. It has a route displayed. This route would be uploaded to your gps for use during a trip to ECS. As a kayaker, I loved routes because following a route would get you to your destination (ECS in this case) by the shortest path. As a sailor, you are largely at the whim of the winds. In my hypothetical example, the winds are out of the SW. So, closely following the route to ECS will be difficult. You are forced to tack off the wind. I have shown your likely “actual track” in reaching ECS.

Now the following map shows your likely track and the use of GOTO. You could have used the route, if the winds had been from the SE—then you could have run on a broad reach and stuck closely to the route. But, with the winds in the SW, the route is pretty useless. Your actual track deviates greatly from the route. In this case, using a GOTO is better. Use the single waypoint, X, and select GOTO on your gps. Now, on the gps display, you always have a direct line connecting your position with that wpt. Your gps will give you the instantaneous bearing directly to the wpt and the miles (km) distant. No matter where you are the GOTO makes it appear that all you need do is follow the straight line to your destination. Of course, you can’t follow that bearing because of the wind, still, when you look at the display (which should have “bearing” and “heading” data windows,) it tells you what bearing you should be on to go directly to your destination. Finally, the last tack you make takes you on the bearing the GOTO says to follow, and you sail into your destination. For sailors, the GOTO is great.

Hope that makes sense—if not, again, just go out and try these thing. After you have made and followed a route in your neighborhood, use a GOTO w/ your home as destination. You will see that the GOTO wants to direct you through people’s yards, through buildings, etc. It will always be a straight line to your home.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, NAVIGATE the ROUTE and GOTO the waypoint. I found the GOTO on my 76! Thanks for the great info Keith. I think maybe MAP the route and then GOTO the final waypoint would be a good combo...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great lessons on how to use a GPS in the water; thanks. In just a few short replys I feel so much more informed that 10hour at different GPS retailers :idea: :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Garmin 76CS on sale at West Marine for $179 and Garmin 76csx for $199. New Garmin 78 is $499.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Went to West Marine and got an 8" long dry bag for the 76 (their generic version). Unfortunately it's just a slight bit to narrow to actually get the unit into! Important note to self - if you are going to go through the effort of bringing the GPS with you to the store and removing the bag from the packaging to see if it is long enough, also take the extra 30 seconds to put the into into the bag to see if it actually fits. :oops:

Keith, just got back from scouting out Matheson to see where to put the TI in. Are you launching from the parking lot on the North side, or is there a better place to go from? I wonder if they will complan if I left my trailer in that parking lot, or if I would have to move it to one of the parking lots for the motor boat trailers?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Brady,

I'm not sure where you are talking about. I used to launch from the wading circle at the end of the road that goes over the bridge--that was a favorite kayak launch. However, it is much easier to launch a boat from a trailer at the marina--the boat launch ramps just over the bridge on the left. I usually launch near small ramp at the south end of the ramps. You know, you are just like all the other boats--power & sail that launch from the ramps. I do try to avoid launching when all the powerboats are putting in--Sat, Sun mornings. Either I launch before them or after the main rush.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, I know the circle that you are talking about. I was trying to avoid the boat ramps-seemed really, really busy there today....

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont know if GPS devices have this so apologies in advance if i am dublicating,

I was looking at apps to download on my phone and came across THIS, If you can get past the OMG Big Brother is watching you side of it, it could be used as a handy tool for people on dry land to keep track of you if your offshore. you can also send your current coordinates by sms or twitter or facebook if you so desire, but could be handy to inform the coastgaurd in serious situations.

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance

Last edited by Twerto on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for pointing this one out. It has potential.

There are some VHF radios that can grab data from a boats GPS, and at least one handheld that has built in GPS and will broadcast your location.

Right now, If I have cell reception, I can send GPS coordinates from my iPhone using Navionics charts and also from the basic Apple "Maps" utility,

It just involves tapping on the maps blue location dot and choosing the "Share" option. It can email or SMS from there.

I am assuming maps will stop trying to resolving street addresses offshore and just pump out raw GPS data.

If not, the GPS data is still there to read, so a phone call or VHF call will share my location with the world.

God Forbid.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Paul67 wrote:
I am new to the water and GPS's (is this is a word)
I am looking for a GPS that would help me in the water and record my great trips. I would also like the GPS to help me navigate in the car.

Would you share with me what GPS you have and why you got it please.

I just received a Standard Horizon HX851 Floating Marine with GPS to replace my Garmin 60 CSx that ceased to function after getting soaked in salt water sailing my TI in somewhat rough conditions.

The Garmin worked fine for nearly three years but the salt water finally got to it.

In making my selection, I wanted a GPS based devise that would get me out of trouble in the worst of conditions. (I still have a working Standard Horizon HX600s that sat in salt water many times yet it still functions as attended,)

The GPS navigation functions in the HX851 are basic. It can store 200 waypoints that you can navigate to with a compass display pointer, your distance to the waypoint and your speed are also displayed. The display pointer to your waypoint is large enough for easy viewing (unfortunately the distance to the waypoint and your speed is in print that requires you to hold the unit up close.)

The other features that appealed to me is that the unit has a fully functional Digital Selective Calling (DSC) system, that with a free Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI), will call in the navy if you have an emergency -- giving them your identity, your home emergency contact information, and your current GPS location. (I can leave the SPOT at home, unless I use it for hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire)

And with the DSC I can communicate with other similarly equipped boats in hailing them and in receiving and transmitting each others positions in open water, and the coordinates are stored as a waypoint that I can navigate to.

http://www.boatus.com/MMSI/default.asp

I eventually will be getting another Garmin GPS, with all the fine mapping and routing features, but I will be keeping it wrapped up and in a inside pocket for use only when there is no splashing and the sea waters are not rolling into the Hobie cockpit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next