Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the forum
Just got my TI delivered this week and picked up a small trailer from harbor freight and got it together today. Now working on the supports for the TI,ran out of daylight. I will post pictures later.

Last Wednesday I received this
hobie01 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Last edited by Jimun on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to the pics.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome ... I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the McG.

I've read several people here coming from larger boats and downsizing to an AI/TI - for me, while I'd always want an AI around ... I've dreamed of having something bigger that I can still trailer. McGregor, CorsairF2x, ...

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Passwind
I started sailing a 16' open sailboat about 15 yrs ago, then I got a 20' balboa, it was a fun little boat but camping in it was like sleeping in a pup tent. I am 6' 4" tall and I did not fit very well. 7 yrs ago I got the 26x Mac. and I loved it. overnighting in Mission Bay near San Diego was great. There is a 7' long bed under the cockpit area. That is one of the reasons I got it the other is it was only around 3000# to 3500# towing weight since your main ballast is water. I sold it because I did not get it out for over a year and a half. Plus I was still making payments. Here is a great website that goes in to detail: http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/murrelet.htm.

Last edited by Jimun on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last Friday I picked up a trailer at Harbor Freight and I put it together Saturday
hobie03 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Late Saturday I started on my DIY cradles
hobie04 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Started back to work on it Sunday afternoon.
I started with 2x8's and 1/2" and 1 1/4" PVC and some foam (I cut up my wifes floating mat she uses in the pool to suntan)
hobie05 by Jimun1, on Flickr

I did ask first before I made the first cut
hobie06 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Here I have fastened the PVC on the 2x8's to match the hull lines
hobie07 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Now I attached the 2x8's to 2 4x4x10' runners and set on trailer.
hobie08 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Test fit TI on cradles
Front view
hobie09 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Rear cradle view.
hobie10 by Jimun1, on Flickr

I still have some adjustments to do and I need to fit the amas to the cradles to. Darn I ran out of daylight. I will have to wait to Friday to get back at it. I am taking the trailer tomorrow to get registered and then I need to extend the tongue. Almost there I think!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Passwind,

Have I got the boat for you! We've thoroughly enjoyed sailing a MacGregor 26M since the spring of 2005. Just over a year ago, while we were shopping for a new trailer for the Mac at the 2011 Baltimore Boat Show, we discovered the Hobie Islands [theirs were the only sails visible on the entire show floor]. We came home with our tandem-axle trailer order in hand, but couldn't shake our lust for the Hobies, and within a month we'd purchased a leftover 2010 TI from a local dealer.

Fast forward to 2012, the TI is SO MUCH FUN, but even with the tramps, it is at most a 3-person craft, so we are now on the hunt for a used multihull cruiser. Check out our Mac at http://www.yachts.com/listings/1385.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finished my trailer yesterday. Still need to paint the tongue extension. But everthing else is ready to go.
hobie11 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Put my mast together and installed the sail. Attached mast and checked all lines. Everthing looks good. Now all I need is good weather next weekend for the madain voyage.
I also had to adjust the steering on the rudder. It only moved half the distance turning left. I believe I got it right now, it turns the same distance both ways now.

I would like to thank eveyone on this sight for all the info I was able to gleen from. It is a big help to have the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Although not a TI guy, your posts interested me for the sheer difference in crafts you are talking about and the trailer design. I'm curious how that would work for my 2nd H16. Any details about tongue extension you can provide that fir that trailer would be great. Thanks.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sold my Young 7.5m (below) and bought a TI.
And haven't looked back.
Had the Young for 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed the cruising and racing but now have ordered a caravan and car topping the TI. The van will be a little less cramped than the Young Trailer Sailer and with more creature comforts. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very creative customized trailer! Nice work.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. I too sold my much larger fiberglass tri and bought a TI, Im very happy with the TI the fact that I can launch and or pull it up any beach makes it much more fun.
great job on the trailer.

Gil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi hawk592,
I try to keep my cost down by doing what I can. The trailer kit comes in 2 boxes from Harbor Freight and you put it together. I put it all together and had to put a bed on it so I could get it registered here in Calif. I removed the tongue that is bolted on with 4 bolts and I got a piece of 1x2 thick wall tubing that I could insert into the original tongue and drilled new 3 new holes to bolt it together. The orginal tongue only attached to the first 2 cross members on the trailer but I bolted the extension to all 3 cross members. I had some flexing that 2x2 tubing would have worked better, so now I might I to attach a brace to my 1x2. I have seen some people that have replace the tongue with 2 1/2x2 1/2 in tubing. But Iwas told by the DMV I had to keep the tongue because of the manufacturer plates attached to it or else I would have to have it inspected by the CHP. Here are a couple of Pictures:

hobie12 by Jimun1, on Flickr

hobie13 by Jimun1, on Flickr

Last edited by Jimun on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the details. I'll double check with strict rules around here for trailers to see if your approach will work for me, thanks.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just one question.. as the Hobie glass cradles are only around $200, wouldn't it have been easier (and even closer fit) to have used them instead?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi tonyscott

The trailer cost me $240 with tax and I spent another $90 for wood and bolts. The PVC pipe, blue foam pad and carpet i had laying around. The cradles would have been an extra $220. The cradles would also need the wood (or metal) support to bolt to.