Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did not think it was possible to capsize an Adventure Island without being rolled by surf before, and I am more sure of it now.

Today I went out to watch the Disabled Sailing World Championships being sailed on Charlotte Harbor and as I was pacing the fleet near the upwind mark, my lee ama let go and slammed back against the hull. It was a bit choppy and gusty, so naturally this happened in a gust.

I thought I was about to go swimming as the boat heeled over hard, but the collapsed ama stopped the rotation just as I was about to go in. I leaned hard toward the uphill side and the boat came back up! I quickly furled the sail, then looked back, expecting a broken pin.

The pin had not broken. I must not have gotten it all the way on, or I bumped it in such a way as to release it. Anyway, it had just popped off, so I put it back on and continued sailing.

I always kind of wondered whether the boat would roll over if that happened in a gust. Now I know it will not, but it went far enough that I almost went in the water.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good story, Tom. Well done.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All good experience Tom. :)
As a result of newby collisions my mates have broken 3 pins and lost one brace while sailing my spare AI. None have capsized despite two of them occuring in winds of 15-20knots. 8)
Your post has reminded me to post a clip I have of sailing back with a broken brace pin and holding the aka out to prevent capsize. I'd recommend everyone have a try of this so that if it happens the results won't be so unexpected. Disconnect the brace from the ball and try holding out both lee and windward ama (not at the same time). It's not that hard, though it can get tiring if the winds are strong and land is a long way off! Probably good to practice replacing the pin at sea as well so that you don't have to exert that arm! :wink: Because of K-Bobs leashes I keep the spare pins separately. If the spare pins are still on the brace make sure you can undo them easily, or you have access to a tool to assist, as they can be tight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool - good job.

It's easy to hit the brace release button with your elbow at any time. Too easy.

Most folks here know this, but using tramps or benches on the Akas help prevent a collapse, even when the brace is disengaged.

Without them, I would have been in your situation quite a few times. :roll: