Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt anyone who may know, can I purchase the AKA connector by itself? Actually I would like to purchase 4 of them. For a 2011 AI. Mine are fine, I want to use them to hold the AMAs upside down, above the kayak when trailering. So I would plug these into the braces on the boat when packing up and create an upward facing holder for the AMA since I don not travel with the AMAs attached.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why don't you just put the existing akas in upside down?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Chris, I just want to use the cast connector, not the entire AKA, I do not want the length. I want to use just the 4 inch connector and I will install a bolt and attachment through the knuckle in a rigid fashion pointing upward. If successful I would be able to take out the AKA assembly, plug in one these new devices in each of the 4 receivers and rigidly hold the AMA (upside down) just above the kayak without touching the kayak. This creates a more secure & narrow package to trailer. Two things I do not like about the cradles, the width of an AI or TI (AMAs folded in) when transporting and the movement. If you are going short distances, no issue, however if you plan to transport travel many miles to your destination I fear the extra wear and tear with everything attached even if it is folded in. I suspect a lot of owners have more wear and tear from transporting rather than use! I don't fully understand the desire to keep AMA and AKA attached since it takes so little time to assemble, again I referr to trailering my boats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I trailer my TI using the Hobie cradles. I have additional rubber roller guides at the bow and stern to help stabilize the TI. I have noticed no real wear under the hull and amas, where they ride on the cradles.
However, I do try to keep the 'carpeting' on the cradles clean. The hull/amas could get scratched or abraded if you don't clean the carpeting before moving the TI onto the trailer.
Even tho' Hobie does not recommend it, I use my TI cover when trailering the TI.
I added more hold down straps to keep the cover from flapping. The cover keeps the TI (and cradles) clean from road material.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could also just rest the Amas on top of 4 cheap Aka end caps (set in alumimun tubing or PVC.

Part 79520301. In the catalog.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The parts to an aka are not available seperately unfortunately. There are a number of contraptions that people have made over the years and posted in this forum that address transportation. Hopefully you're able to get some ideas and come up with something that works for you.