Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: informal racing rules
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was out doing some relaxed sailing today on a Hobie AI (ice just off the lake). The lake I sail at has a lot of sailboat racing and while I was on a reach, another sailboat (a 19 foot lightning) did a tack as we were crossing so that we were on the same tack and fairly close to each other- which I took to mean he wanted to do an informal race. Well.. I took full advantage of the AI and used the peddles. This was in about 5 to 10 mph winds. lightning racer guy found out that a sailed/peddled AI is faster in these conditions on pretty much all angles (he didnt use a spinaker). But I would have been way slower just using sail alone.

Was I cheating? I would have had no problem if racer guy would have used oars to make if fair- but not his gas outboard. I was also out to get some excercise - would have been peddling no matter what.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As this was an informal race I say you won fair and square. Just think of it lik ur a hybrid :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have wondered the same thing as sometimes our TI will turn into the wind no problem at all and yet at other times I use the peddles to assist... so begs the question, If we were club sailing around the bouys would it be permissable to use the peddles to assist in tacking or would purists argue that it should be by sail and rudder alone??? And if allowed for tacking then what be the rules for how long and far one may use them as you did. What a conundrum... :?

Just read the thread on AI /TI racing rules and whilst the three formats look like a great start, I wonder how many clubs have a fleet of AIs or TIs to warrant the race rules? How then would we compete in a mixed fleet albeit with a handicap system??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In non-AI/TI sailing races, the purists even frown on "pumping" the rudder to help you through a tack. The philosophy seems to be that no human effort should be used in the direct propulsion of the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Simple! Just give a wide grin as you pull away! Feel no guilt for choosing a more efficient craft and as the slogan says, Have a Hobie Day!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can always get a dodger, so they can't tell you're pedalling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

LOL at the dodger disguise. :lol:
or a rack of half a dozen inconspicuous torqeedo electric motors hidden under the hull. :wink:

Can't wait to start exploring all the great capabilities of the TI. Got one a few weeks ago, but weather here in HK has been horrible (rainy and cold). Really looking forward to a fun summer.

-Pesan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few years ago my 13 YO kid went out past where he was supposed to and was passing all these racing guys - and he had a dog on the boat.. I don't think the racing guys found this humorous... I was too far away to tell him to stay out of the way.

This picture is from yesterday - toasty warm in the dry suit..