Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad to see my comment, "...someone young like RoadRunner or Dosjers.)" was true. And, KBob, just savor it.

Hey, have a nice holiday ladies and gentlemen...

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Luke...I am your faathar...

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Happy holidays and may the "Aloha" be with you. :)

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I heard that whilst on an extended Sea Kayak expidition Keith actually saw Mount Vesuvius erupt covering Pompeii ... of course there are no pics to prove it but there are some stone etchings :mrgreen:

... just teasing Keith as you are a huge inspiration to this soon to be 50 yr old who has finally learned that life is a marathon not a sprint. I just hope I've saved enough of myself to enjoy the second half - half as much as you seem to be doing.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, thanks, Alan. I didn't start kayaking until I was 60 yrs old, and I bought an AI with the hopes it would extend my ability and desire to do the things I like to do. Fortunately, I have a great companion, my wife, Nancy, who is always game to do things with me--she even provides a little break on me so that I don't do anything real stupid.

No question that I wish I had started this stuff earlier like you, Alan, so I'm sure you will do great.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For those of you wondering I thought I'd post the outcome of my mishap. Hobie offered me a new hull at a much reduced cost in addition to the cost of shipping. I'm guessing their raw material costs had to be more than what they charged me. Instead of trying to repair the holes, losing the use of them, and always wondering if the repair would hold when offshore, I took their offer. The new hull came with all the attachments short of the lines and akas.

As is obvious from some of the opinions in this thread, Hobie could have had the "too bad, deal with it, it's you fault" opinion. Fortunately, for me they did not take this approach and helped a customer out, while illustrating their commitment to their customers. And unlike some of the others on here who want to argue who the oldest fart is, I still have a number of good years left in me to obtain more Hobie products in the future. So thanks Hobie for valuing and working to create a lifelong customer.

I've pretty much decided to abandon the use of the scupper cart, even if it is used with the utmost care. The post I just read by Paul67 reiterates this decision. I've been looking around and am thinking of buying a C-Tug Kayak cart.
http://c-tug.net/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo wrote:
mmiller wrote:
Gringo wrote:
So, the TI that my wife ordered for me in September should be one with the flotation?

I haven't seen it yet, it's still awaiting customs clearance.

If it's a 2011 yes. If not... it is pretty easy to add. The internal flotation we add is similar to a pool noodle material, but long blocks. I believe 4 are in a TI.

This is simple reserve flotation in case of a hull being flooded... which can happen from a variety of issues including an open hatch of course. We started with flotation for boats sold in Europe due to certification issues there. Weight of the hulls is a sales issue between manufacturers, but we felt that safety should come first and made the change here as well.

Well, this is not entirely true.
Maybe for boats going to Europe, but not mine.

I am taking a break right now from assembling trailer and TI, but s/n HCCP1154K011 was ordered in September, and from what I am reading is a new one.

It was purchased from dealer in Florida, who shipped it to us via sea freight.

But there is no floatation of any kind inside the hull. Just two water bottles and three battens in there. Believe me, I looked.

Also came with a sticker on the packing that said "Dry Bag Missing".

And this is true. There is no dry bag in it, either.

So, how do I tell if it has any of the other upgrades? There is no bungy on the rudder, for example. Nor included with the boat. Do we supply our own bungees for rudder mod on 2011 boats? There is nothing in the documentation about that. Is the documentation up to date?

Also noticed nothing in it about installing the seats, but I assume I can figure that out when I get to that point.

Well, back to it...

My 2001 didn't come with a dry bag either. :roll: Nor did anyone elses that I know. However I did get one with my 2009 model. :roll: :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

flaneur wrote:
For those of you wondering I thought I'd post the outcome of my mishap. Hobie offered me a new hull at a much reduced cost in addition to the cost of shipping. I'm guessing their raw material costs had to be more than what they charged me. Instead of trying to repair the holes, losing the use of them, and always wondering if the repair would hold when offshore, I took their offer. The new hull came with all the attachments short of the lines and akas.

As is obvious from some of the opinions in this thread, Hobie could have had the "too bad, deal with it, it's you fault" opinion. Fortunately, for me they did not take this approach and helped a customer out, while illustrating their commitment to their customers. And unlike some of the others on here who want to argue who the oldest fart is, I still have a number of good years left in me to obtain more Hobie products in the future. So thanks Hobie for valuing and working to create a lifelong customer.

I've pretty much decided to abandon the use of the scupper cart, even if it is used with the utmost care. The post I just read by Paul67 reiterates this decision. I've been looking around and am thinking of buying a C-Tug Kayak cart.
http://c-tug.net/index.php

flaneur - thanks for the update and good to hear it got resolved to your satisfaction. Full marks to Hobie for their considerate & sympathetic customer assistance. A good way to maintain customer loyalty. :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

flaneur, great result considering and once again I tip my hat to Hobie, great support guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good on you Hobie for solving the issue and maintaining your customer loyalty.

More than a year back I posted my solution to inserting the cart back into the scuppers whilst on the water. The problem was that the karts are so buoyant with lots of air in the tyres making it a difficult operation to lean over the side to push the kart down sufficiently to be able to line up and insert the kart tubes into the scuppers. The buoyant tyres take over and float up under the boat making insertion impossible.
I suggested filling the tyres with enough water so they were just floating. It was then easy to insert the remove the cart whilst on the water. I have kept my cart wheels with water in them for all this time and find this is a great solution to a real problem.

It seems to me that the other advantage this offers is that the cart is not trying to break its way into the hull through the power of flotation, and just rides under the boat gently regardless of conditions. If I was to lift my hull such as Flaneur attempted, the cart will slip out of the scuppers again gently but positively because of its extra weight and not ride up until the wheels are right out of the water.
I continue to recommend this solution which will solve the problem for which it was thought through, but now also to help protect our boats. I love using the Hobie cart and could not think of a more effective and efficient way to get the boats into and out of the water .....Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Pirate, sounds like a reasonable idea; What is the total weight difference once you have enough water or how much water have you added to each tire ?

What sort of tire's are they, balloon or high pressure ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Flaneur

Glad you got a good outcome!

I think it was good of Hobie to do this!

Your post will make me more careful that's for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ELM wrote:
Hi Pirate, sounds like a reasonable idea; What is the total weight difference once you have enough water or how much water have you added to each tire ?

What sort of tire's are they, balloon or high pressure ?

Hi Elm, I have the low pressure balloon tyres and they are each filled about 1/3rd with waterand then re-inflated to the manufacturer's specs. . It will work with any tyres though and just experiment in the laundry sink by adding water until you get just the right amount of buoyancy. Incidentally the water also improves the stability of the cart when ferrying around the fully rigged up AI.
The weight difference of the cart is minimal really and so much so I have not even bothered to weigh it. The boat won't know the difference and there is no volume penalty. Hope this helps.....Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie - Fine job of customer/product support!!

Pirate - are those the old PVC tyres you are filling? The PolyU versions have a much higher volume.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:roll:

Cricky! looks like another reason for Hobie to reconsider the construction of the AI and work in bulkheads into the design or provide for a set of front and rear buoyancy devices. Had this happened offshore......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Hobie - Fine job of customer/product support!!

Pirate - are those the old PVC tyres you are filling? The PolyU versions have a much higher volume.

Yes mate....My kart has the old tyres, but I would not be put off by the larger tyres. They are not all that much larger....Pirate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next