Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

During this years EC on February 6th I arrived at the Check Point at Chokoloskii , Florida. across from the Outdoor Resorts boat docks. It was extreme low tide and I was deep in the mud.

Leaving the check point I had to drag my boat through the mud. At one point I removed my life jacket because I was getting overheated. My video camera with all the great shots was in my jacket pocket not snapped in. I believe at this point the camera slipped out of the jacket and fell through the open Mirage well. The boat would have been pulled over it.

The data on this Camera is valuable to me. It has many great shots of my EC trip.

=================
I am offering a $100 reward for the Camera Data.
=================

You can keep the camera. The camera was a Green SANYO waterproof Camera. It can stay down at this depth for a while.

1: LAT: 25.81866
LON: 81.36023

2: LAT: 25.81833 ~Jacket Removed
LON: 81.36093

3: LAT: 25.81561
LON: 81.36343

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul next Friday we are sailing to pavilion key for camping and fishing for a couple of days we launch on the other side of the causeway we sail off at arround 1 pm. I will be there a little earlier to look for your camera if it's not under sediment and visible I should be able to find it as the water is very shallow and clear on that side, ps if I find it I will send it to you and will not acept any reward.

Gil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I do not think that the camera will be just on top. It fell through the Mirage well while I was pulling the boat through the mud. The boat would have run over it pushing it further in.

Anyone with a metal detector???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DogsLife wrote:
I do not think that the camera will be just on top. It fell through the Mirage well while I was pulling the boat through the mud. The boat would have run over it pushing it further in.

Anyone with a metal detector???

I thought about the detector but I think it would take a special one to detect under 2' of water as it will be high tide when I am to look for it, Bass pro has them but those things are not water proof. I have the route in my GPS so I thought I'll give it a try with a plastic garden rake.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I appreciate the effort if you are going there and just looking.

I noticed that my camera was gone about at the half way point to the little marina at the point. I did not have the energy to turn around and retrace my steps. I had been up ~28 Hours and covered a lot of miles:

1) Woke up at Pine Island Bridge, low tide. Had to empty boat and move it to the water line.

2) Peddle down Matlacha winding waterway at low tide to Sanibel Bridge. (Punta Rassa).

3) Went to get a new GPS from West Marine.

4) Sail through the night to Marco Island at high speeds.

5) Rounded Cape Romano over the shoals in the dark.

6) Straight head wind to Indian Key. Had to peddle sail all the way.

7) Sunrise arrived at Indian Key Pass just as the tide started going out.

8 ) Fought the current up the pass to Chokoloskee Bay.

9) Turning into Chokoloskee bay ran over rocks and bent back my Mirage drive.

10) Got stuck several times in the bay in the mud and at the check point...

Loosing the Camera was my Low Point of the Race...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to say this will be 'a needle in a haystack' search. If you lost it in early February, it will probably have been moved a considerable amount by wave action. And if the bottom is muddy, the camera will migrate downward into the substrate.
You may wish to post a couple of reward posters in the neighborhood. Your map shows that you dropped the camera fairly close to shore. Most shallow wave activity is to move loose objects up onto the swash zone. The color of the camera should be noticeable enough for a beach comber to see it and recover it. If you have posters out, you may be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Camera was lost March 6th, a weekago. If I do not try I will regret this for a long time. A thousand years from now it might be dug up as a artifact. They will wonder what that fool was doing in a storm in such a small craft. Why did he not just use a Teletransporter???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The area Dogs lost the camera is mud, mud, mud. And the water is not clear, so you cannot see the bottom except maybe at extreme low tide. Sorry to be so pessimistic.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a link to a kayak tour operation on Choko and maybe they will post a reward notice for you:

http://www.evergladesareatours.com/contact.htm

I also put a post on the Paradise Coast Paddlers Club in Naples. They have a fairly active yahoo discussion group. They usually have members paddling out of the ranger station quite frequently.

"When the going gets tough, the tough drink tea." Jon Turk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I'm gone try anyway I should have about an hour and a half to wade through the route, I was standing on that beach a couple of weeks ago and I tell you the water on that side is much clearer than the other side of the causeway just look at the photo. I was talking to a friend that knows the waters very well and he tels me that what buries things is the tides moving enormous amounts of silt, even large objects like lobster traps get buried in sediment if left unatended.
Oh and I met with Mike Barnett he came to pick up a mast that I had for his Try for next years race, any how he he was manning the Cholosky check point
and told me that the sight of you guys wading thru the mud and coming up to the check point was not a pretty one.
Gil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i own an underwater metal detector. It requires a considerable sized ferrous metal object, to be able to detect it. A friend dropped a Rolex watch overboard and we dove immediately...the detector could not find it even tho' the watch has just sunk into the mud on the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DogsLife wrote:
1: LAT: 25.81866
LON: 81.36023

2: LAT: 25.81833 ~Jacket Removed
LON: 81.36093

3: LAT: 25.81561
LON: 81.36343

Paul, this morning I pulled out my GPS and looked at the area where you left cp2 and it seems my gps coordinates are different. I'm showing that the area where you removed your jacket to be about 25.49.064 by 81.21.643

I'm still learning how to use my gps but I wanted to mention this in case there was a mistake and you're relaying these coordinates to kayak clubs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I took these coordinates off the SPOT data. If I knew how I would post the whole SPOT GPX file.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok, I learned something this morning about spot positions and latitude and longitude. Very educational. I found a converter online that allows you to drill into google maps. Quite interesting. http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul sorry to report that I could not find your camerera, I waded the route back and forward twice with no luck, at one point I felt a solid object in the mood a very corroded two barrel carter carburator. the mood is deep and very light at the top layer, any object dropped in that mood disappears instantly.

Gil