Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I arrived in FL with my AI yesterday, hit a dock and broke the left rear aka brace today. I've been scouring the Internet for a source that can overnight me a replacement but all the usual sources say 1 to 2 weeks (I'll be gone from all this wonderful water then). Does anyone know how to contact somebody directly who has these and can ship? The brace broke away and is now the property of davy jones. The bar aka itself is fine and a stub that the brace attaches to is still on the aka and actually appears fine too. I've found replacement assembly on Amazon and elsewhere but the ship times are weeks. They don't make these things to order do they? And you can't really sail without one can you?

Frustrated in Florida,

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Austin Kayak has them and can overnight them. Make sure you distinguish between V1 or V2.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/315 ... -Solo.html

I think:
V1 being before 2015
V2 2015 &16

How did you break the brace without the plastic bolt shearing first?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried Austin Kayak. They say the best turn around they can provide is maybe two weeks because Hobie has to ship to them and then they have to ship to me. Nobody is set up to do anything direct. This would have made sense in the 19th century I guess but it hard to accept when you have two weeks of perfect water and a boat that would be fine except for a part.

I don't know about the design of these aka braces but I can justconfirm that my aka itself if fine and the place where the brace attaches is a stub that appears like it ought to fit inside a tube that is the brace I suppose. It looks like the stub is bolted to the aka with a stainles steel bolt. Kudos to the people who anticipated this type of situation and designed a non-destructive breaking point. I am withholding kudos for the people who designed the parts distribution system.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You sure about that??? Austin Kayak says they are in stock. They don't usually list a Hobie part unless they have it in stock. From my experience. If they don't have it in stock then yes, I have to special order it from them and they order it from Hobie.

If I we're you I would call them again and try someone different or do the online chat.

EDIT: I just had a chat with Austin Kayak, they have both the V1 & V2 solo aka Island braces in stock.

So what happened to the brace? Did you loose it in the water? It also has an attachment leash so that doesn't happen. It isn't a stainless bolt they use, it's a plastic one so that it does sheer on impact and limit the damage. Thus all you need to do is to reattach the brace and use the extra plastic bolt attached to the brace.

Last edited by CR Yaker on Fri May 13, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timo wrote:
I tried Austin Kayak. They say the best turn around they can provide is maybe two weeks because Hobie has to ship to them and then they have to ship to me. Nobody is set up to do anything direct. This would have made sense in the 19th century I guess but it hard to accept when you have two weeks of perfect water and a boat that would be fine except for a part.

I don't know about the design of these aka braces but I can justconfirm that my aka itself if fine and the place where the brace attaches is a stub that appears like it ought to fit inside a tube that is the brace I suppose. It looks like the stub is bolted to the aka with a stainles steel bolt. Kudos to the people who anticipated this type of situation and designed a non-destructive breaking point. I am withholding kudos for the people who designed the parts distribution system.

Tim

I would not be to hasty to award kudos to the person who fitted a stainless steel bolt. Sounds to me like it is a direct result of their action that you are in this predicament. If the aka brace had been connected by the standard Hobie sacrificial plastic bolt, this would have broken, as designed. Probably the unbroken brace would have remained attached at its inner end, and all you would have then needed to do was insert a replacement bolt (or even a screwdriver as a temporary fix).

Hobie's parts distribution policy would then have had zero effect on your holiday enjoyment

Last edited by tonystott on Fri May 13, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Did you try a "more local" dealer?

Quote:
Nobody is set up to do anything direct. This would have made sense in the 19th century

We offer to drop ship dealers orders direct to their customers, but ACK might not be your closest? And they don't seem to use that service. We will not ship orders outside the dealers area... into another dealers area. We also can ship next day if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well now that Austin Kayak says they have what I need, I guess they can overnight it this coming Monday, so perhaps I've just lost the weekend.

But they don't seem to be able to tell me which of the V1 or the V2 version 79523101 or 79523201 I should order. When I asked them which I should order, their reponse was just "the v1 is the older one".

I don't remember what year I bought my boat. It was not in the last couple of years. It was probably after 2008. It *may* have been 2010.

Does anyone know of some way to determine which of these two would be the correct part for my boat?

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timo wrote:
Well now that Austin Kayak says they have what I need, I guess they can overnight it this coming Monday, so perhaps I've just lost the weekend.

But they don't seem to be able to tell me which of the V1 or the V2 version 79523101 or 79523201 I should order. When I asked them which I should order, their reponse was just "the v1 is the older one".

I don't remember what year I bought my boat. It was not in the last couple of years. It was probably after 2008. It *may* have been 2010.

Does anyone know of some way to determine which of these two would be the correct part for my boat?

Tim

Anything pre 2015 is going to be V1.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, the heading for the thread is incorrect. you don't want an "AI left rear aka replacement" at all. Rather you need an "AI aka brace" (the parts Are identical on both sides). Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Also, the heading for the thread is incorrect. you don't want an "AI left rear aka replacement" at all. Rather you need an "AI aka brace" (the parts Are identical on both sides). Hope this helps.

I agree Tony. I think Tim was confused on the language of what part it was he needed and possible still confused on what he really needs.
A bit unappreciative I might add, I don't like the tone he is setting.

What I would like answered for myself and others is what did break or was lost??? Did the aka brace break as it is supposed to and all Tim needed to do was to put it back together with the spare plastic bolt? Or did he at one time replace the plastic bolt with a stainless one and thus the damaged part???

Obviously we are not getting any feedback, just pleas for help and demands for information. Thus I remove myself from answering any more question of the thread author.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry!

Believe me, I'm extremely appreciative of everyone's help. This has been a confusing day with the boat breaking and some exchanges with Austin Kayak that took a long time and set me on the wrong track in understanding what I needed, when I could get it, and because of delays from needing to sort through that confusion the window of possibility for getting the part in shipment to me in time for Monday evaporated. I don't need the whole aka, just the brace. But the AK rep on the phone, told me I could only get the brace by getting the whole aka assembly. And further that that could take two weeks. I reported that here where these inaccuracies were corrected. I need the brace, not the whole aka, and AK actually has it in stock. And Matt Miller knows what AK doesn't, that Hobie will expedite shipment. Oh well all good now. I was told here on the forum that AK sells the brace. In fact they sell two versions of the brace: a V1 and a V2. AK didn't known they had them and they then didn't know which one to sell me. However, The Forum informed me (thanks to all!) that I need a V1. So the forum has been extremely helpful and believe me I'm very grateful that its been here over the years supplying so much stimulus and useful help. I'll order my v1 brace on monday and hopefully get it over nighted to me.

I can't fix the old brace because it is at the bottom of the St. Lucie River estuary (Florida Atlantic coast, about half way down the state). It left the boat when it broke. I did look for it but it's a gone brace.

I hope what I'm ordering contains all the hardware I'll need. I'd ask Austin Kayak but I'm doubting now they'd know. AK has been a very helpful source in the past for hobie AI accessories and I've always liked their responsiveness, but they got it wrong today.

Thank you all very much.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's awesome Tim, glad you got it straight. Must not have been a leash on that brace, too bad. Yeah you will get everything needed with the brace, it's really quite simple to install, basically the one plastic bolt and away you go. Make sure the leash is attached this time.

Tim, you should do as Matt suggested, now that you know the specific name of the part you need, and tomorrow or Monday call around to the nearest dealers to see if they have that part on hand, use the find a dealer at the top of this page. You might be surprised and find a dealer with one of the 2014 or older Hobies on hand that they can part out for the time being the part you need if they don't have it in stock. Or overnight like Matt suggested from Hobie.
Otherwise it's ACK.

Last edited by CR Yaker on Fri May 13, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a way to leash the older braces:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11745&highlight=

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:35 am 
Site Admin

TI_Tom wrote:

We do not call the 2015 Island a "V2", but it has the same "V2" crossbars.

V1 vs V2 is related to the crossbar to aka connection type. V1 had a stainless pin that connected them. V2 has the oval crossbars and a casting connected to the aka inserts into it with the two plastic locking buttons.

The aka brace is just a different length, so you can verify by measuring your other one to be sure of what they have.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
TI_Tom wrote:

We do not call the 2015 Island a "V2", but it has the same "V2" crossbars.

V1 vs V2 is related to the crossbar to aka connection type. V1 had a stainless pin that connected them. V2 has the oval crossbars and a casting connected to the aka inserts into it with the two plastic locking buttons.

The aka brace is just a different length, so you can verify by measuring your other one to be sure of what they have.

Good to know.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas