Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am planning a 3 week trip in late Feb early March to East Gippsland Australia with the T.I. and a camper tent on the trailer. Does anyone have local knowledge? Suggestions for car-camping spots with good water access? Good spots to sail to? Day trips, overnighters? Fishing tips? - no I don't imagine you're going to tell me about the secret spot, but what is likely to be around at that time of year. Any advice gratefully received.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

abonnin,

I am hoping that we do get the secret location (things to do). I look forward to hearing also. I am on 5 weeks leave and would like to have a few sails. Weather is crap at the moment :( :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

abonnin wrote:
I am planning a 3 week trip in late Feb early March to East Gippsland Australia with the T.I. and a camper tent on the trailer. Does anyone have local knowledge? Suggestions for car-camping spots with good water access? Good spots to sail to? Day trips, overnighters? Fishing tips? - no I don't imagine you're going to tell me about the secret spot, but what is likely to be around at that time of year. Any advice gratefully received.

abonnin - there is a bunch of us down here who can clue you up on this.
We are about to embark on a short 3 day camping/sailing (possibly fishing) trip starting this Mon - Wed. Departing Paynesville (yacht club), sailing up to Loch Sport (or the direct opposite side - Storm point) and further on to Plover Point.
Last year we sailed from the Port of Sale down the river and throught the lakes all the way to Lakes Entrance (100 km), camping overnight (2 nights) along the way. Brilliant!
There are heaps of places to go and explore aroung here. Whether you are on a AI/TI or a trailer sailer, the lakes are a fantastic place to cruise around!

Apart from that, we have Lake Tyers, slightly east of Lakes Entrance. Another great waterway for sailing/fishing.
Further east there are places like Tamboon Inlet and Mallacoota. All excellent!!!!

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could give Cape Conran a look. Info found here- http://www.conran.net.au/

I get a cabin toward the end of winter. Last year I took the AI. Was kicking myself about not taking it the year before. You can launch from the West Cape boat ramp. Might also be possible in very calm weather and depending on rocks from Sailors Grave Beach. This had many small exposed rock last year but they were covered in sand the year before. Think it's the emergency boat ramp if you can't get back in at West Cape.

Heading back to West Cape boat ramp

If Bass Strait isn't your thing you've got the Yeerung River nearby also. Little tricky getting in as the track down is a bit steep but with 2 people you'd have no problems. I can dig up a pic of the launch spot if you want.

Quiet beach near the mouth of the Yeerung River.

There's also the Snowy River around Marlo. Haven't tried that one yet.

Around the Prom you've got Corner Inlet with good access around Yanakie or on the other side Shallow Inlet with access from either Lester Rd on the east side or Sandy Point on the south west side. Not sure how you'd go down at Tidal River there does appear to be a boat ramp but looks to be closed for the time being.

Shallow Inlet from a few years ago.

I'm sure others can come with many more ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to Mickey and Cowsgomoo (indeedydo)
Great potos of Cape Conran.
I will get the charts out this weekend and start dreaming.... :idea: