Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to AI
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am an old Hobie 16 sailor from Southern California. I moved to the Seattle area a few years ago and live adjacent to the Puget Sound. I just received a new AI and look forward to sailing and Kayaking on the calmer waters near my home.

My question is how wet I will become when sing the AI? The waters here are cold (48-55F) even in the summers. Should I always wear a wet suit (in addition to a PFD) and how likely is dumping the boat with a 10-20 mph wind?

Any advice from cold water users will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: New to AI
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to the cold water club and to the forum. I sail in Maine and have sailed all winter long. The question you pose comes up every so often. I suggest a search of the topic would bring up a lot of threads on the topic. But the short answer is even at 20 mph wind one would have to be pretty foolish to dump it. Not likely to happen. Kokadat dry suit is the way to go. Expensive yes. But cheaper than a funeral. When the water warms a bit ---dry pants from NRS and a good kayak jacket is nice. Enjoy. ---Doug

Post subject: Re: New to AI
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are definitely a lot of opinions about how to dress for cold water, and certainly the very best dry suit is a great option if you've got the money. An even better option is to stay out of the water when it's cold or dangerous.

So having covered that ground (because it always seems to come up) Here's what I've developed over time. Keep in mind, this is for sailing on Lake Ontario in the non winter months. When I sail other lakes in Ontario, in the summer, I won't usually need any of this.

Major Items:
- Neoprene shorts
- Neoprene vest
- Full wetsuit (right to wrist and ankles)
- Dry top (sailing Jacket)

Accessories:
- Neoprene gloves
- Paddling Hood (see image below)
- Neoprene socks (or shoes)

Now here's how I use them:
- I almost ALWAYS wear the Neoprene shorts. They're not too hot, because you can dip your legs and arms in the water to stay cool, but they keep "the goods" warm.
- The neoprene vest is great to take along. It creates a shorty wetsuit type of coverage, but is easy to take on and off. If it's windy, I'll leave shore wearing it because it keeps those big splashes from being shocking.
- The full wetsuit is good for colder conditions, but it's very hot if you don't get wet, and it's not easy to take off or put back on while you're out there. If it's cold, it's good, but if it's not too cold, bring LOTS of drinking water to make up for fluid lost to sweating
- The gloves are obvious, if you need them, wear them. The socks are nice, but a lot of people want shoes to have some tread on the mirage drive. The socks are cheaper, and I can get 4 pair for the price of the cheapest neoprene shoes, so I went with them.
- The hood is the BEST thing that I've bought for cold weather. It's 20 bucks here in Canada, it's rubbery on the outside, with a nice thin, but soft inside. It keeps all of the wind and water off of your head and face. It's ugly when you're wearing it, but surprisingly comfortable, and often the biggest difference between being cold or comfortable.

- The dry top/sailing jacket is something that I just bought. I'll be trying it out this weekend. I have a feeling that it could be my favourite new item. I can wear it over wetsuits, or just t-shirts (always with a lifejacket on). I'll be sailing this weekend with some type of neoprene layer underneath it, but I'm confident that keeping that wind and water off the wetsuit will make things that much warmer and more comfortable.

That's a full list, from one member who sails at least twice a week (often more) in colder water. It's not the only way to do things, but it works great for me.