Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Notes on the AI page say that "Repositioned Thru-Hull wire plugs for easier access" for the 2016 hull.

Any photos showing where they are?

My dealer has a 2015 hull in stock, but I may be better off asking for a 2016 hull

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are they on the 2015 model? The older two way thru hull grommets needed backing nuts which made bulkhead mounting on some models hard due to access to back nut.The new three way plugs are surface screw mounts so have no back nut, so they can be mounted on bulkheads easier.

On revo 16 2015 the old ones were mounted on bottom of tankwell causing leak issues as they were underwater, now they are mounted on bulkhead behind seat above water

By easier access it really means the new fitting with no backnuts no longer requiring access,

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Without intimate knowledge of either 2015 or 2016 models, if that is the only difference between them, just buy the 2015 model which surely you can get for hundreds less than the newer model. How many $$ could repositioned thru-hulls be worth? (not much, I'd guess)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Without intimate knowledge of either 2015 or 2016 models, if that is the only difference between them, just buy the 2015 model which surely you can get for hundreds less than the newer model. How many $$ could repositioned thru-hulls be worth? (not much, I'd guess)

Depends if the old position is below the water line and hence subject to potential leaks or not. Though as far as i am aware the AI wasn't a problem. But I would eyeball that before making a decision.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WAVERIDER wrote:
tonystott wrote:

Depends if the old position is below the water line and hence subject to potential leaks or not. Though as far as i am aware the AI wasn't a problem. But I would eyeball that before making a decision.

I believe the repositioning is on the deck, as the transducer fits in its little cave underneath, while the wires come up to the deck. It is the positioning of the thru-hulls to take these wires inside the hull (and bring them out where the fish finder is located) that I believe is changed. So no difference to the seaworthiness.