Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul67 wrote:
Thanks all for your advise.

I also have a mac and just assumed that these companies would be making software for both mac and PC. You have given me something more to think about :o

Paul

I also have an iMac and have found that software from people that you'd assume cover Macs isn't always available. I've got a handheld Magellan Triton 400 that I primarily use for mountain biking that's PC only.

A solution of course is to use Bootcamp, buy Windows and run Windows on your Mac. I do that because of a couple of Windows specific programs that I use which work perfectly on my Mac.

Only downside of course is the cost of another Operating platform and boot time switching between OS-X and Windows which seems to take an eternity (reality about 3 minutes.....but you know what I mean)

Off topic......I bought a nifty little 'Camera flotation strap' for my Point 'n Shoot*, which is basically just a padded wrist strap for anyone concerned about their camera going to a watery grave. $20 at my local Camera House.

*The Point 'n Shoot being a Sony TX5 same as Mrs Mitch's which I bought the other day after seeing the excellent results here. (Curse you Mrs Mitch ! :wink: )

Ken.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was running boot camp but got sick and tied of restarting the computer.
I figure if the company (product) can not support my needs I don't buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good policy.

I must admit that I've avoided a few costly impulse buys of software that don't support Mac. It has to be something I really need now to buy a Windows version due to the Shut Down/Re Boot issue.....and then do it all again to get back to OS X.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahhh, an outbreak of Macparanoia. They have got plenty of software for the Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got a GPS in my Hummingbird sonar but I found it to be no near as good as the Garmin GPSMap76s which I have mounted in the car from a logging and trip computer point of view. In the end I went and got a GPSMap76CX which I use as a backup and trip computer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own a colorado 400c and it was great! The wheel on the front made it so easy to one hand all functionality. Unfortunately if you look at the seal under the wheel you will see there is very little keeping water out of the unit. Just after warranty expired, the seal under the wheel leaked and corroded some of the electronics for the buttons/wheel. I think this is why they discontinued it.

I recently replaced it with the gpsmap 78 which I really like as well and seems to be sealed a lot better and floats. I really like the navagation maps and you can display the detailed bathymetry charts "fishing charts" on the unit. I emailed garmin specifically about the charts and they finally came back saying you can do it, and I have done it on my unit.

Also, after my previous problem, I make sure the new unit stays between my vest and me to avoid almost all water spray when not in use. I really don't see how the colorado passed the water submersion standards.

JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I like the look of the Garmin; now to chooose the software!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul67 wrote:
I think I like the look of the Garmin; now to chooose the software!

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12060&p=66634

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris,

I have looked at Topo Australia on the net; I did wonder how goo dit was. Looks like it will have to be something I get.

Regards Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Garmin also has "RoadTrip", for free I believe. It's pretty basic but does work on a Mac and lets you easily download the data from the units and export them to google earth formats, etc...Google earth also has a mac version.

Also, you can buy HomePort from Garmin, which is windows only right now, but they are working on a Mac version. It lets you do routes, import data, and manipulate maps and also displays topos and the garmin bluechart/vision maps.

I really like Garmin, but they definitely use their customers as Beta testers, which is very frustrating. The Colorado 400c had/has lots of bugs, and HomePort has lots of bugs as well. So far my GPSMap 78 seems pretty bug free, I've been impressed with it so far.

JG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:

Tom, please done take offense at that quote. If your Oregon works for you that is what counts.

Keith

Keith, no offense taken at all, but I should point out that the review is the opposite of my experience.

The Oregon is bright in the full sun, and actually harder to see under the shade of the Bimini top than in full sun. My problems with seeing it have been with my aging eyes, not the screen. :wink: I can't read the numbers on paper charts any more either...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OasisGuy wrote:
Good policy.

I must admit that I've avoided a few costly impulse buys of software that don't support Mac. It has to be something I really need now to buy a Windows version due to the Shut Down/Re Boot issue.....and then do it all again to get back to OS X.

If I had to use Windows programs with any regularity, I'd get Parallels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have also used 'paralell', I found that running 2 OS just slowed my computer down, admittdly I was playing flight simulator!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I happened to go to the West Marine site and a promo for a Garmin GPSMAP76Cx popped out. Price $199. This unit does not have a compass or altimeter/barometer (GPSMAP76CSx has these features and sells for about $300.) You may have seen some of my other posts where I have stated that the compass is there only for diehard compass users. I never use the compass and, when I have tried it, I have always found it rather unreliable on a boat on the water. Your basic GPS unit gives you a heading in degrees--why do you need a compass? I do carry a backup analog compass which I have never had to use. Here are 2 links, one to West Marine, the other to Amazon which seems to have the same unit for $313.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=7793078&langId=-1&icid=HM2_WM_76cx_0708
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-76Cx-Handheld/dp/B000CSP000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278621502&sr=1-1

I'm tempted to buy one. My wife, Nancy, likes her Etrex Horizon, but I think she could learn to like a Garmin 76.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the csx version and I keep the compass turned off which gives me about a months worth of use on 2 alkaline AA batteries. The compass seems to take a lot of extra battery life. Also, I keep it in battery saver mode, which slows down the display updates, but again really extends the battery life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next