Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We had the new TI out yesterday (2nd time out) on Sandusky Bay. What a great boat. It sails great, handles great and being able to share the ride was a HUGE bonus. Next, install the tramps.

One thing I did notice is the forward bungees on the amas really allow the amas to bounce away from the akas. I totally understand why owners are modifying to a double bungee setup on the forward aka/ama attachment and I'll be doing the same.
Perhaps I'll just install the next heavier/thicker bungee size instead of installing two bungees. Has anyone done that? If so, how did it work?

It was a wet ride with wind around 10-15 and 1-2ft. waves with whitecaps. I need to figure out how to tune the rig...GPS said max speed was about 7.5mph. From the numbers everyone has been posting, we should have been sailing faster.

It was still a thrill and often we just laughed and whooped out loud.

This is one great boat.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jkoz, Hello and welcome to the TI family. Yes the boats are wet, and spray skirts and tramps help but if you dry at the end you missed a lot of fun. :lol:
With the tramps you can level the boat while sailing and gain speed. Trying to keep the leeward AMA on top of the water not under adds to the speed. The TI is the most versatile boat I have ever owned. And the most fun.....Enjoy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jkoz wrote:
One thing I did notice is the forward bungees on the amas really allow the amas to bounce away from the akas. I totally understand why owners are modifying to a double bungee setup on the forward aka/ama attachment and I'll be doing the same.
Perhaps I'll just install the next heavier/thicker bungee size instead of installing two bungees. Has anyone done that? If so, how did it work?
Jim

Welcome to the club, Jim,

It's a ton of fun. Sandusky, Ohio?, if so that's nice sailing area. I was last there when the remnants of hurricane Hugo (I think) went though and there was a twenty foot following seas.

Double bungees, thicker bungees, and lashing all work extremely well

see posts here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=43157
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40730&hilit=+double+bungee+
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=42732&hilit=+double+bungee+

there are other methods and various strengths and weaknesses of each. For example, lashing is near permanent which is great if you trailer but not so good if you cartop.

Having done both, I like the lashing: no movement what so ever.

Cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

double, seperate bungee's offer a factor away from single point of failure

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for those links to the bouncing ama solutions. I'm planning to install a double-bungee setup on the amas.

However, I noticed that the 5/16 bungees on the amas are rather "stretchy", the kind I might use to attach hatch covers, deck lashings, etc. It seems Hobie used this throughout. It's more like shock cord and less like the kind of bungee I'd use for any load bearing purpose.

I have some much tighter weave and less stretchy 1/4" bungee cord that I'm going to install and see how that works. Will be sailing tomorrow and will test it out.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jkoz wrote:
I have some much tighter weave and less stretchy 1/4" bungee cord that I'm going to install and see how that works. Will be sailing tomorrow and will test it out.
That seems to be what Hobie is now using.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Strange, as my 2012 TI has what look like 5/16th bungees which are really quite strong, to the point where I often find myself needing both hands to stretch it over the knob. I also have not observed any movement between akas and amas while sailing. Maybe jkoz has experienced a screw-up in the manufacturing process?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
Strange, as my 2012 TI has what look like 5/16th bungees which are really quite strong, to the point where I often find myself needing both hands to stretch it over the knob. I also have not observed any movement between akas and amas while sailing. Maybe jkoz has experienced a screw-up in the manufacturing process?

Hm. You're describing a completely different experience. Mine are definitely 5/16 but both front amas can dip as much as 2" going through the waves. The banging noise that creates is also irritating.

My amas are bungee jumping :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've installed the tighter, less-stretchy 1/4" on the front.

I also swapped out the bungee stops with pad eyes on the rear mount, then simply installed a continuous loop with the ends held fast with a pair of hog rings. This seems very secure. I'll do the same when the extra buttons arrive from my dealer.

I got this bungee from a local marine dealer. It's very different than the stuff you'll find at the local home improvement store. More strands of rubber and tighter weave.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All, just recently purchased the Tandum Island (never sailed before) I experienced the bungee jumping also and thought about the same cures. I have never owned a boat I had so much fun with and its a rocket compared to paddeling!! I can not believe how fast it goes. I think I will get the tramps and see if I can get more speed. I am 65 but still enjoy getting out on the water and hope to take this to NZ next year and sail it there.