Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Can anyone tell me if the distance between the seats is greater then on the Oasis?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In a possibly related question, will Hobie ever release an Extra Large size Adventure Island?

Meaning: a Tandem Island hull and rig, but with a single seat on top?

My friend Steve kind of wonders...

If he carries a Coke, he's over the weight limit for my boat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray:
I take our Tandem Island out all the time solo, I prefer to sit in the front seat, and typically leave the back seat at home and put the scupper plug in the rear mirage hole ( the extra area is good for storage). Sails as good as an AI (maybe a little faster). My son who is over 6 ft and around 270 was very comfortable. With him and I, and his 4 yr old son on the tramp, we needed the extra sail area the TI provides. If you think about it to get the extra floation needed to carry say 500-600 lbs, the hull, AMA's, and weight would have to grow close to TI size anyway, so just have him get a TI, It's a great boat. It sails just fine solo and/or with two very large adults and is comfortable either way.

LeBron:
We also had an Oasis, and when two large adults are in the boat it's definately more cramped than in the TI. Also with two very large adults the Oasis is a bit more tipsy probably because the center of gravity. We have had our TI out as a kayak (without the AMA's) with two very large adults and it seems much more stable than our Oasis (and much faster too). We still love the Oasis, it's a great boat, but I personally like the TI even more. Hope this helps.
If you look at Stringy's video at ( viewtopic.php?f=70&t=38060) you can see he has three large adults on the TI and they all look comfortable.
One other thing I need to mention is my legs are very thin and small but my weight is 250, so my center of gravity is very high on any kayak.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

LeBron wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the distance between the seats is greater then on the Oasis?
Space between cockpits may be slightly larger (less than an inch difference, if any) The TI has wider cockpits and longer rear cockpit than the current Oasis (2011 and newer). The front cockpit is longer in both boats and close to equal in length (TI may be slightly longer)

The 2011 Oasis is a completely different boat than the previous version, so fusioneng's comments regarding his 2008 Oasis would not apply to the newer model. The current Oasis has longer cockpits than the older and excellent primary and secondary stability.

Here are reviews on both -- you'll find additional comments on the cockpits therein.
Oasis: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30980
Tandem Island: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22768
8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner:
If I had put together a wish list of all the things I would like to see improved on the 2011 Oasis verses my 08, every item would have been checked on that list. All I can say is WOW, nice job Hobie, you guys rock.
Bob