Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help selecting boat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering buying a hobie adventure island. I weigh 125 lbs and will mostly be sailing by my self. I cant decide if i should buy the tandem or not. The sail area is much larger which I assume with only one person aboard will push the boat faster. I really want the fastest boat that I can get, because I am looking for a thrilling ride.
Also, If I purchase the trampoline will I bea able to hike out onto it with just me in the boat while going at a good speed or will this be dangerous and slow performance?
Thanks for the input.

Post subject: Re: help selecting boat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought the tandem myself. From everything I have read the TI is faster on all points of wind than the AI. What I liked was the ability to carry extra people and gear. I have about 40 miles on mine so far in 10-25 knots and up to about 6 foot seas on the last trip. It is very fast for what it is and you feel like you are going faster than you really are because you are right ontop of the water. On my last outing I was loaded with 460 pounds of people weight :) (just two of us) and we were surfing the face of the swells at 10 knots. It was a 9 mile rush that ended way too soon. I actually had blisters from being too active with the main sheet. With the tramp out I feel like it will catch wind and flip me but I think that is just my inexperience with the boat. I felt like that on my monohull too until the first time my windows went into the water. After that I felt much more confident about her capabilities. I'm sure that Confidence will come with the TI aswell. The AI is a great boat but you may want to move up to the TI later just to carry all the friends that are going to want to get in on all the fun you are having.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! For me I am not very expirenced with these types of boats. (I have never had one before) Unlike most sailboats which it is easy to compare speed using the weight of the boat, sail size and your knowledge, I figured this boat will be tricky to figure out which is faster because of the design. I was worried about the size and weight of the boat for trailering and storing, 16' compared to 18' and 155lbs compared to 190 pounds. I think I am going to look for the TI. Do you know if two people can carry this boat (one in the front and one in the back using the tow handles?)
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi,

Buy the TI, it's a more versitale boat. Carry friends, gear, or just go fast. I'm happy I bought mine - forty hours and 160 miles since purchasing and I love it. Sails nicely solo and with guests

Cheers,

J

Ps, where are you?

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kayakman7 wrote:

Buy the TI, it's a more versitale boat.

I'm a big fan of BOTH boats. Sometimes on these boards you get guys who have only had the one boat, and decide that their boat is the best. If you get ANY chance at all to try out the boats, I'd try them both. The AI worked best for me. I decided to move up to another boat for more speed, but went with a Bravo, instead of a TI. The AI was easily car top-able by one person. Easily transportable from my house to the lake on just the Hobie cart, and easier to store for me.

The TI is a great boat, but don't be fooled into thinking that a little more Speed will equal a lot more fun. Both boats are very fun, and it's really important to find out which boat is best for you, not just which boat is best for others.

I could write in the AI/TI forum all day about how the Bravo is such a great boat, and better than the AI for me, but in reality, that's just my opinion, for my own needs. So get advice, but listen to why people like, and DON'T like their boats. Then decide if those things resonate with you, or if you have different ideas about how you'll use your boat.

But to be clear. If you can deal with the shortcomings of either boat, than you really can't go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Two people can carry the boat. Especially if it is not rigged yet. That being said, use a cart or dolly. Your back will thank you later. For some reason mine feels twice as heavy when I take it out as it did going in. Oh and just FYI, red is slower :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, I have to fill out my profile.... I am in New Jersey. I have a lake house on a lake with very rough water and big boats. My dock is full with every boat imaginable but I have a ramp at the end where there is a hobie 16. That is where i plan on launching this Al ore TI. I would like to launch the boat there, I have about 4 feet of clearance. I want to see If I can launch the boat with the outriggers tucked in and then deploy them in the water. I would go for the bravo if I didn't have the hobie 16 on the dock because the bravo is less than the AL.... but I have to buy what I have room for not what I wished I had room for...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh also... If I am sailing the TI by my self where do I sit in the front or the back... That is one of my concerns, because I have heard many complaints abou the boat nose diving when going at speed and I think sitting in the back will help. But sitting in the back will make it hard to go out on the tramp if I purchase the kit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Outrider wrote:
Oh and just FYI, red is slower :wink:

:roll: On this subject Outrider is obviously talkin out of his arse. Red is the very epitome of speed - on or off the water.

Basstender, a 125 lb individual would need to be very fit to haul a TI up a steep beach incline (or a loaded AI for that matter). Or up a slippery ramp.

If you have any challenging terrain, a second person would be mandatory. If not, a good set of wheels will get you by. You may find a long bowline, or two handles will make it easier to leverage your weight.

The TI is amazing for tandem sailing, but at 19ft it's a handful, (on or off the water).

If you're usually going to sail solo and are not going to use a trailer, I would suggest the AI. You'll have 90% of the fun, trust me. No sense getting a groin pull just to have 10% more. :wink:

And with the AI, you can still throw a second person on the tramps (or make benches) to safely sail in almost any wind. When you crave more room and excitement, take out the H16.

Speaking of tramps, you'll find it impractical to set these up after you are on the water, unless you can stand in waist deep water to to it.

Do you have a spot to deploy them after launching in the folded mode?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LOL.... I just said that to get you active in this post. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Nohuhu.
I started out with an AI but always thought the TI would be the ultimate.
So i bought one as well!
Fortunately i did not get rid of my AI - just upgraded to the latest models for both.

More often than not, i sail with my mates who all have AIs.
I am a heavier build than them and Ithink this plays a part in the fact that they can all pretty much out run me. However, we aren't trying to win a race and there really doesn't seem to be that much difference between them in relation to speed.
Most of my mates have a great deal more sailing experience thanme & this definitely plays a big part in this regard.
Having said that, they are both very forgiving and excellent for anyone who has little or no sailing experience.

Big is not always best!
I take out my little sports car ( AI) more often than the TI.
Unless you are planning on going out 2 up regularly, the AI is a great little solo craft that can be used for day and overnight camping trips, is easier to car top and manage on land and imo is just as much fun as the TI, albeit a little bit wetter.

I'm sure i could write a great deal more but i think that covers some of the most important points. I do find storing the TI a bit more difficult also, and there is an additional cost factor to consider also....
If you buy the AI & decide at some later stage you want the TI, they hold their value very well & are very easy to sell.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arrrgh! Am I that predictable? :cry:

NIcely done, Outhouse. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not predictable, but a wealth of knowledge. Level headed honest and to the point.
I'm on your island for a couple hours. Waiting in the lounge for my flight to Calif. No TI for me for at least 15 days :cry: maybe I'll drive down to the factory just for a sniff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Basstender, I just hope you are not under the misunderstanding that the AI or TI are really fast (compared to H16s etc). They are fundamentally long and narrow lightweight displacement hulls which can readily surf rather than plane. I am writing this as your first message seemed to place such a huge emphasis on speed.

I am soon getting a TI for its versatility in terms of performance and carrying capacity, but I am not expecting to be able to blow everything else off the water with it (just get huge grins from watching the spray blast past :))

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a TI and it's great for my use, which normally entails having the whole family along. However I would back up Nohohu and mickeymouse, it is a reasonable size piece of kit to move around and if I was considering something for mostly solo use then I would think the AI would be a better fit.