Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help buying a new AI
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! I went to the New York Boat Show yesterday, and stopped over at the hobie display. They had an AL there and I started talking to the salesman. He said that this boat was a 2009 that was never used, and it looked new. He said that for that boat they were asking $2,900. So, I asked how much If I payed in cash... then he immediately jumped down to $2,200. He was explaining about how the 2009 model had the akas welded together which costed more to make at the time rather than the cast sleeve that they use now. Can someone tell me if there are anything I should watch out for when buying a 2009 model, and is this a good price?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Help buying a new AL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$2200 is a great price if it's in new shape and comes with full warranty (as it should). There are quite a few upgrades since then, the best IMO is the larger transom, rudder and rudderpin starting around 2010, but the newest AI's are almost double the price of this older boat. I still prefer the older akas on my older AI's to the newer ones. I would grab the deal before it's gone! :) Good luck and happy sailing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

reconlon wrote:
$2200 is a great price if it's in new shape and comes with full warranty (as it should).

I agree! The '09's had some great upgrades w/the V2 Mirage drive, click-n-go and t-handle rudder control. You should upgrade to the turbo fins as those were not standard on the '09 AI. The larger sailing rudder is a must also. I'm not sure if the sailing rudder was standard on the '09 AI, I know it was not on the Adventure.

If you don't go for it, let me know, I have a friend who would be very interested. He passed up a barely used '10 AI for $2300 and that sold right away and regrets waiting.

I recently purchased an '11 'new' leftover AI and have been sailing every opportunity I get, fantastic ride!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bjb wrote:
reconlon wrote:
$2200 is a great price if it's in new shape and comes with full warranty (as it should).

I agree! The '09's had some great upgrades w/the V2 Mirage drive, click-n-go and t-handle rudder control. You should upgrade to the turbo fins as those were not standard on the '09 AI. The larger sailing rudder is a must also. I'm not sure if the sailing rudder was standard on the '09 AI, I know it was not on the Adventure.

If you don't go for it, let me know, I have a friend who would be very interested. He passed up a barely used '10 AI for $2300 and that sold right away and regrets waiting.

I recently purchased an '11 'new' leftover AI and have been sailing every opportunity I get, fantastic ride!

Thanks for the info! I just have to decide if I would rather buy a sunfish and a kayak. If I dont buy it then I will pm you the contact information for the dealership.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

basstender10.6 wrote:
I just have to decide if I would rather buy a sunfish and a kayak.

Just curious, what has you interested in a Sunfish over a Hobie product?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

augaug wrote:
basstender10.6 wrote:
I just have to decide if I would rather buy a sunfish and a kayak.

Just curious, what has you interested in a Sunfish over a Hobie product?

Good question. I am running out of space where I keep my boats. Not that the extra 4 feet the hobie has over the sunfish will make a big deal but I have a rack that I can keep it on. Also I can pick up a sunfish for $800 and another hobie kayak for $800. So after I add in the tramp set and some other items the hobie island will be over $2500. Also It will be easier to launch, next to a h16 down a ramp at the end of a dock. with the island, I will have to launch it with the akas folded in and they jump in the water and push then lock them. I would love to own an island even though it would not be very practical to set up for me, that is why I am considering a sunfish and a kayak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fair enough... I hear you about the space and the cost and everything else. Just remember... not many sailors sail a Hobie and wish that they would have bought a Sunfish. Lots of Sunfish owners have wished to own the Adventure Island that I used to have, and the Bravo that I now have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

augaug wrote:
Fair enough... I hear you about the space and the cost and everything else. Just remember... not many sailors sail a Hobie and wish that they would have bought a Sunfish. Lots of Sunfish owners have wished to own the Adventure Island that I used to have, and the Bravo that I now have.

I considered the bravo, but the only spot where I could put it would be the flat 16' by 16' spot on the dock where there is a hobie 16.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A Bravo is quite a bit shorter than a Sunfish, and only 4 inches wider. If you can fit a Sunfish, you could probably fit a Bravo. Plus the Bravo is WAY more fun! (no pressure, no pressure!) :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The dealer just called 5 minutes ago. They sold the AI on the last day of the boat show. They were asking $2,900 because it was a 2009 but they said they could do it for $2,200 for me if I paid in cash. Of coarse, they said that they have another boat but it is more money. They said they could do it for $3,300 because the other one is gone. After discussing it with him, he explained that there would be a $500 set up fee, a $200 delivery fee and with the trampoline set ($360), it came out to be over $4,500. Thank you for all the help, but I am now looking into a bravo or a used AI/TI if I can find one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

"Set up fee"? I think that is a typo... should read "rip off fee" You are wise to buy from someone else IMO

Post subject: Re: Help buying a new AI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I will have to launch it with the akas folded in and they jump in the water and push then lock them.

You can pedal away from the dock and than push the amas out / lock while sitting in the boat.

Nothing like the Adventure Island out there. Far more practical / usable than simply a kayak or Sunfish would ever be. The versatility of pedaling, sailing easy assembly rigging are amazing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
"Set up fee"? I think that is a typo... should read "rip off fee" You are wise to buy from someone else IMO

I agree, that dealer is starting to sound like a used car salesman! If possible, buy from a local, reputable dealer, you're more likely to get honest, straight forward answers, advice and service!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bjb wrote:
tonystott wrote:

I agree, that dealer is starting to sound like a used car salesman! If possible, buy from a local, reputable dealer, you're more likely to get honest, straight forward answers, advice and service!

I was shocked when I heard it. There is a hobie dealer down the street from me and I have bought there before, but I thought I would give this dealer a try because hobie picked them to represent them at the NYC boat show. I will not be buying this other boat that they have there from them. Their price is way too high.