Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ram mount locations AI?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have two 2011 AI's and want to mount a few items via ram mounts. GPS / Chartplotter etc for costal trips and to Catalina
Obviously, I do NOT want to place them in the wrong location from the get go.
Pictures of similar, recommendations for placement or equipment is greatly appreciated.
Sorry but my computer is acting up so searching this shows no results. Admins feel free to send me where it should be if necessary
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mount locations depend on several factors...the first is a convenient place to see the display, etc. But also very important is the ease of attaching the base to the hull. Don't drill bolt holes and then find that you can't reach far enough to secure the locking nuts (personal experience, lol).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TY TIDALWAVE.
Because the AI has so many built in options I hate to place anything only to find out later I goofed.
Looking around to read or see far beats anything getting in a tangled mess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ended up using the Ram mounts for a 1.5" diameter bar. That put the fishfinder/gps within reach but out of the way of the rigging, etc

1.5" diameter bar mount, 4" arm, then the FF base plate worked best.

I'd post some pics but the boat is in the process of being broken down...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All the suggestions are good.

However how big is your screen?

How good is your eyesight?

How close are you to your battery source? Keep it as short as possible as longer cables cause more electrical resistance.

Are you right or left handed? If you are a lefty, you may want to put the plotter on the Starboard side...maybe. If you fish, which side is your preferred side for landing a fish. I suggest the opposite side of that is where you want your plotter/sounder.

The 3.5" RAM extension should allow you to pull the sounder closer to you if you are using split screen to GPS and sounder view at the same time without having to squint. You'll find that the rudder handle will dictate exactly how close you can get with this mount (if mounted close to port midships). As it is round and not the easiest thing to mount. Also once you have it figured, check underneath and make sure you don't drill into your control lines....

Those are really important factors (before you drill)

I suggest that you tape down your setup before you drill and adjust as needed as you sit in the boat with your drive in motion. The last thing you want is to bang your leg into the gear with each stroke as you pedal....

This previous post may help:

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=36526

also a film clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8kl0LxIDZI

BTW: really look close at the weight of what you add, out of all the mounting systems, the RAM is one of the heaviest as it is almost all metal: alum, stainless steel and rubber. For a heavy item such as a chartplotter/sonar, yes it is a good choice but be carefull as you add more gear, as the total weight can really add up quickly ....

Yup you want the 1.5" ball mount, unless you have a really light load on the other end.

Best regards
Trinomite
aka: Fred

Last edited by Trinomite on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you cannot acces the URLs I posted in my previous note to you, let me know and I`ll email them to you.

Regards
Fred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great advise all, Thank you!!

I'm currently in the process of making the tops of my Twist n Seal hatches solar panels to help keep some juice in the battery while out on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crazy
How much wattage are you getting out of your panels on the Hatches?
I would venture to think that is is very low wattage.
If you want to use solar panels to charge your battery you will need some serious square footage for a product like PowerFilm:

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/rollable- ... argers.php

Solar panels that you can either fold up or roll up are not even close to what NASA sticks on their satelites in terms of output.

Here's the next question: Where do you live? Look up the average hours of sunlight in your area.

Just to gain 10 watts on Powerfilm will use up half of a tramp and set you back a serious chunk of change.

If you go that way, I suggest a Morning Star 7 amp solar controller at about $80-$100. If you are only interested in pulling power when your boat's 'asleep' consider a standard 30-50 watt Sunforce solar panel like what they stick on the roof of those lux homes in the middle of Nowhere. This is the best tech at this time and it WILL charge your battery in a day. Without the Controller, your battery will blow up, quite as simple as that...ergo the extra $80-$100 dollars.
You also need to keep your boat covered or the UV will seriously shorten the lifespan of your boat and it's components. The Cover is Bombproof (and not meant for hauling. It is a simple $150 investment to keep your toy shiny and new. (Btw: the built in bright red flag on the end of my cover is now very pink after sun exposure for 3 months. Nothing more on this subject need be said, I think)

If your dog jumps on your tramp, your PowerFilm may now end up being Dog Doodies (and a possible afro on your dog, if he get's it right....!.

M8, I wish there was another way around this, yet until the efficiency of the products very sharply rises and the nutty price syndrome drops way steep, I suggest you simply connect a good sealed gel cell battery in a Pelican box with a waterproof connection and haul it ashore and connect it to your batt charger after daily use.

Trust me, it will save you a ton of money and less torn out hair. (If you need longer use buy the same battery and setup, times two, at twice the weight)

(However, if you want to talk about Wind turbines....well now, we're talking... but not on a 16/18' daysailer...try a 35 to 40 foot plus offshore yacht that can mount 2 helix wind turbines on a very solid base).
Yah, a buddy of mine almost literally got decapitated when the prop from his old school wind generator came loose in heavy seas and almost killed him and his wife.

Nothing comes easy, my friend, or we would all be sitting on top of Mt Olympus, dictating to the Greeks how to get out of their horrible financial mess of tax dodging and bribes to get anything done in this messed up country..

Be well (remember also, that those twist and seal hatches are a soft plastic black hatch and they need a ton of waterproofing if you run bolts and wires through them...and constant checking for leaks as a bolted on addition can warp the underneath seal unless the nuts and bolts are properly fastened in turn (like adding torque when you change a tire)

Regards, friend]
Fred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep Fred...dead on right.
I dumped the solar idea on the twist hatches and went for a stronger Amorphous "waterproof" panel that sits perfectly on my front hatch.
For batteries I originally went went for two SLA/AGM connected in Parallel so that I had the aH I wanted. While this setup works great those batteries are heavy. I am building a box that holds two laptop batteries...same output 2/3 less weight and better life. The panel is putting out 450 mha and my unit uses 250.

I'm in So Cal and try to sail and play when the weather is nice but have had far too much fun heading back to port because the weather changed FAST. I mainly play coastal not lakes except for Lake Havasu in AZ

I was SO happy to see the 2012 catalog. There are half the toys I have now.
Lowrance Elite 4 (But I have the Gold so charts are in it) I used the ram they recommended and it rocks. For fishing the DSI might be better but those stinking chart cards are 100+ I am happy with the way it all works

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PS: While I was not on the water this long I'm getting an easy 57 hrs with the Lowrance on all the time. If the sun is playing, little battery discharge if any noticible and it can get the batteries back during daytime.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey I am interested to see a photo of your solar pannel set up.
Is it flexible so you can curve it to the hatch or is it flat.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I had a few issues with my last setup so I tossed it.
It's still a work in progress BUT:
Two UPS 7.2 AGM batteries in Parallel.
Instapark solar panel that is a perfect fit on the front hatch. It did take a little work to make it really waterproof. Because I'm still playing with it foam pads and the standard bungees hold it in place
http://www.instapark.com/solar-power-pa ... oller.html
I have left my Lowrance on for 7 straight days and nights. Any night time loss is regained during sunlight.
I may be wrong but as it stands now, it can continue forever with power on

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass